1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is there a "universal" church?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 12strings, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Aw, Michael, I'm just havin' a little fun. I realize that there are folks here who go ballistic at any hint of Baptists' existence from the time of Jesus' earthly ministry.

And saying my view that the Universal Church is non-existence is a Satanic accomplishment is a little over the top.

I'm just pushing hot buttons. Gotcha.

Oh, and I guess you pushed mine, too. Got me.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

As DHK points, a church (ecclesia) by definition, assembles. The "Church," as you define it, can never meet. Or do anything else, for that matter.

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Philip baptized the eunuch under the authority of the church at Jerusalem, of which Philip was a deacon and an evangelist.

We have a number of instances in the scriptures where a church acted as a body.
    1. The selection of Matthias to replace Judas (Acts 1:23-26).
    2. The selection of the seven deacons. The congregation picked them. (Acts 6:2-3)
    3. The selection of Paul and Barnabas as missionaries by the congregation at Antioch. They did this independently of the church at Jerusalem.
    4. The exclusion by the church at Corinth of the incestuous member (I Cor 5) The followup in II Cor 2:6 notes that the action was taken by "many." Not the elders, not the deacons, but the members. Paul called on those same "many" to restore the repentant member.

The method each congregation used to express its will may be different from the votes we take today. But it is obvious that the congregations did use some method determine the will of the congregation. It is reasonable that a congregation which acts to exclude a member may also act to admit one.

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Sure they can! They can worship God in Spirit and Truth and one day they will all, Old Testament Saints and New Testament Saints, be with God in the New Heavens and New Earth.:godisgood:

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The Apostle Paul gives us a picture of the Church universal in the following Scripture!

19. Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
    20. And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
    21. In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
    22. In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I have to say that I agree with your take on this.

Bet you thought I'd never say something like that. :)

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

They're assembling today? Where?

And one day, we'll all assemble before the throne. But it won't be a Universal Church. It'll be a visible, assembling congregation--the only one there is.

Until then, it's not assembling, thus not a church.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I always worship God in Spirit and in truth. How do you worship Him? I worship Him in Spirit and in truth whether I am gathered with fellow believers in the local church or in my own devotions. I don't worship idols. :eek:

9. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

So, which church in Jerusalem was the eunuch added to? When was he added & by whom? There were numerous groups meeting in houses, the temple, & wherever they could meet. There was not one giant mega local church that met together at appointed times of the week.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Church are the saints that have been saved by grace of god, and when the come together in their local churches on Sunday, the total number that are the saved in each local church is amount of universal church!

ALL persons in Universal Church are saved, just SOME in local church are!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When early christians were saved by God, and there was not a local assembly of christian s yet in area to make a local church, were they saved?

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Of course they were saved. No man is an island. By nature we seek out others, usually those of like faith and order. It is only natural a Christian would seek out brethren (a church) to fellowship with. That is what Paul did. And he was a murderer that no one trusted.

13. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Is that a serious question? Believers ARE the Church. How many Christians does it take to comprise a local church? One, three, 103? Seriously, what is necessary for assembled believers to be considered a local church by local-onlyers?

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

One church, several preaching stations. We know they met because they had a business meeting to replace Judas.

15. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said: "Where ever two or three of you are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst."

What? Not many, outdoors, without a Broadman published Church covenant, without cyberspace--not my Church...

"In My Name" is the pivotal qualifier. By whose authority do we do these things? There is a lot of counterfeit church out there.

The Book of Acts certainly indicates a sending out from an authorized local body being led by The Spirit, The Holy, Who immersed the first NT Church located in Jerusalem.(The one Jesus gathered from the shores of Galilee: "Come, follow Me, I will make you fishers of men..." There is a certain vested authority which can only be transferred by vested authority. Mt. 16, and 28 (Jesus' authority) was given to the First Church which passed it to the Second Church and so on. This does not mean there are strings attached from the tenth to the first. Each assembly is autonomous, sovereign, giving account to Jesus, the only authorized vicar.

The problem comes in when we try to vest the authority in men, regenerated or not.

The concept of universal church has led many to a universal bishop and state sponsored religion--early in church history. Somebody apostasized and continues to be such. Reformed apostasy is still apostasy--reformed. It matters not how many reformations are implemented. The Bride of Christ has not apostasized--she cannot--led by The Holy Spirit and kept by Jesus--as promised.

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

#95 Bro. James, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
  16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Acts 1:15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,)

It is interesting to note, that while they waited for the Holy Spirit to come the Book of Acts records the number of names, not the number of people. It is almost as if a membership roll was present. One must ask why the Holy Spirit didn't inspire the phrase "the number of people," to be recorded, and why it was the "the number of names." This was the beginning of the church at Jerusalem to which 3,000 more names would be added and every day as the Lord would give increase other names would be added. There was a membership.

This membership is explained in more detail in 1Corinthians chapter 11. Every member has an obligation. Not every member has the same talent and ability. Not all can be the head or the hand. We each have our own ability to use as the Lord has given us. This description could in no way be applied to any universal church. It can only work in a local assembly.

"Where one member sorrows then all the members sorrow." If one member of the church is going through a tragedy then all the members of that church goes through that tragedy with her/him. They also feel the heartache and are able to comfort. Is that possible if the believer is in Africa, South America, Australia, etc. No. Of course not. The illustration of the "body" with its different members can only fit a local church.

17. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Could have something to do with the book of life.

When Jesus said and upon this Rock I will build my church, what did he mean?
    Build what, where? Is it still being built?

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just asking that IF there is not an Universal church, but only local churches, is one saved who does not member in one?

19. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

We agree. The Church is One Church & One Body with many members (preaching stations) around the world & throughout the ages. The Church at Jerusalem was a massive organism that did not meet together as one local body. It was divided into many smaller groups that met when & where they could for teaching & mutual edification. The Church at Jerusalem was a spiritual body comprised of thousands of believing souls that was spread over an entire city. Thanks for that great description of the universal Church. :D

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is being built in every Bible believing Church that has the Bible as its foundation and Christ as its head. The local church is God's ordained institution of this day and age.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.