1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this salvation the wrong way?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Feb 14, 2008.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

http://www.zshare.net/audio/76049415d62285/

Do you agree with what this preacher here says about how not to get saved?

His name is Paul Washer and his sermons are at sermonaudio.com, just in case you want to know.

I don't know if you can make general statements like this and say that you cannot get saved like this and that it always has to happen so and so.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I know Paul Washer, and I believe it all depends on what a person understands the Scripture to be saying on salvation.

3. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

What's your opinion about Washer in general?

4. trustitl

trustitl New Member

I looked him up and found that he says "you don't get saved by asking Jesus into your heart". I don't know when he first said it but he might have to cite me as a reference.

Asking Jesus into your heart is of no value. It is like a man who leaves his wife for another woman and decides he wants back into his marriage and life with the kids so he goes and asks for the keys to the new lock on the door.

Unless he has repented from the other woman and back to his wife the request is worthless. Many times these men find that the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence and for selfish reasons want their more stable and socially acceptable life back. It is like people who ask Jesus into their heart because they don't want to got to hell.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Why this scripture then?

Rev 3:20Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

What about praying for Jesus to come in your life? Is that of no benefit either?

BBob,

6. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

@ Bob

Washer talked about this verse and he said it is about Jesus standing at the door of the churches and knocking it is not about Jesus standing at the door of humans. He said Jesus does not knock on our doors, if he wants in he simply kicks the door in. He said it in exactly this sermon. If you want to listen to it all you can do it here:

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=1019071819161

7. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

There's no questioning his sincerity, but there is no merit to having someone "ask Jesus to come into their heart" as is often done, citing Rev 3:20. If we look at the context of the verse, we see this was spoken to the church (those who had already obeyed the gospel), not to alien sinners.

No alien sinner was ever told to "pray a prayer like this", or "pray and ask God to save you", or "pray and ask Jesus to come into your life". If they were, where is it?

Instructions such as these are no more than the inventions of men, and are of no spiritual value whatsoever.

#7 Sgt. Fury, Feb 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  8. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But then how is a person supposed to get saved and born again?

9. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Mark 16:16 (KJV)
    He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

1 Peter 3:21-22 (KJV)
    21: The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
    22: Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

Colossians 2:12 (KJV)
    Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Matthew 24:13-14 (KJV)
    13: But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
    14: And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

James 2:17-26 (KJV)
    17: Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
    18: Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
    19: Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
    20: But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
    21: Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
    22: Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
    23: And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
    24: Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
    25: Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
    26: For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Luke 6:46 (KJV)
    And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Matthew 7:21 (KJV)
    Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Believe, repent, be baptized, follow the scriptures, endure until the end. :saint:

10. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Faith, repentance, and Baptism--"to get saved and be born again" or "to get into Christ"
    Communion, works of love, ongoing confession/repentance, enduring to the end--"to remain or abide in Christ"

11. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Starting point: ask (and ye shall receive). Put on Christ, by faith, through entry into His Body through Baptism etc

12. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I am baptized. But how does this help me when I later on question if I am saved?
    For example what if I don't "endure" til the end? What do I do then? When you can fall off then you can never feel safe until you're there.