1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this offensive?

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Bible John, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Bible John

Bible John New Member

I have been on eharmony and keep on getting matches closed by Christians.

In my denominational secltion I selected Baptist or Non denomination. However there are many different types of Baptists, and I have reason to believe that Fundamentalist Baptists are far and few in between on eharmony.

Here are some things that seem to offend people that I have in my profile.

Is this offensive?

1. What are you most passionate about?
    I am pursuing the ministry and have a great love for the Word of God and standing for the truth. In the great Apostacy that we are living in today, I need to put myself in a environment that boldly teaches the Word, and boldly exposes error (2 Tim 4:2-4). So since Bob Jones Seminary does this, God has called me there. No I do not agree with all the rules, however I want God to be honored and myself to grow. I seek to crucify my sinful flesh, and ensteep myself only in the bible and following the Word of my Lord.

4. Other than your parents, who has been the most influential person in your life and why?

My former pastor. He was such a man of the Lord. He was very serious about the bible and sought to spend all his time studying it and knowing its doctrine. He also had a compassion and a love for the lost. I want to be exactly like him.

A old professor who died of cancer in 2005 would be my second most influental person in my life. Dr. Campbell ws his name and you may read about him here.

http://www.southcoast.net/johnw/bcampbell/

7. What is the most important quality that you are looking for in another person?

Someone that is caring, loving, honest, and dedicated to a relationship. Also I want someone that loves the Lord and wants to "seperate" from the evil to live a righetous and Holy life.

14. Is there any additional information you would like your matches to know about you?

If possible I'd like us to have things in common. I tend to be easy going, and have grace on others for their mistakes. However in areas of doctrine and morality I will not lower the bibles standards. So if you are a part of the Word of Faith or Charismatic Pentecostal movemement, please close the match. I will not associate with you nor anyone that does not stand by the Word of God as their standard (2 Thes 3:14). The Word is THE authority and practice (Heb 4:12). So if you claim to love Jesus then I think you will also be overly concerned with obeying what God's Word says (John 14:15).

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

No, I dont think so. You are just being totally honest about who you are, and your match will appreciate that. I know a couple that met on eharmony and they are in ministry together living happily ever after. Best wishes!

3. Bible John

Bible John New Member

Thanks. Well I have had many many close matches with me.

Its sad. Some that have closed matches claim to love Christ. But perhaps they are charismatics or Seeker church type christians.

John

4. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

well, you know what you believe and whats important in a mate, it seems. Dont settle for less for the sake of not being lonely. It will come back and bite ya in the hiney. :) She's somewhere out there.

5. Bible John

Bible John New Member

Indeed she is. But perhaps I will need to wait.

Its okay.

I knew a theology prof that had to wait till his 40's to get married and have a kid.

John

6. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Aint nuttin' wrong with that! God knows the desire of your heart.

7. Bible John

Bible John New Member

There are so many christians thta do not take the bible seriously.

So many people on eharmony that say they love Christ, but never a word of scripture in their profile or in our communications. Its a shame. Col 3:16, Josh 1:8-9, 2 Tim 2:15 says I need to study the bible all the time.

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Bluntly put: You do not seem sensitive to another’s feelings, you sound like a know-it-all, set in “your” ways, bossy, YOU WILL NEVER GET A WOMAN WITH THIS!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm sorry, I'm not laughing at you, just laughing.

9. IronWill

IronWill New Member

eHarmony is where people go looking for a mate, not for a theological discussion. And I've seen many put a scripture quote in their profile.

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Trust me, Bible John!! There ARE ladies out there who share your integrity----its just

its just

its just

not all of um are reading eharmony!!!

Finding a lady who shares what you list----is gonna be like finding a needle in a hay stack----but if you search diligently----one straw at a time--by and by you will find the needle!

First thing I would do---is expand your horizon!!! eharmony is like any other match game for dateing---but you're limiting yourself to who "clicks on" the site!!

Keep your standard high and by and by the Lord Jesus will come along with "The Bomb" and drop her in your lap---there's just too many ladies out there looking for a man who has those exact standards for Him(the Lord) not to come along with your "Bomb"

Know what I mean??

Blackbird

11. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Benjamin has a point, though. There are nicer ways to say some things. You can tell a girl "When I look into your eyes, time stands still." Or you can say "You have a face that would stop a clock." It's all in how you say it.

Some girls might have similar beliefs, but be put off by the way you say things.

How's about some female on this forum rewriting the lines Benjamin pointed out as a suggestion to Bible John? Or Benjamin, what would you say instead?

12. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

I hope she likes someone who spends alot of time on message boards. 15 threads of this board were started by you. How are you going to meet Mrs. Right that way?

13. Bible John

Bible John New Member

Benjamin whats whats wrong with what I said? Others disagree with you here.

14. Bible John

Bible John New Member

For the Message of the Cross is foolishness to those that are perishing, but to us that are beign saved the Power of God (1 Cor soemthing, NIV).

I quoted that one off memory.

The only other gal that reponded here said my profile ws good.

But if you have tips, then why cnat you rewrite it to make it sound friendlier?

John

15. Bible John

Bible John New Member

I live ina remte area. There is nothing here but the woods.

The internet is my only social outlet here.

John

16. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

:praise: Have mercy!

As a female, I'd have to say the first thing that came to mind was "control freak, possible abuser".

Not because of what you said as much as how you said it.

It sounds like you're looking for a sycophant rather than a partner.

I have two conclusions after reading it.

1. You just need a little help with wording things so they don't come out like that.

2. You need help. Period. :eek:

I'm assuming it's the first.

I'll know by your reaction to this. :smilewinkgrin:

17. gekko

gekko New Member

ummm... why would any christian go to an online-relationship finder website?

to me it just doesn't sound legit... imho.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Is this offensive? Don't know, but it sounds like you are looking for a sparring partner instead of a girlfriend.

Relax John, take it easy. You are trying too hard.

#18 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2006
  19. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

John, you will probably say my suggestions are compromise, but I agree that your profile comes off as controlling and possibly one of an abuser. You are not delivering a hellfire sermon, you are looking for a match.
    Suggest the following:
    1. What are you most passionate about?
    I am pursuing the ministry and have a great love for the Word of Godand standing for the truth. I love God above all, and seeking a match that holds to that standard.

4. Other than your parents, who has been the most influential person in your life and why?

My former pastor. He taught me many things about God's plan for a successful life, along with a compassion and a love for the lost.I want to follow his example. ***NOT be EXACTLY like him. You are unique, with your own talents. Don't be someone else, be you.***
    A old professor who died of cancer in 2005 would be my second most influental person in my life. Dr. Campbell ws his name and you may readabout him here.

http://www.southcoast.net/johnw/bcampbell/

7. What is the most important quality that you are looking for in another person?

Someone that is caring, loving, honest, and dedicated to arelationship. Also I want someone that loves the Lord and wants to live a life pleasing to him.

14. Is there any additional information you would like your matches to know about you?
    ***Of course you want things in common. List some of them. And lose the criticism of other churches here.

20. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Why not?
    We had a perfectly lovely couple in our church that met on e-harmony.
    I suppose a single person would wait for someone to drop into their laps, or start asking out strangers, but what fun would that be?

Apart from having someone drop on you. That would be kinda fun, at least for the onlookers. Maybe not for the people involved.