1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this a form of Separation?

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by PastorSBC1303, Mar 18, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I had an experience a few weeks ago that has really bothered me. Our church was in the process of calling a new youth minister. The man we were considering was from an IFB background, but had transitioned to SBC over the last couple of years.

I was calling and checking his references. One of his references was an IFB pastor he had at one point in his life. We were having a really good conversation. However, when the man found out our church was Southern Baptist he got really quiet and just said "Oh......well it has been nice talking to you, goodbye."

How do you go from having a great conversation about church, ministry, education, family and then "SBC" comes up and shuts the entire conversation down?

2. standingfirminChrist

SBC,

It was rude for that pastor to end the conversation in that manner. I know many IFB pastors and to my knowledge none of them would have handled that conversation in such a manner.

I myself have many friends in the SBC church where my sister attends

3. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

That is typical unBiblical secondary separation. I am strong IFB but never should that keep me from fellowshiping with someone in the SBC or any other faction for that matter. I know way too many pastors like that and it goes both ways. There is a pastor here in town that went SBC after being IFB for a long time. Now he wants nothing to do with IFB people. It's a sad situation and does nothing but destroy testimonies and hurt the cause of Christ.

I am so sorry you had this experience Pastor!

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'm curious if perhaps the pastor didn't know that this young man was making the transition from IFB to SBC. He may have been surprised. Sometimes we act out of character when caught off guard.

Trying to give benefit of the doubt here . . .

5. PastorSBC1303

Bitsy, that could be.

FBCPastorsWife, you are right, it does go both ways at times. And it is wrong any way that it goes.

6. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

You guys make me chuckle :D You complain about some seperation but belittle and ridicule another person's opinions on this very board and feel you're being wrongly seperated against. I needed a good chuckle to get me through my long night...thanks ;)

7. PastorSBC1303

MRCoon, you have every right to not post here if you wish, feel free to exercise that right.

This is a discussion/debate board, what would you like for us to do?

Seems you need to get off your hobby horse. I have seen you state the same thing in several places. Get over it, either discuss things with us and enjoy the dialogue or find something else to do.

8. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

I am I'm stating my opinion just as others have here...why can I not be critical but others can. I shared my response to your supposedly issue of seperation and used sacrasm to point out how silly it is to complain about perceived seperation and then in another thread to do the same isolation and seperation to another Believer.

By the way, I'm at work guarding the freedoms of religion and speech....Semper Fidelis!!

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Back on topic - I think the IFN pastor was a bit OTT when the ended the conversation simply because he was talking to an SBC church

10. standingfirminChrist

IFN?

Independent Fundamentalist Nut?

I am poking fun here because I am IFB, er IFN too. lol

11. PastorSBC1303

I understand the fact that he may have been taken off guard.

But the whole tone of things changed in just an instant. It was as if at that moment he had absolutely no desire to talk to me because I am SBC.

I had some other things I wanted to discuss with him. However that was it, he was not interested and ended the conversation.

12. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

But, SFIC, we are all nuts in one form or another . . . Independent, Fundamental, Southern, Hardshell (I couldn't resist that one) :D

Praise God, He loves us whatever form of nut we are!

13. standingfirminChrist

We may be nuts, but we are screwed onto the right bolt.

Seriously though, it is a shame when one cannot fellowship with another because of minor doctrinal differences. Reminds me of an old tape I used to have where the 'Pillars of the Community' were talking about voting a new color carpet for their church sanctuary. They were emphatic that if they did not get the color they wanted, they would find another church; or start one themselves. They ended the skit with 'Yes, it wouldn't be the first church we started and I am sure it won't be the last.

LOL

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Separation can be taken way to far. I was talking to a pastor in N. Mississippi one time about a possible meeting. We were getting along really well till he asked me if I had a facial hair - when I told him I had moustache he ended the conversation

15. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

Oh my...you have a moustache??? I can't believe it....well i'm out of this thread now!!!

;) [​IMG]

16. standingfirminChrist

As you can see by my picture, I also have facial hair. I look at it this way....

Solomon wrote in Proverbs 16:31 The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness.

That word 'hoary' is the Hebrew word 'seybah' meaning 'grey'. Solomon did not say where the grey had to be. I let mind grow on my chin since the dome is bare. lol

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I even have a goatee ;)

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

When I read your post brother my heart just sank. This kind of behavior is absolutly disgusting. Fourtunatly I know many IFB pastors that would never think of doing this too you, but sadly I know of some that would.

Clearly this pastor does not really understand biblical separation.

19. standingfirminChrist

A GOATEE!!!!!

C4K, I AM SURPRISED!

I shake the dust off my fee.... oops wrong thread.

I have a goatee also. shaved all that excess off a few days back.

20. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

You can never trust people with goatees... ;) :D