1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there any such thing as a theologin who has it all figured out?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Plain Old Bill, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I've been reading this board for a year now.People are really good at pointing out the faults of different theologins but do not seem to come up with anything better themselves.Now I'm in the same boat myself and would really like to know if anybody has it right that we could all agree on(bet that never happens).But it is a thought.
    I guess my main critisism is that we tend to point out if a person is incorrect on one matter then they must be incorrect on all matters.

Anyhow I thought I would throw this out to see what you all think.

2. Exile

Exile New Member

It does seem that some people are quick to question the salvation or orthodoxy of other Christians, often based on very little evidence. It's likely that every theologian (especially amateur ones) are incomplete in their understanding of one doctrine or another. That doesn't necessarily make them heretics. We need to be careful in our assessment of people we don't even know personally.

3. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

Bill

According to my understanding of the Word there is one who must appear before the rapture who has "it all figured out." He won't be a theologian, rather one who comes in the spirit of Elijah.

You all should know that John the Baptist came in the spirit of Elijah and was presented to Israel to prepare the way for the first coming of Jesus. In Mt. 17:10-11 there is another spirit filled Elijah coming to "restore all things" as to doctrine and prophecy. This second John the Baptist will be presented to the Church shortly before the rapture "to make ready a people prepared for the Lord. (Luke 1:17).

4. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Good point Bill.

None of us has it all 100% right! I study theology because I love it. It's a better hobby than golf and it keeps me at home in my spare time (wife likes that! :D ).

But having some technical knowledge of scripture doesn't make me a better Christian or a more Godly person.

The one type of individual who gets under my skin is the one who has little knowledge but much pride and asserts that anyone believing differently than he is a heretic.

5. Plain Old Bill

Right on Charles! I especially love it when the light shines brightly with some new knowledge or insight.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Anyone who agrees with me ;) .

7. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Not trying to be funny, but the last theologian who really had it all figured out was called a heretic and much worse. Because of this man's beliefs he was sentenced to execution...on a cross.

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Well I certainly do not. :( Though, I have encountered a few on this BB who seem to think they do! :rolleyes: [​IMG]

C4K, I know you were being humorous, my comment was not meant in reply to your's. ;)

The one who gets under my skin the most is not so much he who has little knowledge in conjunction with his pride, but rather he who is so educated that he has become a pompous fool and ridicules they who would dare to disagree with him. :mad:

That's my two cents worth. Need change? [​IMG]

In His service;
    Jim

9. Charles Meadows

Remember Jim, education is not bad. How can one be too educated? It is what one does with his knowledge that is the determining factor.

And what about that hypothetical person angers you? Is it the education or the fact that he/she ridicules any who disagree?

I have no problem with those who disagree with ME - rather only with those insist that they alone are right.

10. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

I don't know that R. J. Rushdoony had it "all figured out," but he certainly did produce a startling volume of comprehensive and systematic theological observations and applications during his lifetime.

One may not agree with all that he "figured out" but then he was only a man and not God.

11. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

This implies that theology cannot be properly understood. The Apostles had perfect theology. Their direct associates would have also.

12. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

Oops, sorry. I now see that this a Baptist Only forum. I entered it inadvertantly from "today's topics."

I am surprised that I could even post here.

13. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

I don't know if you're responding to me but if you see my subsequent post I am wondering if I have permission to post here. Could you advise?

14. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Your computer will allow you to. However, the mods will delete any non-baptist posts.

15. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

All right. I'll clear out. Thanks for the light.

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with DD. Theology includes "mysteries" for sure that our mortal mind cannot grasp. But with the supernatural revelation of the Word and enlightenment of the Spirit, much can be grasped.

Most of us "theologians" have a pretty good grasp on most basic theology and knowledge of some great resources to help us with a better understanding.

And we're humble, too. :rolleyes:

17. Charles Meadows

"Theology includes "mysteries" for sure that our mortal mind cannot grasp."

The plethora of viewpoints in theological discussion is a testament to this.

[​IMG]

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you imagine the disciples, as Jesus explained the "mystery of the church" to them? They must have been blown away. They had been so Israel-centric, that such a position must have been completely foreign.

How long do you s'pose it took Peter to get it through his head?

Daniel had intimated some activity, some time between the mountaintop of the first coming and (2k later or more) the second coming. But I am sure that even HE had limited revelation.

19. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

That implied activity in the valley between the mountaintops is none other than the Church.

Fantastic despensational book by Clarence Larkin, one of a kind.

20. Plain Old Bill

I'm just waiting to get to know it all so I can get started, because I've heard,"it's what you learn after you know it all that counts".