1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this a sin?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by benz, Mar 5, 2007.

1. benz

benz New Member

I just quit smoking. I am using a perscription called zyban, which is taken twice a day and it is supposed to take away the craving for cigarettes. Now I am also taking nicorette a nicotine replacment therapy chewing gum that is supposed to be chewed when you get extreme temptation to smoke cigarettes. I only take it twice a day. I also tried listening to self hypnosis tape to quit smoking, but oddly i felt the holy spirit convict me that hypnosis is a sin because it is part of the occult. Anyways my question is, is using a Nicotine replacment therapy chewing gum a sin? I havent been convicted by the holy spirit that it is a sin or maybe i did not notice...Please help me members of BB! Thanks,
    Ben

PS: sorry for asking such a stupid question, i just want an answer! And i really just want to quit smoking, so i thought getting a little help would be good but I dont want to sin unecessarly.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't even see where nicotine use in the Bible is a sin, so I would say that the use of a nicotine patch wouldn't be sin, especially if it were to help you break the bondage to nicotine (which is a sin).

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You ok Benz, you trying to help yourself. The Lord knows that.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it is not.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You haven't been convicted by the Spirit, but now you're asking to be convicted or pronounced 'in the clear' by a bunch of posters here who often see things so differently? I reserve judgment.

6. benz

benz New Member

Yea I just wanted to know.. I am not always convicted of sin, sometimes when I lie etc...

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

My ok didn't cover the lying. ;)

8. benz

benz New Member

yea i was just giving an example... Wow I am on my third day and not smoking...Feels good! Please pray for me guys, thanks.

9. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Been there, done that. Every new hour without a smoke eventually brings about a new day. Moment by moment I'm kept in His love.

10. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I would be less worried about the Nicorette than the Zyban. Zyban is just rebranded Wellbutrin. You might want to research the possible side effects before you start ingesting it. Quiting smoking is a good idea, I highly recommend it. I know it seems difficult to quit cold turkey, but we should remember that we can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens us :)

11. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Benz,

I feel much sympathy with you since I had the habit of smoking quite a long time. Especially for the young believers, it is quite difficult to stop the old habit and it is quite understandable.
    I was attending a Methodist church, then a Presbyterian Church after I was baptized at a Methodist church. But as you know many of those church people were smoking, especially young people there. Thereafter I was born again during a suicide attempt. I found myself died already when I was reading Galatians 2:20 and there was no need for suicide but the joy was overwhelming me.
    But the habit of smoking didn't disappear quickly. It took about 2 months after I was born again. Then I stopped the smoking, but thereafter, after 3 years, I had some stressful job then I re-started the smoking from time to time, then stopped it and re-start, then stop some weeks or some months, then re-started only a little smoking again. But when I moved to so-called Plymouth Brethren, the church was quite strict for all the life style, and for the discipline, and when I participate in the Lord Supper every week, I could not take the Bread after the week during which I smoke. Then I stopped it completely. It was 20 years ago and I have a habit of reading Bible or Christian books very much.
    For young believers, it must be difficult to avoid thinking about smoking.
    I also tried to use Self Hypnosis and Breathing thru the belly etc, before I was born again, but in vain. Often I used chewing peanuts. I still think smoking is a kind of oral complex and it can be replaced with chewing something and peanuts are not bad. Gums are bad for teeth. I would recommend you to pray God to remove your habit, pray God transform you to be indulged in learning Bible, studying the Words of God, to be alienated from the worldly friends, to find a new friends in Christ Jesus, to remove even the habit of drinking alcohol if any, to find the joy in the new life style, to esteem the body which is the temple and the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit, not to damage or destroy it for the lust of flesh, to use and strengthen the body for the glory of God. If it is difficult for you, try to find out some church group which is strict in life style.
    I can recommend some books written by PB writers which can help you
    understand the Bible.

http://www.plymouthbrethren.org/index.php?scid=1

I like the writings by William McDonald who is still preaching the Gospel at the age of 97 in Sacramento,

http://www.plymouthbrethren.org/author.php?author_id=8&scid=0

and John Nelson Darby who was a Bible translator and preacher living as a bachelor till 83 of age.

http://www.plymouthbrethren.org/author.php?author_id=7&scid=0

May God keep you in good health thru the redemption by Jesus Christ.

Eli

#11 Eliyahu, Mar 6, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2007