1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this Bush's fault too?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by raunhawk, Sep 4, 2005.

1. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

ScottJ:

It is a shame that the local government didn't have money for levess or getting people evacuated, but they have money to let their officers, which I know worked in very stressful situations, take off for a needed vacation. After ONE week.

Once again, he is letting the federal government do the job there. It just seems insane to me!

I don't remember hearing about those police/firemen working during the 9/11 tragedy doing this. But then again, the mayor said that NO was a party town, and we just need to get over it.

2. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

The local people planned to build levees strong enough for a level 5 hurricane but when Buh significantly cut the New Orleans area Army Core of Engineers budget they didn't have enough money to do that and ended up with levees that failed.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

http://www.newyorker.com/printables/talk/050912ta_talk_remnick </font>[/QUOTE]Democrats, and some former government engineers, blamed President Bush for cutting the budget for the Army Corps of Engineers , claiming the cuts left New Orleans unprepared for a major storm.

But The Washington Post reports the Bush administration has granted the corps more funding than the previous administration over a similar period and that Louisiana has received far more money for civil works projects than any other state. The paper says much of the funding has been spent not on flood control, but on lawmakers' pet construction projects, including a brand new $750 million canal lock in New Orleans unrelated to flood control.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168846,00.html

Both the New Yorker and the Washington Post are anti Bush. It appears the Washington Post has more integrity.

4. riverm

riverm New Member

I’ve heard from some folks down in Southern Louisiana, that back in 1971 the city of New Orleans had a choice to; either spend money upgrading the levees or to build a Super-dome for the Saints football team.

Speaking of the Super-dome, it’s amazing how destructive those refugees (whoops) “evacuees” where to the dome in the four days they spent there.