1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there any such thing as a theologin who has it all figured out?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Plain Old Bill, Nov 27, 2004.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, now I can't say that I agree with that last one Bill.

I know it all and haven't learned a thing since so I guess I'm a no count :)

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul had it all figured out because he knew one who heard unspeakable things.

The brethren during his time had it all figured out because they listened to what he was teaching, and he and Peter and John were agreed on all points.

Those who came after them, though, including us, made a fine job of messing up what was consistent theology.

3. rufus

rufus New Member

I've found the Holy Spirit in the Word of God to be an infallible theologian! [​IMG]

4. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

I previously posted my thoughts on the coming of a second Elijah, here is it again with improvements.

Malachi 4:5-6 says the prophet Elijah will appear "before that great and dreadful day of the LORD comes. He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children" and "the hearts of the children to their fathers..." NIV

According to Mt. 11:12-14 and Luke 1:17, John the Baptist was the fulfillment of the prophet prophesied by Malachi, and the prophecy of turning the hearts of the fathers to their children. John was presented to Israel as he prepared the way for the Lord shortly before his first coming (Lk. 7:27). With his coming the gospel began turning father's hearts to their children from generation to generation. The "disobedient" would be made righteous (Titus 3:3-7), and they would eagerly await his return (Phil. 13:20; Titus 2:1).

As Christ and his disciples were coming down the mountain from his transfiguration they asked him about the coming of Elijah. Jesus told them he would come to "restore all things," but the other Elijah had "already come, and they did not recognize him" in John the Baptist (Mt. 17:9-12). The one coming will be presented to the Church in the spirit of Elijah, and will "restore" or clarify prophecy and church doctrine and "make ready a people prepared for the Lord" shortly before the Rapture (Lk. 1:17). He will fulfill the second part of Malachi's prophecy of turning "the hearts of the children to their fathers." Because we are the last generation and time is short, children will not become parents to tell their children about the gospel, instead they are now turning their hearts to their fathers with the gospel.

5. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Jesus actually said that John was Elijah "IF they would accept it". They didn't.

6. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

What verse and version did you get: "If they would accept it?"

7. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Interesting discussion, specially now that I have figured out how to get it to show where I am really coming from!

8. Todd

Todd New Member

One of my favorite verses of Scripture is John 16:13 - "When He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth." If that's the truth (and we know that it is because it is part of God's inerrant Word), then you would think that we would all have it figured out. There's only one little problem though - each of us, because we are horribly depraved sinners and part of Adam's race, allow our own personal biases and prejudices to factor into our interpretations from time to time. I don't care who the theologian or exegete is - all of them allow their own biases to creep in from time to time.

For instance, take a man whom I love dearly - W.A. Criswell. He loved the Word of God, and he preached it as well as anyone in the history of the Christian church IMHO. And unknown to many, he was also a brilliant man and a capable theologian - his exegesis of biblical texts speaks for itself. Though Criswell was a lover of God's Word (which he preached through entirely in 17 years), just watch what he does with the "husband of one wife" passage in 1 Tim. 3 as it relates to pastors and deacons. He taught that it was only a mere prohibition of polygamy, but its hard for me to believe that such was the conviction he came to after doing prayerful exegesis of the passage. Could it be that because he was the Pastor of FBC-Dallas (the largest SBC church during that time) he didn't want to take a hard stand against divorced men serving as deacons, knowing that would have eliminated many fine, upstanding men? Now, I'm not trying to assert with any certainty that this is why he claimed polygamy to be his understanding of the text, but it sure is easy to see how he could've allowed his own personal biases to have effected his hermeneutics. It just doesn't seem consistent for a man with such a hunger for sound exegesis and expository preaching to have that particular conviction of that passage.

My point is simply this: None of us will ever have it all "figured out" this side of heaven - not even the most holy and devout among us. As long as we are sinners, we are going to get it wrong in some areas. Yet, we shouldn't allow that to deter us from contending for those things that we know to be non-negotiable truths. Too often, I've seen folks say things like "no one has it all figured out" and use that as an excuse to accept any teaching under the sun. We need to recognize our fallness and walk with humility, yet we should never give ground on those things that are non-negotiable (and to define those things that are non-negotiable, we may need another thread [​IMG] ).

9. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Todd,

re 1Tim 3 and divorced, see my post under "Fundamental Baptist Forum", "If divorced and filling...", p. 5.

I disagree with W.A.C. on his position, but I disagree more with yours, despite its popularity. The construction of a parallel phrase in 1Tim 5:9 which has "one man woman" would seem to rule out polygamy, since polyandry was never common in that culture.

Also note that Paul does not say "mh chwridzw", he says "mia gunaikhs anhr". See other post.

10. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elijah who was to come.

Matthew 12:14

11. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

Unable to find quote in MT; also not in MK or LK
    Are the chapter and verse correct?

12. whatever

whatever New Member

Almost

Matthew 11:13-14 (ESV)
    For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John, and if you are willing to accept it, he is Elijah who is to come.

Matthew 11:13-14 (KJV)
    For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.