1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there such a thing as having "simple faith?"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by superwoman8977, Oct 6, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

Apparently Paul must have over analyzed too. Aren't we glad.

2. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

If anyone is snotty and judgemental you sure are.

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Actually I'm more snotty and judgemental than she is. So there.:tongue3:

4. skypair

skypair Active Member

God is blessing you. Keep on that "upward trajectory" and don't let the people here "drag you down!" :praying:

Love your testimony on the last post page 2.

skypair

#24 skypair, Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2008
  5. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

If there are things in the Word that you dont agree with , then why read it at all?

If you are going to set your own standards and reject even one teaching of the Bible, then why bother at all?

The Bible is either true, or it isnt. You cant pick out the parts that fit you and throw out the rest.

AJ

6. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

My in-laws are charismatic, and their big excuse is "the Holy Spirit hasnt convicted me of that yet"

If the Bible says flat out that "thou shalt not commit adultery", then what is there to convict? It is pretty plain to me.

AJ

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Is there such a thing as "complicated" faith?

Luke 17:6 And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.

It sounds fairly simple to me.
    Faith is confidence, trust. If it is the Lord's will for me to have that tree plucked up and planted in the sea, then I could pray and it would be so. But I John 5:14 says we must pray according to his will. It is not God's will for me to pluck up sycamine trees (or to cast them into the sea).

Determine the will of God for your life. Much of it is already determined for you. It is in the Bible (Read it, study it, pray, witness, fellowship, etc.)
    When we are doing God's revealed will, then he will in time reveal to us those things that are not specifically told to us in His Word. Obedience is key.

But faith. Faith is simple, and always has been. The gospel message is the most simple message of any religion. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved. How simple can it be.

8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Over analyzing:
    To begin with I guess I don't understand your critique of men with far more biblical knowledge than myself. Those who read and understand Hebrew and Greek are deeply admired by me. Maybe that's because I know that to translate from these different languages must be a monumental task. If you knew how much is lost in the translation of the Bible maybe you wouldn't be so quick to judge. The reason men seek to know more about what these different Bibles say is the same reason why I love to read my Bible over and over. You have to understand that the scriptures are God's living word. There simply isn't anything more important than what God has said.
    Myself; I'm obsessed with obtaining all I can from scripture. Do I over analyze? I don't believe it's possible. Can we ever know too much about the Bible?
    Christ is my treasure. He is what I long for more than all else. If I were in His presence right now. I would still have questions. I would still be seeking to know and Love Him more. Real Love of my Lord for me, is an obsession.
    MB

#28 MB, Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2008
  9. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I have a family member that doesnt read the bible at all, she says that studying is what the preacher gets paid for.

I asked her once why she doesnt bring her bible to church? She said " I have already read it"

Too many times folks treat the bible like a novel, and since they have read it once they arent interested in reading it more....study is out of the question.

The Bible is profound and has deep meanings. While it is true that new christians can learn from reading, it is equally true that mature christians can keep learning more as they study.

If a person "reads" they will learn, but if they "study" they will learn even more.

AJ

10. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

I never said I dont read my bible. In fact in my bible there are more highlights and notes on the margins about things the Lord is showing me that I jot down as I am shown so I dont forget. My bible goes with me everywhere -- lunchtime at work I am doing the divorce care bible study and then in the evenings after the kids go to bed I have a devotional book that shows me where to go next in the word.

11. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Keep reading:thumbs:

AJ

12. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I think that "simple" is the appropriate word for this thread.

AJ

13. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

Not having not read all the comments on this thread, I will throw this in for observation.
    First I love the simplicity of the Bible. The simplicity of worship. We the belivers has made it seem so harsh to following the instruction of the simple faith. If we enjoy the five points of revelation known by some as the "Tulip" doctrine, we may rest in the finished work of JESUS.

Some religious orders try to dictate things that are not so in the Bible.ISIAH 40:2
    Confort ye confort ye my people, speak ye confortably to Jerusalem and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned for she hath received of the LORD'S hand double for her sins. Don't tell them that they better get scared. The child of GOD needs to be conforted, not comdemmed. There is so much telling the people what all they must do in order to be saved. It seems that condemnation is preached under the voice of so many in the pulpiit on radio, and television. They heap heavy burdons on those that themselves will not do.They say, "You better get scared, you must do this or that and hold out faithfully until the end. Born again Christains do try to do what is right throughout their lifetime, but we dissapoint GOD daily. Although we are a new creature, we still carry this old sinful flesh. That is why, we are saved by "Free Grace." We didn't have to try to earn it. GOD gave it freely, without cost, That is why it is called free grace. This is the confort that GOD'S people need to hear, not condemnation. We already know that we are poor reached sinners, away from GOD It is the will of GOD that saved us. In some ones will befor it can be acted upon, someone has to die,Which JESUS did for his people. It is the perfect will of GOD to make us airs of his will. So speak confort to GOD'S people. Let them rest in insurance that he did all the work in which to save his people. Give unto them confort.