1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this a requirement to being a Conservative Christian?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by APuritanMindset, Jan 20, 2005.

1. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

Does a conservative Christian have to vote Republican and be a Republican? Once you've responded, please state why you think the way you do.

2. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

I said no because being a Republican doesn't mean anything when it comes to being a conservative Christian.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Political party affiliation does not make one a conservative. Conservative Christians belong to many different political parties.

4. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I agree, and believe that there may come a day in our lifetime when Conservative Christians have no choice but to withdrawal from politics and become apolitical.

We can only look forward to the day when we are all together in Heaven with no political parties!!

5. Soulman

Soulman New Member

The reason I voted yes is because although Republicans are not always saved, they are mostly conservative. Most will vote republican if for no other reason than there is no better choices available. I will not vote for someone who is not

1. pro-life
    2. for personal accountability
    3. for strengthening our military
    4. for traditional family values
    5. against gay marriage
    6. fiscally conservative

6. mioque

mioque New Member

"Does a conservative Christian have to vote Republican and be a Republican?"
    "
    I sincerely hope not.
    Not being an American, I can't vote at all in US elections.

On top of that, as a loyal supporter of the royal family I can assure you that any party that calls itself Republican is an unspeakably evil thing(tm).
    God, Nederland en Oranje!

What? :D

7. mioque

mioque New Member

Soulman
    3. for strengthening our military

Since when is that a mandatory part of Conservative Christianity?

8. Pete

Pete New Member

No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which. George Orwell, Animal Farm

I don't know why, but every time I think of any political party Orwell quotes always come to mind....Weird.... [​IMG]

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

On #1 and #4 the present "conservative" president is weak at best. He is not opposed to abortion in some circumstances, and he favours same sex civil unions.

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Christians should simply vote for whoever they feel like, Right Wing parties can often expouse anti Christian policies. The Nazi party for one.

Sometimes left wing issues are issues the church should be supporting like cancelling third world debt amongst a myriad of other things.

11. travisbaptist12

travisbaptist12 New Member

No, because I'm a conservative christian, and I find it hard to vote Republican. I feel they've become liberal-lite, so to speak. I'd probally vote for the Constitution Party.

12. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

I'm really amazed with the ones that said "yes". Being a true Christian does not obligate anyone to a particular political party. I answered "No" even though I tend to vote for Republican candidates.

Remember folks, there are Republicans that are pro-abortion and there are Democrats that are pro-Life.

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I said no, because I cannot vote! Therefore the poll makes no sense to me.
    My "values" are not determined by a party platform. Should I receive a Govenor's Pardon, I would vote my conscience, as that is supposed to be the obligation of Christians everywhere whose Government allows voting.

In HIS service;
    Jim

14. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Right now, the Republican party (USA) has the more conservative values. If the Lord hasn't taken us home 100 years from now, it could be the other way around.

15. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said no only because I know some people that are registered democrats that are conservative. However, when it comes to elections alot of them vote republican. Beats me.

In Christ,

Brooks

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Agreed. To require specific political view or affiliation as a litmus test for conservative Christians is legalistic, and borders on the pharasaical.

17. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

My grandmother who is VERY conservative was a democrat but in more modern times has become more of a republican because the democratic party has changed from what it use to be (as has the republican). Now that there is much more focus on abortion and gay rights, I think that kind of changed her mind about which party seems more right for her in this century.

18. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

But the truth of the matter is that many, many church goers do take this as a litmus test. I have been told to my face that a democrat cannot be a christian. The issue of family values has become so distorted it has become meaningless. Don't feeding, housing, and educating the poor count as a Christian value? Evidently not because it's the Democrats who have championed those issues. What about providing for medical care and a minimal income in retirement. Other Democrat issues. Providing for safe working conditions a a clean environment? The Democrats. Supporting Civil Rights for all people. Democrats.

Providing tax cuts that primarily benefit the rich. Republicans. Dominating the Supreme Court that passed Roe vs. Wade. Republican jurists. Tried to turn the war against Iraq into a religious crusade. Republicans. Supported increasing our military spending when we already spend more for war than the next ten countries combined. Does this make sense? Republicans.

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was a Democrat and working for said candidates until after 1972. They were ALL more conservative than the best Republicans of that era.

Political parties have little or nothing to do with my faith.

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Very true, Dr Bob. Unfortunately, there are too many Christians who will unrighteously judge you by that same political party affiliation.