1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this FAIR?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by givengrace, Nov 9, 2008.

1. givengrace

givengrace New Member

One person who I works where I do that is White sent another person that also works the same Place that is Black after working hours to each own cell phones. First it was the person who was Black sent a texted E mail using the "N" word (any other substance I don't know) then a few weeks later The White Person sent this same Black person an E mail that used the same "N" word but from what I hear also was speaking of Obama. The Black person went to their boss This White person has now been suspended with out Pay and goes to a HIGHER up on Wednesday to find out "IF" she can keep her job. The higher up has been told of this First Text and has "REFUSED" to see it. Is this FAIR?

I'm NOT saying that it was right It wasn't but.....
    Is this WORTH her loosing her job?

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no way of knowing what is "fair" in this situation, since you do not know all the information.

Personally, I think it is a serious mistake to ever use certain slang, no matter what the circumstance.

Your company probably has a policy statement concerning racist comments. If that policy has been violated, then the company must decide what is "fair" consequence for violating the policy.

peace to you and your friend:praying:

3. givengrace

givengrace New Member

But should a Company even be involved if none of this took place during Work Hours or not done on work Equipment? It was these two individuals own Private Phones. Done in the evenings after work hours. And I believe it was mistakenly sent to this person.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

Nothing in this life is fair. "Fair" is an American delusion. Is it fair that only people who believe in Jesus go to Heaven?

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I think they both should be canned.

6. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

My company requires that if a person is accused of driving while intoxicated they must inform their supervisor before going to trial to resolve the issue. Basically, companies can do whatever they want to do. A company can withdraw retirement medical to someone who is already retired and using it. My company used a 25 year old rule that made sense then but not now to refuse bridging of my service and deny pension and retirement medical benefits.

7. givengrace

givengrace New Member

Are you serious? Both should lose there jobs? Over something that had NOTHING to work with Work other than they Both work for the same business. Didn't happen during work time.

So you think If you and I worked for the same company and you sent me an e mail in the even at home that was a joke that offended me. Say a Blond joke and I wad Blonde or a Red Neck Joke and I'm from Georgia (which I am) And I showed it to our boss we should BOTH lose our jobs?

8. givengrace

givengrace New Member

Maybe I shouldn't use the word "FAIR" but there are legal issues how do you think this should be handled?

9. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

If these are union employees they can file a grievance. Management employees can file a wrongful discharge but especially if you're going up against a large company you have virtually no chance. I know because both my brother and I spoke to attorneys about different situations in different places and that's what we were told.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The N word should not be used, period, especially at work. Red Neck is another term that shouldn't be used. Blonde doesn't fit this category.

11. givengrace

givengrace New Member

They weren't at Work these two people are just friends who both work for the same place. And this was done after work hours. I am not saying it wasn't a bad thing to do but is it worth Losing your job. I don't think so. In fact I don't even see HOW work should even be involved.

12. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Why is it that you can spell out some words but not others?

Let me list all the options except that it's surely against the rules!

Why is it that name calling - whether as kin, in jest, or in hate - is a matter that is in one case ignored and other dealt with so harshly?

Is there a record of someone being fired for calling someone a "white man" - substitute your own derogatory term?

Why is it that name calling - even when bad - is considered so offensive relative to other forms of expression such as dress, gesture, "entertainment", etc.?

Why is it that a word - even just once in the heat of the moment - can get a person fired but years of poor performance can be overlooked especially if the problem is with one that fits a particular demographic.

The answer to all is that government decided to do some selective social re-engineering creating an environment wherein employers fear being sued by individuals and class action groups or punished by zealous bureaucrats.

So employers establish zero tolerance rules to protect themselves and will sacrifice those who have a low probability of success in a challenge. They tend not to touch those who can call to bear the wrath of support groups. Human relations is increasingly populated with liberals out to make a name for themselves as bearers of "diversity" for the company. The result is the loss of any ability to make reasonable judgments.

#12 Dragoon68, Nov 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2008
  13. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

If you would fire two people for such a little thing as this then I think you will do well as an Obamanite in the world of social re-engineering with zero tolerance.

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Oh, then I apologize, I thought they were on the company dime using company resources.

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I took my queues from the OP and others who posted in this thread. Why did you question me and not them?

16. givengrace

givengrace New Member

Okay Maybe you missed it in my OP or did I?

17. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Is there a mandatory "reply all" button I missed somewhere?

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Honestly blacks use the N word all the time and it's OK.

But a white person using it is wrong.

That's just the way it is.

I can understand the company getting involved because honestly, it's a civil rights thing even though it was off company time. It sounds like it was on company property and between two employees. Because of one employee using a derogatory term for another employee, they are creating a "hostile" environment at the work place. It may not be totally fair, but it's the way life is.

19. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

There it is - the "hostile work environment" term that government has forced upon us! The scales of "justice" that tilt violently and suddenly to one side by even a feather's weight while the other is piled with all manner of heavy trash. All the citizens can say is "That's just the way it is!"

20. givengrace

givengrace New Member

No, it wasn't on Company Property as I was Told. It was during Home time in the late afternoon to evenings.