1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is there any historical evidence for the Baptist position on Baptism?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Wittenberger, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And I will take my stand on the Church Jesus Established and abide by the full teaching of the Aposltes which includes Scripture.
    Rather than stand on the man-made error of interpreting the scripture text as each on sees fit a modern relation to what happened in the book of Judges.
    which scripture warns against by saying

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :eek: You seriously believe that the RCC is "The Church that Jesus Established"?!? :BangHead:

My God, what brand of beer have you been drinking lately!!!

3. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes I do. Because Jesus said he would build his church
    and thus Jesus estblished a visible church. And haven't been drinking beer lately. Trying to lose some weight!

#283 Thinkingstuff, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When He said Church, I don't think he meant specifically the Roman Catholic Church. That automatically would preclude Baptists, & others that clearly...CLEARLY are Christian in origin & belief.

In other words, your telling us that the RCC is the one & only true church! Now you are starting to sound like my mother did in the 60's. Later she recanted.

5. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, I don't think he had a title for it. But he certainly established his church and used his apostles to build it. It bacame known as the way then members were called Christians by pagans and the Early Church took on that Moniker because they liked it. And later as we can see in Ignatius writings the Term Catholic was applied because they were stressing a univerasality of faith or unitified belief to differentiate themselves from the gnostic and other sects that attempted to modify the teachings passed down from the apostles themselves. So Jesus establishes a church and meant it to be seen not invisible. The titles came later but its still the same church. Since the Copts, Orthodox, and Protestants come out of that body I view them as subsections of that one church only to the extent that they agree with the consistent teaching of that church.

Well despite what baptist think. I believe baptist came out of the Catholic Church so at one point they had the fulness of teaching and later kept those teachings they liked and excused themselves from the ones they disagreed with therefore there is some orthodoxy to baptist beliefs. But history and scriptures (and this we disagree on) show the origins of Christianity were not baptist.

Depends what you mean. But generally that is what I'm saying. Does this mean you can't be saved. No, I'm not saying that. Does this mean you don't have any truth in your beliefs? No. I'm not saying that either. Can you be saved? Yes. If what you mean by the church is the entire kingdom of God then there is a sense in which you are included in that. However, God is the Judge not I. And so I leave it to him. As far as sounding like your mother, I hope I have more of a baritone. :)

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the Church was started at pentacost by the coming o fthe Holy Spirit in a new way/fashion, and we we now under the new Covenant...

KEY is that his Church already WAS in book of Acts, and NONE would claim that it was the RCC at that time...

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ive got an Idear TS, lets meet somewhere in PA that is neutral ground but conducive to sittin down & chatin......I suggest this place Saturday 9/29 .....

http://www.kennettbrewfest.com/index.html

Works for me! :laugh:...... :godisgood:

8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I can agree with that or when Jesus blew on the Apostles but either date is fine with me.

JThey wouldn't have called it Roman Catholic at that time but I would say they were Catholic as they held a unified belief and or a universal belief or a Catholic Faith.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    they held to the Apsotolic faith, which would be considered today to be pretty much baptist, not RCC!

10. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would say you are entirely wrong. They did not have a baptist faith but much closer to a Catholic Faith. I can point out in scripture that the Early Church had liturgies. Baptist don't have liturgies. And that is just one item. I could go on.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wher ein the bible do you find those being practiced by the early church though?

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Well, you don't, but we will have to save that discussion for another time, or at least another thread for this one has reached its limit of 30 pages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.