1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this a good or bad thing?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ReformedBaptist, Jul 15, 2008.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080715/ap_on_re_eu/croatia_sunday_shopping

ZAGREB, Croatia - The Croatian parliament has passed a law forcing shops to close on Sundays in a concession to the Roman Catholic church.

The church has campaigned for years for Sundays to be devoted to family or Mass in Croatia, which is almost 90 percent Roman Catholic. But Croatians have begun spending weekends in shopping malls that have flourished across the country in the past few years and remain open seven days a week.

The law adopted Tuesday and goes into effect Jan. 1. It allows Sunday shopping over the summer and Christmas holidays.

The law also allows stores in gas, bus and train stations to open on Sundays year-round, along with those in hospitals. Bakeries, newsstands and flower shops are also exempt from the ban.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Really, I don't see it as a good thing, they aren't doing it to honor God, they are doing it to appease the RCC and their false gospel.

3. ReformedBaptist

Same here. But I said to another that it just gives me the weebie jeebies. Thanks for saying it better. :laugh:

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't see it as good or bad, just a thing.

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was a kid all the states I knew anything about had "blue laws." About the only businesses I remember being open was gas stations and restaurants. I do not see having all businesses closed one day a week as a bad thing. We Americans have too much stuff anyway ... look at all the storage companies around the country storing stuff people do not want, but cannot bring themselves to throw away.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

it should be up to each person if they go to a store on Sunday or not, the goverment should not tell people they can not.

7. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How about if it were to please a unified front of baptist churches?

8. ReformedBaptist

I would still stay no to it. Church and state need to keep separate. This article shows the separation there getting closer.

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then all the other religous groups would want the country run their way, too. Next thing you know, all the women will be in burkas to appease the Muslims.

I think it's a slippery slope to let the government regulate things like this.

10. North Carolina Tentmaker

I agree with you here. Of course they do not have the history of religious freedom that we have here in the United States. Any law made to appease a specific religious group can be dangerous.

I remember the blue laws when I was younger. We still have laws restricting alcohol sales before noon on Sunday. I always thought that was good to force employeers to let people be off on Sunday to worship. But what about those who don't worship on Sunday? I wonder how they felt about it.

What you have in Croatia is the RCC using a political body to force their particular beliefs on the citizens, something the RCC and Islam both have a long history of doing. Something that Baptists do NOT have a history of, not a widespread history anyway.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I changed my mind. I agree with you, it is a bad thing. The government should not be involved in religion. I hadn't thought of it that way.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

No, the goverment should have nothing to do with enforcing any religion, and by making a law to close stores on Sunday they are enforcing a religion.

13. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I see nothing wrong if a community chooses to pass local blue laws.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In answer to the question, Is this a good or bad thing?, assuming that the question is about mixing law and religion, I say it is unavoidable. There is no such thing as law without religion.

Law and religion go hand in hand. They're inseparable. Laws merely reflect the prevailing belief system of a society. Once a single law is passed, one belief is preferred over another. The question isn't whether law and religion mix (again, they're inseparable) the question is where does the power of the magistrates to coerce conformity to a belief system end?

Disagreements in the answer to that question are absolute and usually settled by war.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is a myth. Complete separation of church and state has been unavoidable from the beginning of the Church Age.
    Even Jesus said: "Render unto Ceasar that which is Caesar's and unto God that which is God's. There will always be some kind of taxes involved.
    Do you (or did you) have a building permit?
    Has your building ever been inspected for safety standards?
    Is the government involved in the purchasing of land? That is when a church wants to purchase land for a building are their zoning laws to consider? Have they ever said: No, because it the land is zoned for residential rather than for "churches?'
    Is the government involved even in the granting of a licence to marry? Now that would be ironic!

I believe the governmenet has a lot of say in the church whether we like it or not. We simply don't think about it enough to realize it.