1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this a Baptist Forum or a Dispensational Forum

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by OldRegular, Mar 3, 2005.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I have been on the forum since November so am obviously not a new member. I have just been accused of lying by the administrator and one moderator on the Baptist Theology board because I am amillennial, which, along with post millennialism, is the Historic Baptist Doctrine of Eschatology, that is, a General Resurrection and Judgment. Furthermore I have been denied post priveleges without notification.

Now if this forum is totally dominated by dispensationalists I may as well quit now. However, if it is truly a Baptist Forum then I intend to make my views known.

I would like some response so I can make an informed decision.

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

Yikes! And people thought I posted in the game forum too much.

3. OldRegular

It seems that my offense was referring to dispensationalists as the followers of Darby. That is John Nelson Darby of the Plymouth [England] Brethern who is generally considered, by everyone but dispensationalists, to be the father of dispensationalism.

It is likely that dispensationalism would have died with Darby except for the publication of the Scofield Reference bible.

4. OldRegular

It appears that either I was mistaken about being denied post priveleges or they have been restored. The thread I mentioned in my original post was closed but the fact remains that I was called a liar by the administrator and by a moderator.

My original question still stands. Is this a Baptist Forum or a Dispensational Forum. If this forum is totally dominated by dispensationalists I may as well quit now. However, if it is truly a Baptist Forum then I intend to make my views known.

I would still like some response so I can make an informed decision.

5. OldRegular

Since *** name deleted *** is the top dog I might as well hang it up now.

[ March 04, 2005, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: Barnabas J. Halo ]

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

No guts no glory.I find these discussions educational. So don't quit. Just maintain a good civil spirit and everything will work itself out. By the way most Baptist I know are pre-mil,pre-trib, dispensationalist types so don't be too surprized.

7. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Hang in there old Regular. People are generally conservative, but there is room for all kinds of views on this board. People are also very friendly. If you want to get a good flavor for the diverse views on things, do a search on a topic of interest to you to explore some old topics.

8. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Old Regular, I have enjoyed your posts and would have come to your defense if I only had more time, almost all Old School Baptist are and have been "amillennial".Old Regular Baptist,Primitive and Old United, most Old Regular Churches would not allow a minister to hold his position if he publicly advocated any other position, amillennial is not a term I like because we belive in a current on going thousand year reign, the thousand,chain all being symbolic.Last day theology would be a better term,as we believe the hour is coming when all that are in the graves shall come forth this will be the Last Day which is taught clearly in the Gospels.Thanks for your posts Bro.Slone

9. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    OldRegular, first and foremost, you are in the wrong when you are attacking a BB Administrator in an open forum, thereby the name of the person you are libeling has been removed.

Second, please consider that this is the Welcome to BaptistBoard.com forum, and it must be used to introduce yourself - and not to air dirty laundry.

Third, if you have a complaint against someone on this board, go to him/her first (via Private Messages) and resolve your differences. If that is not successful, then go to the next person in command, and the next, until you obtain a satisfactory answer. For if you take matters into your own hands and placate your problem in the open forum, you are in contempt of the BB Posting Policies.

Trust that you understand and refrain from acting out in similar fashion again. Fare well. [​IMG]

P.S. This thread was transferred out of the Welcome to BaptistBoard.com forum.

10. carlaimpinge

carlaimpinge New Member

Habitual "whining" gets one no where. Deal with the texts.

REDUNDANCE of statement of view without dealing with the verses which counter the view doesn't help.

Historic church doctrine is NOT biblical truth, UNLESS it is verified by the HOLY SCRIPTURES. The "church" HISTORICALLY turned away from the truth of Pauline teaching. (2 Tim.1) Baptists are NOT historically correct in EVERYTHING they believe.

Previous LOSS OF TEACHING introduces the fact that the Holy Spirit ILLUMINATES his Holy Scriptures unto truth that has been "forgotten".
    That is a BIBLICAL PRECEDENT set in the OT scriptures when God dealt with Israel.(See Judges, Prov.1)

It continues today.

11. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

since there seems to be so many many threads where CT and Dispos debate (and the debates are, for the most part) lively and (sometimes) educational), why not create a forum under Christian Debate Forums entitled "Covenent Theology v. Disponsationalism" ?????????????????????

If the first posts are a definition of each -- this should ignite enough discussions to keep the forum active for a while :eek:

12. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Richard's above suggestion has a great deal of merit, I believe. Personally, I see little point in the sort of 'ping-pong' dialogues of the deaf that obsessive concentration on eschatology tends to produce; as an example, I cannot believe that there are now two twenty-page threads on the subject clogging up the theology forum and a third one presumably well on the way, and I'd rather those who get dreadfully excited about such things had their own forum to play in.

Yours in Christ

Matt

[ETA - third thread now - thankfully! - closed at ten pages! Thank the Lord for that!]

13. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

OldReg,

I think it's pretty well known that the majority of American baptists (conservative ones anyway) are premill dispensational. It only makes sense that most posters and moderators here would be the same.

Regarding the Darby thing - you know Darby was actually a very talented man and a gifted translator! I just don't know what his fascination with Margaret McDonald's vision was! I do think he had a goodly role in propagating the rapture idea - but his theology was rather different than that of most dispensationalists today. And if the term "Darbyite" insults our premill brothers then I certainly will refrain from using it!

But stick around - we might actually teach 'em a few things!

;) :D

14. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

John Darby might was the first person believed there is distinction Israel and Church in God's program. That is what dispensationalism teaching on this for 200 years.

I ask you, what is the purpose of Calvary?

Does the Bible teaching there is divisions within the Body of Christ?

OldRegular, please do not give up. You trying your best as you can, just show truths from the Bible.

But, please be careful what you saying to them, please respect them, what they believe. Only you can do is share with them of God's word with truths, that's all you can.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Put another way your statement reads: "There were no pre-tribbers before Darby," which is a universal negative, a logical fallacy and impossible to prove. I ask you therefore not to post statements that you have no evidence for and cannot back up. Also don't encourage others to do the same. All that you are doing is propagating a lie. In order to prove your statement to be true you would have to read every book pertaining to the subject ever written, throughout all ages, in all libraries (private and public) in all languages. Until you have completely exhausted every resource in the world from the time of the Apostles onward, you cannot make that statement. So have fun trying to prove it. When you have finished your research honestly and thoroughly then you can come and post the results.
    DHK

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

OldRegular---don't quit, Brother! You were edited because of attacks against Mods and the Senior Administrator mainly because you were not following their direction---you were not edited because you are Amil and they are PreMil---admittedly---probably the majority of the people on the BB will be Pre---with a sprinkling of Amils and Post-mils---and admittedly---probably all of the Administrators and Moderators are Pre!

But I assure you---I have been following the dispensation threads---and you were not being attacked because of being Amil----just like DeafPostTrib is not being attacked for being a Post---but were edited for personal vendettas----to which the late, great Presbyterian preacher/evangelist, Dr. J. Vernon McGee would say, "Friend, your liberty ends where my nose begins!"

Bro. David
    aka Blackbird

17. OldRegular

Well the BB Administrator unjustly called me a liar on an open forum. That was in response to my protest at being called a liar by a moderator on an open forum. Check for yourself on thread: Amillennialism #3, page 8 if you don't believe.

Frankly, I looked but could not find anywhere else to turn to complain. At least I got some attention though sadly at the wrong place.

Another member and I were being unjustly insulted daily without any action by the moderators. I am talking about slanderous terms such as heretic, liar, ignorant, unbeliever, a lying dog, and a dead drunk or any other pejorative terms the opposition could conceive. I used the term Darbyite or follower of Darby to refer to dispensationalists and that is when the manure hit the fan and the moderators and administrator got involved.

I was subsequently called a liar by both.

18. OldRegular

I am not surprised since most I know are pre-mil, pre-trib, though I believe that is the extent of knowledge of most of them regarding dispensationalism.

My problem is that the moderators ignored continued insults to the amillennialists until we used the term Darbyite to refer to dispensationalists. That got a public rebuke from the moderators and the situation deteriorated.

I made it clear in my posts on eschatology that, though I disagree with the dispensational viewpoint and would debate it, I did not consider it the most serious error in dispensationalism. That error is the doctrine that Jesus Christ came initially to establish the Messianic Kingdom, failed, and established the Church for which He died as a parenthesis or intercalculation.

19. OldRegular

Habitual "whining" gets one no where. Deal with the texts.

REDUNDANCE of statement of view without dealing with the verses which counter the view doesn't help.

Historic church doctrine is NOT biblical truth, UNLESS it is verified by the HOLY SCRIPTURES. The "church" HISTORICALLY turned away from the truth of Pauline teaching. (2 Tim.1) Baptists are NOT historically correct in EVERYTHING they believe.

Previous LOSS OF TEACHING introduces the fact that the Holy Spirit ILLUMINATES his Holy Scriptures unto truth that has been "forgotten".
    That is a BIBLICAL PRECEDENT set in the OT scriptures when God dealt with Israel.(See Judges, Prov.1)

It continues today.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Sport
    No need to bring up previous slurs, and attacks. Deal with the issues. Present Scripture to verify your position.

[ March 04, 2005, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: DHK ]

20. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

OldRegular;
    First of all, you are my brother in Christ......
    Even though we do not agree, I would not retaliate by calling you (or anyone) names....
    Having followed the threads, I saw where a certain moderator snipped posts referring to you in a negative mannor, and even stated that the other Mod should NOT have called you a liar.
    As your brother, and in a spirit of reconciliation, might I refer you to Colossians 3:13?
    I would (respectfully) submit that when we get our feelings bruised to the point of anger and retaliation, demanding an apology or whatever, that we are placing our own feelings above the Christ-likeness that should be found in us all.
    Blessings brother,
    In Christ, John