1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is there any historical evidence for the Baptist position on Baptism?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Wittenberger, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The Bible is not written by the Author of Confusion. It is designed to be a Revelation of God's will.

Every single solitary false doctrine is due to a failure to interpret the Scriptures by common sense rules of Hermeneutics. Every false teaching is based upon jerking a scripture out of its immediate context.

Those who have the truth can demonstrate it contextually. Those who do not have the truth cannnot demosntrate contextually AND DEMONSTRATE IT BY FLEEING THE SCRIPTURE TO ANOTHER BASIS TO DEFEND THEIR DOCTRINE.

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have read your blog and the only kind of Southern Baptist scholar that could not easily refute it is one who has no training whatsoever in hermeneutics.

Your position cannot be defended by the scriptures and you would flee the scriptures quickly to the only source you have - uninspired opinions of men.

3. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

Allow me to translate...

I am totally ignoring the OP because I know that there is absolutely zero evidence from the historical record to support my positions, thus I must resort to empty rhetoric and claims of the infallibility of hermeneutics - which by the way is NOT a science. :rolleyes:

There ya' go!

WM

4. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Saints at the time of Jesus were not raised from the dead at the time of Jesus, or afterward. Our resurrection is yet to be.

Further, no one is superstitiously trying to make anyone else besides Mary "Queen of Heaven", "Co-Mediatrix", etc.

5. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I have already refuted it in another thread -- by RCC sources!

6. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

So you believe that common sense is what tells you that your interpretation of the Bible is correct? Sounds like pretty shaky ground to me.

Read this verse using "common sense": "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, he that believeth not shall be damned."

Let's substitute some other words in the sentence: "He that buys and ticket and show us at 9 AM will win, but he that does not buy a ticket will lose."

So how does someone "win" in the simple reading of this verse?: They have to both buy a ticket and show up at 9 AM! You don't win just because you buy a ticket.

And if you fail to buy a ticket...you definitely lose!

That's using common sense.

I base my interpretation of the Bible on the plain, simple reading AND looking how the early Christians interpreted the Scripture.

Simply appealing to what you think is the simple reading of a verse is very, very fallable.

But since you asked, here are some verses on Baptism:

http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?bl...editor/target=post;postID=3642038734428657772

Read it, my friend. You will find it interesting.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    salvation comes thru faith in jesus, by the basis of the Cross...

ANYTHING else added to that perverses the Good news!

8. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Catholics believe Mary is the Queen of Heaven. Catholics pray to her. Catholics bow to her images, her images of statues and pictures made by human hands. Your priests offer her incense and burn candles to her. You even ask her for salvation and healing.

How do you ever get that is acceptable to God?

Jeremiah 7:17 Do you not see what they are doing in the towns of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem? 18 The children gather wood, the fathers light the fire, and the women knead the dough and make cakes of bread for the Queen of Heaven. They pour out drink offerings to other gods to provoke me to anger. 19 But am I the one they are provoking? declares the LORD. Are they not rather harming themselves, to their own shame?

It is not okay to worship the Queen of Heaven, no matter who you think she might be.

9. WestminsterMan

I seriously doubt that statement...

WM

10. WestminsterMan

And why exactly do you believe that Catholic doctrine requires people to worship Mary? I suppose that you know people's hearts and intent better than they themselves.

WM

11. Moriah

Moriah New Member

The Catholic priests bow to her image and offer her incense. The Catholic parishioners bow to her and pray to her, asking Mary for things that should only be asked and given by Jesus.

Do not even give the appearance of evil. Catholics show the intent of their hearts, when they bow to, and pray to Mary.

12. WestminsterMan

I think most Catholics/Orthodox would not agree with your underlying premise. Prayer is not always worship nor is bowing, kneeling, or prostrating oneself.

WM

13. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Those things ARE ALWAYS worship.

14. WestminsterMan

Not true! Here's what scripture says...

Genesis 19:1-5 (New International Version)
    Sodom and Gomorrah Destroyed
    1 The two angels arrived at Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gateway of the city. When he saw them, he got up to meet them and bowed down with his face to the ground. 2 "My lords," he said, "please turn aside to your servant's house. You can wash your feet and spend the night and then go on your way early in the morning."
    "No," they answered, "we will spend the night in the square."

Genesis 23:6-8 (New International Version)
    6 "Sir, listen to us. You are a mighty prince among us. Bury your dead in the choicest of our tombs. None of us will refuse you his tomb for burying your dead."
    7 Then Abraham rose and bowed down before the people of the land, the Hittites. 8 He said to them, "If you are willing to let me bury my dead, then listen to me and intercede with Ephron son of Zohar on my behalf

Genesis 23:12-13 (New International Version)
    12 Again Abraham bowed down before the people of the land 13 and he said to Ephron in their hearing, "Listen to me, if you will. I will pay the price of the field. Accept it from me so I can bury my dead there."

Genesis 27:27-30 (New International Version)
    27 So he went to him and kissed him. When Isaac caught the smell of his clothes, he blessed him and said,
    "Ah, the smell of my son
    is like the smell of a field
    that the LORD has blessed.
    28 May God give you of heaven's dew
    and of earth's richness—
    an abundance of grain and new wine.
    29 May nations serve you
    and peoples bow down to you.

Be lord over your brothers,
    and may the sons of your mother bow down to you.
    May those who curse you be cursed
    and those who bless you be blessed."
    30 After Isaac finished blessing him and Jacob had scarcely left his father's presence, his brother Esau came in from hunting.

Genesis 33:1-4 (New International Version)
    Jacob Meets Esau
    1 Jacob looked up and there was Esau, coming with his four hundred men; so he divided the children among Leah, Rachel and the two maidservants. 2 He put the maidservants and their children in front, Leah and her children next, and Rachel and Joseph in the rear. 3 He himself went on ahead and bowed down to the ground seven times as he approached his brother.
    4 But Esau ran to meet Jacob and embraced him; he threw his arms around his neck and kissed him. And they wept.

1 Kings 1:31
    Then Bathsheba bowed low with her face to the ground and, kneeling before the king, said, "May my lord King David live forever!"

1 Kings 8:54
    When Solomon had finished all these prayers and supplications to the LORD, he rose from before the altar of the LORD, where he had been kneeling with his hands spread out toward heaven. (I just threw this one in to prove some here wrong who claimed that no one ever bowed down before the temple.)

Numbers 22:31 New International Version (NIV)
    31 Then the LORD opened Balaam’s eyes, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the road with his sword drawn. So he bowed low and fell facedown.

Exodus 11:8
    All these officials of yours will come to me, bowing down before me and saying, ‘Go, you and all the people who follow you!’ After that I will leave.” Then Moses, hot with anger, left Pharaoh.

Hmmm... praying, kneeling, bowing, or prostrating oneself; if all of "...Those things ARE ALWAYS worship" as you claim, then scripture has some serious contradictions in it - OR - (and more likely) your interpretations of it are wrong. :tonofbricks:

WM

#94 WestminsterMan, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2012
  15. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I tell you what, if your name is Lot, and Sodom and Gomorrah is about to be destroyed, you can get away with a bowed face to the ground when you see two angels.
    When you are Abraham, and you are before the Hittities, and they give you a tomb to bury your dead, you can bow down before them.
    When you are Isaac and your son is Jacob, you can tell him, “May nations serve you and peoples bow down to you.”
    When your brother Esau approaches you, you can bow down to the ground seven times.

When you are Bathsheba, you can bow low your face to the ground and kneel saying, “May my lord King David live forever!”

When you are Balaam, and you see the angel of the LORD standing in the road with his sword drawn, you can bow low and fall facedown.

When you are Moses, you can tell the Pharaoh that his official will come to you and bow before you.

My advice is, since you are none of those people, stop defending sin and teaching others to go against the Word of God.

16. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Catholics bow to their pope. That is sin against God.

Revelation 19:10 At this I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, "Do not do it! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."

Revelation 22:8-9 I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I had heard and seen them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who had been showing them to me. But he said to me, “Don’t do that! I am a fellow servant with you and with your fellow prophets and with all who keep the words of this scroll. Worship God!”

Acts 10:25-26 As Peter entered the house, Cornelius met him and fell at his feet in reverence. But Peter made him get up. “Stand up,” he said, “I am only a man myself.”

Catholics bow to “Holy Images” statues and pictures of the cross, Jesus and Mary.

Exodus 20: 4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them;

No longer bow down to the work of your hands (see Micah 5:13)

The Israelites burned incense to the bronze snake/the-Catholic priest burns incense to the crucifix, and any relics or images of saints.

The bronze snake that Moses had made was broke into pieces because the Israelites had been burning incense to it (see 2 Kings 18:1-4). How do the Catholics ever get that they can burn incense to material objects, if even the bronze snake that Moses made was destroyed because the Israelites burned incense to it?

17. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

This thread is about historical evidence of BAPTISM. Why do you keep talking about Mary? Start your own thread, Please.

Can you Baptists please stay on subject?

18. WestminsterMan

I see. So God made a special exception in these cases. Hmmm... Can you demonstrate that from scripture as i haven't seen any scripture like "thou shalt not worship idols... except for Moses, as I hast given him a break." Really? Hog wash!

Clearly, you have'nt a leg to stand on and I have proven it directly from scripture. Nice try... But no cigar.

WM

19. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

Will one of you Baptists PLEASE tell me where you get your interpretation of Scripture???? Lutherans and Baptists agree that what the Bible says is the Final Authority, but on what authority do you base your understanding of what God is saying in His Word?

So far your answer seems to be this: "the Holy Spirit gives the "true" Christians (Baptists) the proper enlightenment to see and understand the correct interpretation of Scripture."

If that is true then why do you Baptists have so many internal divisions over theological issues?

--some of you are five point Calvinists
    --some of you are three point Calvinists (Calminians)
    --some of you are Arminians
    --some of you believe in a pre-millenial secret Rapture
    --some do not believe in a secret Rapture
    --some are pre-millenial
    --some are post-millenial
    --some are amillenial
    --some believe that Christ is spiritually present in the Lord's Supper (Calvinists)
    --some believe that the Lord's Supper is strictly symbolic
    --some of you believe that teaching the "Sinner's Prayer" is appropriate
    --some of you believe the Sinner's Prayer is superstitious and unscriptural
    --some believe the sinner has a free will
    --some believe that the sinner does not have a free will

If Baptists, who are the "true" Christians, have been enlightened by the Holy Spirit to see and understand the true interpretation of the Bible, then the Holy Spirit has really screwed up because you Baptists are more divided internally on doctrine than any other Christian denomination on the face of the earth!

And why are you Baptists so divided on so many different areas of doctrine? Because each separate Baptist group believes that the Holy Spirit has given THEM the correct interpretation of the Bible, in a quiet inner voice (so that no one can verify whether its the Holy Spirit or Satan himself). Your right, and eveyone else is wrong, because you FEEL in your heart that God is on your side!

And in your individual Baptist churches, each Christian member of the church believes that God can speak to him personally and "move" him or her to do this or that. So one of the deacons stands up at a church business meeting and states that the Lord has spoken to him that the pastor needs to change the direction he is leading the church. The pastor, of course, believes that HE is listening to the Holy Spirit in his inner voice. So two Christians , believing that God is personally directing them, stubbornly persist to push their agenda because God has "moved" or "led" them to do the direct opposite of each other. What happens? The church splits!

How do I know this is true? I grew up in a Baptist church until I was 18. I witnessed these internal battles, both sides claiming the Holy Spirit had "led" them.

So saying that the simple, literal interpretation of the Bible will be obvious to a true believer, is nonsense, as proven by the multitude of divisions and disagreements between you Baptists, "the chosen ones".

Lutherans do not read the Bible and individually decide what the Bible says. We read the Bible and compare it to what early Christians believed the verse meant. Some of these Christians were disciples of the Apostles! Polycarp was a disciple of the Apostle John. You Baptists totally write off all these early men of God as if they were all apostate. When did the Church become a apostate?? You don't answer this question. Give a year or an event.

Bottom line: Baptist seem to believe that the final authority in interpreting scripture is...YOU!

You can say "Scripture interprets Scripture" all you want, but what you are really saying is "My interpretation of Scripture interprets Scripture. I am the finally authority on interpreting Scripture."

If that were not the case you Baptists wouldn't be divided into hundreds of different groups, with all the splinter denominations and cults that have broken off from you when "the Holy Spirit" enlightened them to follow their own "true" interpretation.

20. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I have only commented on the things you Catholics have said in this thread.
    lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.