1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this verse about suicide?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Dec 28, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

1Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
    1Co 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
    1Co 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
    1Co 3:18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.

I have seen this verse quoted as argument against suicide but when reading it in context it seems to mean something different. I think this verse is not talking about the body as temple of God but as the people as temples of God. If somebody defiles the people then God will defile him. Maybe this is referring to false teachers which teach false stuff to the christians.

2. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

1 Corinthians 6:
    15: Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
    16: What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
    17: But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
    18: Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
    19: What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
    20: For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

it just means to stop sinning. although people dont want to accept that. HOLY Spirit is the key... anything UNHOLY you do is defiling to your body where God's Spirit is supposed to dwell.

#2 Claudia_T, Dec 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2006
  3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The temple is this verse refers to the church, not the physical body of the Christian.

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Are you going to stick around this thread xdx to see how people answer you?

[​IMG]

5. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Excuse me? :confused:

If this simply means that you shall not sin then this would mean that God destroys those which sin. This makes no sense. God doesn't destroy christians, so whom does he destroy?

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Sin brings destruction. End of story.

7. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

xdx, unforgiven sin brings destruction. You are not going to be destroyed if you sin. You belong to Jesus. That scripture isn't talking about suicide. The "temple of God" references the church, as Amy pointed out. "You" in this case is plural. Just relax and rest in Him. Get started on your meds, or talk to that psychiatrist again. I won't be able to work with you anymore, but Genesis12 will. Hang in there. You are a Child of the King!

:thumbs:

8. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Goodbye dispen! :wavey:

9. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

So long, Brother!
    :wavey: