1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this a double standard?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have a problem with letting her keep her membership if she lets me join her club.

I do agree that it sets a double standard if she opposes men's clubs & turns around & joins a women's club.

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just one more of the "CHANGES" voted for by the sheeple!

I'm surprised that anybody is surprised.

Can you just imagine the brouhaha that would have emanated from the libs had this been a Bush nomination!

Sorry, don't mean to derail the thread by pointing out the obvious double standard!!??

Back to the OP - No she shouldn't resign; she simply should remove herself from the nomination, because of her obvious biases. (Yeah, right!!)

Resigning now would not, repeat, NOT, change her internal double standard/biases.:sleep::sleep:

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

There is generally a double standard when ethnic groups other than white and democrats are involved.

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

It's not ok for men to have exclusive clubs. But, it's ok for women. To not see the obvious double standard clearly shows that someone is missing some brain cells.

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, if she wants the confirmation, she should resign from that club membership.

I really don't have a problem with gender-exclusive clubs as long as they are not purposefully barring entrance by the opposite gender nor trying to obtain monies, powers, or resources for one gender only. If they are gaining membership simply by not inviting the opposite gender, there is no harm in that.

But when someone of the opposite gender asks for membership and they are denied based on gender, then that is where I have a problem. Or if one gender only is receiving benefits of the club's existence.

I am a former member of Alpha Delta Kappa - an international professional women's organization for educators. We mentor new teachers, give scholarship monies to student teachers, tend to the academic needs of impoverished children and lower income schools.

We are female only. I had no problem with that until we had a young man who was a student teacher who received scholarship monies from us. A few years after he graduated, we discussed breaking the international mold and offering him membership. He, knowing nothing about all of this, was denied access.

I resigned ..... sadly.

#6 Scarlett O., Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  7. billwald

billwald New Member

I thought that right wing conservative baptist republicans supported the freedom to choose one's friends and associates?

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

We do. I have no problem with exclusive clubs, etc. However, I do have a problem with the double standard. By the way bill, when will you be leaving for the mother land?

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do, but that wasn't the question.
    To refresh your memory, the question: "Is it a double standard when a male Republician is forced to resign an exclusive club, and a female Democrat is a member of an exclusive club?"

10. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Black Miss America, The Black Caucus, the Hispanic Caucus, but no White Caucus, no White Miss America!

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The correct answer to the question is, Yes it's a double standard; and no, she should not resign.

12. billwald

billwald New Member

>"Is it a double standard when a male Republician is forced to resign an exclusive club, and a female Democrat is a member of an exclusive club?"

Straw man question. "You pays your money and makes your choice." No one can be forced to resign from any club. Resigning from anything is a voluntary action of a sane person.

If a w/m resigns from any club it is because he concluded it was in his best interest to resign. Or, I suppose, the club was important and he resigned because it was in the club's best interest. Or their mutual best interest.

13. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Bill, you have no clue what this thread is even about do you?