1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is there any other way to read this verse?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Aug 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not what that verse states as the sequence.

2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can either of you or Rev Mitchel show proof of Gentiles being elect. Does God pronounce them elect? If not you are assuming Gentiles are elect.
    MB

3. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are going to say I subscribe to something then please be accurate. I have said we are saved individually as the corporate body of Christ Jesus. If you do not believe that then I am not sure what you believe.

So here you are saying that unless they were picked out by your version of God then they are condemned to hell without any chance of salvation. Your God does not seem very loving does He.

4. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not “assuming” anything more than what the Scriptures state. The Scriptures state that those appointed to salvation were saved.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) I responded to a post by Mitchell.

2) I do not subscribe to something invented by Wesley in order to bypass Scripture teaching and excuse errors. Corporate election is a human construction and has no Scripture support that does not diminish Divine Attributes. Either God has knowledge of all his creation and every aspect of that creation, irregardless of human time constraints, or one makes Him subservient to time and not the master and manipulator of time.

3) My perception of God’s outpouring of Love does not obligate Him in any manner. He is God, not my small intellectual capacity to question His Divine ways. I am obliged to honor Him by expressing, with as little hinderance as possible, His life through me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Leighton Flowers was/is a moderator of the BB.

Though we agreed in many ways, when he began to drift and put the desire of popularity above the truth, he and I parted. I have not had contact with him in some years.

As he remains connected with the BB, I don’t have the permission to state anything more.

Sufficient it is to state, his views and mine no longer are in agreement.

8. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can say THAT again. (Is there an echo?)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    A) Oh please. Leave the judging to God.

B) You asked for a non-Calvinistic interpretation and got one.

The word ordained does not have in the Bible the Calvinistic connotations that have been infused into it.

God ordained Judas Iscariot (Mk.3:14, John 15:16) along with the 12 to be an apostle and bear fruit, but you know what happened to that divine ordination.

God ordained that preachers should live of the gospel (1Co.9:14) but evidently not all do.

God ordained that we should walk in good works (Eph.2:10) but evidently we do not walk in all those works.

The angels ordained the law (Gal.3:19).

Barnabas and Paul ordained elders (Acts 14:23).

The apostles ordained decrees (Acts 16:4)

The commandment that was ordained to life turned out to be unto death (Rom.7:10).

And if you want to play the never-Biblically-sanctioned let's-show-off-our-Greek-knowledge game, you check out how τάσσω (tassō) is translated in the Bible and see that the connotations are not Calvinistic.

Those Gentiles were ordained to eternal life in so far that God opened (Acts 16:14) their heart to believe the way he had done to Lydia because they sought him by faith and received the love of the truth.

That's Bible, it always was Bible, you probably once knew your Bible that way, and it will always be Bible.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Incorrect assumption.

We all deserve hell

it is a kind living and merciful God that would choose to save anyone.

that’s what it means to be at the mercy of God. We cannot do anything until He does something for us

salvation is a rescue mission by God

the Prophet Jonah said salvation is of the Lord

• Like Like x 2
  11. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You seem to think the word “ordained” is the same as “appointed”.

I would think they are two different words.

Does the account go into such detail, or it showing that “God gives the increase?”

12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It does not say that they were saved before they believed. Rather, ". . . as many as were ordained to eternal life believed." Past tense. That is they had already believed prior to having that eternal life.

. . . και επιστευσαν οσοι ησαν τεταγμενοι εις ζωην αιωνιον.

#32 37818, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certainly, but not as MB posted. (Unless I miss read him).

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    what I said has nothing to do with corporate election

15. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the account go into detail about a pre-creation mysterious-criterion-of-selection non-faith-conditional unilateral decree of God to elect those Gentiles to eternal life?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

16. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, I suppose it just validated it by not having to support the obviousness of God being both the author and finisher. For is it not true:
    4But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved) 6And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: 7That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. 8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

17. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All that is true and is not at issue. 'For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God, through the foolishness of the message preached, to save those who believe.'

But the passage continues, ' For the Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness......' Well that just about cuts everybody out. One group thinks the Gospel is sacrilege, the other thinks it's stupid. Who's going to believe? '........But to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God' (1 Corinthians 1:21-25).

Whether you like it or not, Acts of the Apostles 13:48 stands out in your theology like a proverbial pork pie at a Bar Mitzvah. 'And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.' To the rest it was a stumbling block or foolishness, but those whose hearts the Holy Spirit had called, it was salvation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, since we're quoting random passages:

1Ch 26:16 To Shuppim and Hosah the lot came forth westward, with the gate Shallecheth, by the causeway of the going up, ward against ward.
    1Ch 26:17 Eastward were six Levites, northward four a day, southward four a day, and toward Asuppim two and two.
    1Ch 26:18 At Parbar westward, four at the causeway, and two at Parbar.
    1Ch 26:19 These are the divisions of the porters among the sons of Kore, and among the sons of Merari.

19. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did not what I post contribute to give further validation to the Acts account rather than a random passages?

Because such was the presentation in two different geographic locations, and that the account by two different authors, then it would seem to be accurately portrayed.

#39 agedman, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  20. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I know enough Greek to know that none of the examples that you have given above use the word τάσσω (tassō). But if reference to the Greek is not sanctioned for us, how come it was sanctioned for TYndale and the translators of the KJV. And where exactly is the KJV 'sanctioned' (ordained?) to be the only translation of the Bible?
    Tasso is used eight times in the N.T. In the KJV it is translated as 'ordained' in Romans 13:1; as 'appoint' in Matthew 28:16; Acts 22:10; 28:23; as 'addict' (Archaic usage) in 1 Corinthians 16:15; as 'determine' in Acts 15:2, and as 'set' in Luke 7:3. Those interested can look these occurrences up for themselves. The 'connotations' are perfectly compatible with Calvinism.
    I have never joined in with the haters of the KJV - I am always happy to preach from it when asked - but if KJV-onlyism is being used because the Pastor is too lazy to study the Bible properly (c.f. 2 Timothy 2:15) or to keep people from a proper understanding of the Bible, then the sooner the KJV is consigned to history the better.
    These Gentiles (including Lydia) had never so much as heard of Jesus Christ before. They had been looking into Judaism, but when they heard the Gospel, 'as many as.....' That's every single one without exception! '.....were ordained to eternal life believed.' That's irresistible grace! Praise God for it! No hope without it.
    It's Bible, George, but apparently not as you know it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.