1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

is this use of "Christian love songs" valid?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by nodak, Nov 18, 2014.

1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

The strangest debates sometimes come up in Bible studies, and here is a new one to me:

Some say they deliberately choose the "Jesus is my boyfriend" songs so that unbelievers can participate enthusiastically. That if they sing the old hymns (or new hymns, for that matter) or gospel songs that are full of theology, or conversion put to music, or calls to be born again, the unbelievers will feel like they cannot fully participate.

The thought is that you get them in church, maybe even get them to join. Get them to start cleaning up their lives. Get them "fully invested" whatever that means, and then hope that some way some how they will be born again.

Root idea is that unbelievers can somehow drift into salvation rather than actually come to a definite time of salvation.

What think ye?

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Balderdash!!!!!! Bovine excrement!!! Crap!!!!!!:tongue3:

Can you just imagine the reaction of a group of Hell's Angel types to this??
    Sure, there may be a small - SMALL - percentage that would react positively, but then those would not be interested in this truth anyway!
    This thinking says the ends justify the means - very liberal sounding.
    If they can't come up with a better solution than this, would be best to pass on the singing and stay with proven scripture.

3. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that's how it works...
    I actually have nothing against those types of songs. I think they're just as correct and powerful for worship.
    But unbelievers are not going to be drawn in by worship because they don't know God.

The situation I can see the song drawing an unbeliever in--THEORETICALLY--is they know and like the song and seeing it used in relation to God makes them curious. The songs reflect that God is a personal God and one who you directly have a relationship with--they may not have realized that before. Most unbelievers seem to view God in a very impersonal and far off way.

#3 evenifigoalone, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2014
  4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Our songs are to glorify God. Period. It's not for the congregation's edification although the congregation can have their hearts and minds brought nearer to God through worship. It's just that is not the purpose for what we sing.

5. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

annsni--I'm going to gently challenge you with something:

For many of us old time (whatever our age)Baptists the church service is most definitely not for "worship" offered to God--that is pure paganism. It is not a time to draw close and "experience" God--that is pure Pentecostalism. It is a time for the proclamation of the gospel, in song, prayer, teaching, and preaching.

Period.

6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Nodak, I would suggest it is all three. There is worship. There is experience. And, there is proclamation, and not strictly the gospel, but the proclamation of the entire council of God's word.

How can you call worship, "paganism" and a desire to experience the presence of God, "pure Pentecostalism?" You have a very limited and un-Biblical view of what a church service is all about.