1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is there any other way to read this verse?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Aug 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith, either way, you read it depicts faith based on sovereign election eternally in God.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is incorrect? God has decreed that we are saved because of our faith. He does not have faith for us, that is a calvinist invention.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you have a problem with the idea that God saves those that believe then you have a problem with the bible.

#43 Silverhair, Sep 1, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny you say corporate election is a human construction and yet you hold on to the ultimate human construction "Calvinism. You may not like it but all those that trust in Christ Jesus are elect because we have trusted in Him.

5. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin you hold to "irresistible grace" but I would lay odds that you shy away from the other side of that which would be"irresistible reprobation". That is the logical outcome of the Calvinist theology that you try to cover up or keep in the shadows.
    I do not find calvinism to be biblical but is a man made self aggrandizing theology.
    What I have found is that those that hold to calvinism tend to have a hollier than thou attitude. It's we understand the bible, we have come to understand the deeper things. Sounds a lot like gnosticism to me.
    If you think I am over stating this just go on some of the calvinist web sites or boards.

6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As you know perfectly well, I have no problem at all with the fact that God saves those who believe, and nor SFAIK does any Calvinist.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ii thess 3:2. “Not all have faith”

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, suppose I have found Arminianism to be a man-made self-aggrandizing theology, and suppose I find that Arminians (and you especially) tend to have a holier-than-thou attitude. Where does that get us? Why don't you argue from the Scriptures instead of indulging in rather pathetic insults?

With regard to your comment about 'irresistible reprobation,' why don't you read John 6:39 and then read John 6:40? The gate of heaven is wide open and whoever will may enter. However, the fact is that the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, not because God conceals them from him, but because they are foolishness to him (1 Corinthians 2:14) and because men actually prefer darkness to light because their deeds are evil (John 3:19), and because the god of this world has blinded their eyes (2 Corinthians 4:4). Therefore, unless God gives a sinner new birth he will neither see nor enter the kingdom of God (John 3:3-5) because of his wicked, unbelieving heart.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jonah also ignored God telling him to go to Nineveh and tried to go his own way.
    MB

10. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All those points were already addressed in the initial post.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts of the Apostles 13:48:
    "When the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of [fn]the Lord; and as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed."

The above verse is poorly translated because "had been appointed" translates a Greek word meaning to make an arrangement by mutual consent as if it meant a unilateral action by God.

So the verse might be translated as "When the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord; and as many as had accepted direction to eternal life believed.

Poor or vague translations when the meaning can be derived contextually are unnecessary and provide an opening for false doctrine.

12. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I agree and your point is?

13. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

But God overruled him!!

Why?

think about it, why would God do that?

because God had determined it to be so

#53 Marooncat79, Sep 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

How can you exercise faith if you don’t have it

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Fanciful

in 2000 yrs of Xian history, you are the only one that I am aware of with that translation.

16. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reader may possibly wonder why every Bible translation is wrong and @Van is right. But, of course, the question answers itself.
    There is no verb 'to accept' or 'to accept direction' in Acts 13:48 in any extant Greek text. Nor does tasso mean 'to make an arrangement by mutual consent' anywhere in the N.T. so far as I can see. The meaning of tasso is 'to appoint,' 'ordain,' 'set in order,' 'arrange.' 'consecrate' (oneself. 1 Corinthians 16:15).
    Fanciful or false translations when the meaning can be derived linguistically, grammatically and/or contextually are (to put it no more strongly) unnecessary and provide an opening for false doctrine.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many many Calvinists try to marginalize my views by falsely claiming they are not shared by published (i.e. found on line) scholars. For you to be unable to find a lexicon that indicates the Greek word means an agreement by mutual consent, and to be unable to find numerous examples of such usage demonstrates your view is outside the mainstream.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many many Calvinists try to marginalize my views by falsely claiming they are not shared by published (i.e. found on line) scholars. For you to be unable to find a lexicon that indicates the Greek word means an agreement by mutual consent, and to be unable to find numerous examples of such usage demonstrates your view is outside the mainstream.

19. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin, not trying to insult anyone just pointing out what I have seen on these sites. Sorry that you think I have a holier-than-thou attitude that's not my intent. But I am surprised that you would resort to the "you to" argument, I would expect better from you.

You almost got the whole thing right. Man has a free will and that is why he does what he does and because of that the judgement is deserved. My question for you is when are sinners born again before or after they believe?

And in regard to 'irresistible reprobation,' why don't you look at the theology that you hold to. The logical outcome of calvinist views lead to this result. Your a logical man so be honest with yourself and think it through.

#59 Silverhair, Sep 1, 2021
  20. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe God predetermines everything. Jonah was already a minister of God's. There is nothing unusual about a follower being corrected. Jonah still could have refused although not to his own benefit. So much for determinism..There is a lot to be said for freewill
    MB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.