1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is there a Movement Afoot to become Charismatic

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with you about the online stuff and I think we've done a good job of making sure that anyone visiting our site has an idea of who we are and what we're about. You can listen to a message, see iTunes links to the songs we do, see what's going on with our missionaries and learn of all of the classes we're offering this semester! :)

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good..... that shows somebody did their homework & implemented a responsible web-page.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbs: When I ran the website, I wanted people to get a sense of who we were before they had any other contact with us. That's why I even implemented the music links. This way someone who wanted to know what our worship was like could check it out. I worked at least 10 hours a week keeping it up to date so that it was the best website it could be. Now we have others taking care of it and doing similar work to what I did.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great job:thumbs:

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely nothing to do with honesty.

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. We have "Baptist" in our name, but the name "baptist" isn't a bad thing in this region. We have had hurricanes and the lead workers helping feed and clothe people have been Baptists. We saw the same thing in New Orleans after Katrina.

But in many areas churches are having to explain that not all baptists are like Westboro instead of just being able to talk about Jesus.

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Thanks WD, I was "raised" in mostly SBC Churches, but I refuse to wear an SBC lapel pin etc. Seems to me being a follower and disciple of Christ is infinitely more important than a denominational designation.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has everything to do with honesty. If you are hiding who you are then what more needs to be said.

9. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does not putting Baptist on a sign or in our name hide what we are? That much can be seen by looking at a doctrinal statment.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are merely begging the question by assuming hiding is the reason for doing it.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My original statement was "Removing Baptist from the name in order to hide who you are from possible visitors is dishonest."

12. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

It is "dishonest" if the intent is as you say, to "disguise" . If the name change is to seek to broaden the invitation to the community of the church, then I see nothing wrong or dishonest. We are "Christ followers" first, above and before anything else. Our church, does not have Baptist in its name, though it never did. But we are more "baptist" than anything else. It is imperative that churches communicate with clarity where they stand on essentials.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You say your Christ Followers 1st.....fine but I get that same commentary from RC's, Presbyterians, CofC's, etc so who do I know who you truly are? when I do a search on my PC, I type in Baptist Churches in a given area so unless you have someway to categorize yourself as Baptist ---and I dont know if you can or cant, Im a gonna pass you by. Then if I do perceive you to be "Baptistic", my 1st question will be how come......... cause I have seen too many churches attempting to hide it or like this Charismatic guy I mentioned earlier. Ive seen them do this to another church & they displaced allot of good & loyal Baptists because some shite for brains pastor wanted to take the church in another direction.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wouldn't take the name of a church as exactly who they are any more than I'd take a "pizza" place as making good pizza. I'd have to check it out myself first and see if it is good or not. Like I said, I've been to Baptist churches that I wouldn't darken the doorway again but then I've been in unnamed churches (no denominational name in their name) that were fabulous. A name is a name but it's what goes on inside the church that matters.

15. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've Got News For You!

.....we will be in eternity together. You won't be able to shut me out of there! :smilewinkgrin:

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There will be a special room for you there though...I believe they put all Californians there. BTW...hell is the room marked "New Jersey ":smilewinkgrin:

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will have to explain to me what the difference is between the two statements.

If the name Baptist will discourage some from visiting because they do not want to go to a Baptist church, and because of that you remove Baptist so they will not initially know you are a Baptist church and go ahead and stop by and visit the church then that is dishonest.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats the trend brother, to attempt to blur the lines so that a Charismatic, a RC, a PCUSA, A Methodist could be comfortable. See "BAPTIST" tells you that you need to change your life......I mean "CHANGE" & thats the last thing a carnal christian (if there is really such a thing) wants to hear. As my MIL said, "Feed them & entertain them & they will come"

Its going to be interesting to see how they (these modern churches w/o the name Baptist) get people into the dunk pool......what push-back they will get outa that phony christian who wants to be entertained & fed) I can hear the response now, "well you aint really a Baptist church anymo is you?" I do know you church folk will get it done though..... POOL PARTY at some rich guys house & make a game of it......"Who wants to go next"

You know, Ive got 53 years of not being a Christian. 32 years of walking the line of Roman Catholic carnality & 21 liberal & or legalistic religious people talking at me (notice I didnt say Christian) & I was still deeply deeply lost in sin (shakes head). Until that fateful day in February, in a car & my way to taking college classes did I hear ...."Brother, how do you say your a Christian yet you deny the Lord by your sinful life. Dont tell me your a Christian & you Love Christ.... you dont & your actions prove that. Your sin is the classic sin of "UNBELIEF"

A boom......a wake up call....a face to face, Come Meet Jesus....a touching the flesh & believe.

Now am I going to a church that doesnt emphasize my salvation, the gospel, the importance of CHANGE & TRANSFORMATION? Could I go back to a church who preaches babies in hell.... I dont think so. I needed a Christian BAPTIST church & thats what I went looking for.... BAPTIST BAPTIST BAPTIST......Not Non denominational, charismatic, we got the most kickin freakin praise band & a chicken dinner later.....you know what, stuff that shite. Talk to me about how God is working in my life, show me how to be obedient, walk with me as I humble myself & meet with the poor & destitute. Real BAPTISTS did that & thats what I want.

#98 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2013
  19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My baptist church does not use the word Baptist in the title, but we do have tell nyone who asks that we are Baptist...

Bog reason for us is that MANY of our members wer formally catholic, and in that area of heavy catholic influence, baptist bad name!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.