1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this idolatry?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Ingo Breuer, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Ingo Breuer

Ingo Breuer Member

[​IMG]

Take a look at this picture I made on a vacation in Germany, my former home country. Everywhere you go you see places like this. Do you think these displays of the suffering Christ are idolatry (Exodus 20:4-6, Jeremiah 10) or is this a way to show people what Jesus has done for us on Calvary?
    I see some Baptists who oppose all signs and symbols of the cross. There is no display of the cross in their church. I have seen other Baptist churches with displays of the cross in their church or even paintings on their wall of Jesus being baptized or holding a sheep in his hand. What do you believe about this use of symbols as a way to refresh people's memory about Jesus?

2. JayDee6535

JayDee6535 Guest

I BELIEVE THINGS ONLY BECOME IDOLS WHEN WE ALLOW THEM TO REPLACE THE LORD IN OUR LIVE. WHEN WE GIVE MORE TIME OR ATTENTION TO ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE LORD WE MAKE IT AN IDOL.

3. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a very good question, Ingo. Since Christ is alive and well, why protray him still hanging on the cross? I'm not adamant about refraining from it; just have a mental line drawn of what is acceptable to me.

In my church hangs a wooden cross with a purple drape around it. It serves as a reminder, and I'm not opposed to that.

My bottom line? The pic you've shown here is a bit overboard to suit me [​IMG]
    PJ

4. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree with you, tntentmaker
    PJ

5. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you feel about it, Ingo?

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Not unless their being worshiped.

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I don't think it's idolatry, but doesn't the bible say something about making images like that of Jesus/God?
    Gina

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Statues and icons, even those as memorials, may be worshiped or "venerated" (euphemism used by my catholic/orthodox friends who don't want to be accused of idolatry). I personally would shy away from any form of such worship.

Personally don't even care for a cross in the home or church. Or pix of Solomon's head of Christ (art). But that is personal application and I don't force that view on anyone.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No, it's not idolatry to have a statue as such. It is, however, idolatry to worship the statue.

10. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Why on earth would we want to put on public display a cross, which Christ despised so much? Why not just walk around with a list of all of our sins hanging around our necks?

Jesus suffered and died on the cross for our sins. If he had been shot, would we have guns hanging in the church? What if he was hanged? Would we have a noose hanging over the pulpit?

These are rhetorical questions. I don't intend for anyone to actually answer them. They are just thought provoking. I don't feel like being attacked, as I have been before, for holding the view that I, and all other Primitive Baptists, believe. I've even been attacked by family members who are SBC. My aunt said we were ridiculous, and she refused to go to our church because of it.

Before you get bent out of shape about my comments, really think about it. Does Christ want his shame being put on display in what is supposed to be his house (the church)?

11. Ingo Breuer

Ingo Breuer Member

I took this picture in Germany where I grew up in a very Catholic area. In 1995 I got saved and the Lord led me to join a Baptist church.

This crucifix (as in the picture) was set up by the Catholics. The Catholics use these crucifixes in an idolatrous way because the priest has to "bless" the crucifix and I wholly reject the practices of the Romish priestcraft. Many Catholics believe that somehow Christ is present through that object which is also idolatrous. God does not appear in a crafted piece of wood. This is a totally false belief.

However, at the time of the Reformation in Germany there was a radical group of Anabaptists who were called the "iconoclasts". That means they did not believe in these images and therefore took license in destroying such crucifixes, statues, icons, etc.

If I walk by one of these crucifixes today I might enjoy sitting down on that bench (see the picture). You have a great view from up there. Maybe I should include a picture of that. And somehow I am reminded of what Jesus has done for me. Carnal Christians often forget about the cross. They just want Jesus as a prosperity preacher, some mystical being, or a nice man for children's stories, or they just want to hear about Heaven, but they don't want to hear about the suffering, the scourging, the crown of thorns, the blood, but He did it for us.

If I were to start a Baptist church in that area in Germany, there would be no crucifix in there because it causes idolatry among some.

12. Harald

Harald New Member

As for the picture Ingo displayed, and similar things, I am strongly convinced they are abominable unto the Lord God. I do not consent to crucifixes nor yet plain crosses. I find nothing in the NT backing up the making of such or the use of such. Nor in the OT. Christ Jesus is to be portrayed through biblical expounding of the Holy Scriptures, not by visible likenesses or representations such as have been alluded to. I also find doves as representing God the Holy Spirit to be likewise wicked.

Application-wise I could mention that as a young convert I got into town and bought a golden cross necklace, not a crucifix type, but a plain golden cross. I thought it was the way to be and do. It did not take long until I began to be disturbed by it, and I thought it wisest to rip it off and throw it into the nearby big ditch by our house. The next time a certain little girl saw me she asked where my cross necklace was. I could but answer her that I don't need any such things, because I have the cross of Christ stamped upon my heart.

Harald

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I have a 10" tall statue of Jesus surrounded by sheep in my home, on my sofa table. It's in no way idolatrous.

I think the idea that things like crucifixes, crosses, statues, paintings, drawings, etc, are idolitrous are misunsderstandings of the protestant Second Commandment.

14. christfollower55

christfollower55 New Member

i think that when it takes the place of GOD in your worship then it becomes an idol....

GOD BLESS AMERICA