1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is this what they teeches you in kolig?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Mark Osgatharp, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

In another thread in this forum the following statements were made by Rhetorician:

Frankly, I am at a loss to discern how being a "country pastor" materially differs from being a city pastor or how being a pastor today differs materially from being one a "generaton ago". However, I am keenly aware of what some churches are promoting in the name of modernity and metropolitanism.

For example, a few years ago our little east Arkansas church of "redneck ignoramuses" received an invitation to a Bible study at the prestigous Germantown Baptist Church in the east Memphis suburbs. The title of the study was,

"February at Metro a bible study for young adults and college students."

The mail we received invited us to,

"Come hear Dave talk about...

'how to get naked'

'the sacred romance'

'4 ways to tell if you're in love'

'dating the anti-christ.'

Though I most certainly didn't attend the study, I'm sure there was some supposed spiritual message behind this rhetoric. Nowithstanding, I cannot for the life of me conceive how such ribaldry could be of any value whatsoever to "reaching" our young generation for Christ.

Perhaps Rhetorician could explain to us if this is the sort of thing he has in mind when he envisions the modern metro church and pastor?

Mark Osgatharp

2. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that there should be no fundamental difference between pastors of previous generations and now. Some pastors have always had different emphases, .....some feel called to be more of a counsellor, some more of a teacher, some more of an envangelist.

Some churches try to use catchy titles to get people's attention, and to aid in memory. What really matters is the context in which the titles are used, and hence, the message.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

This thread is closed as it is in violation of Rule 13.