1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is this World our Home?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many of us have sung the song "This world is not my home,Im just passing thru.."

This is the first stanza of the song:

1. This world is not my home, I’m just a-passing through,
      My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue;
      The angels beckon me from heaven’s open door,
      And I can’t feel at home in this world anymore.
      • Refrain:
        O Lord, You know I have no friend like You,
        If heaven’s not my home, then, Lord, what will I do?
        The angels beckon me from heaven’s open door,
        And I can’t feel at home in this world anymore.

I contend this world is our Home! At least in this life.
    Granted, we do want to prepare for our Eternal life, but for now we are here.
    I contend, that we should feel at home and be involved as this is our current life.

When I was stationed in Germany, we would have folks visit our church. I have herad
    people say that they are members of First Baptist in their hometown, and see no need to join our church Zweibruecken. Mind you, when a family arrived - they were there for 3-4 years. -But why maintain membership in church back Stateside, that you will not visit for 4 years. ZBC was a local church - with many members, doing great things for the Lord. So why would you NOT want to join? Sure, you might have loyalty to your home church - but what good is that loyalty if you are not there, singing in the choir, not helping in the kitchen, not being a Deacon, and ect.

Likewise - we are on this earth for several decades - so why would we not be involved here.

I need to think of new words for "This world is not my home" because for now - it is my home!

• Like Like x 1
  2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture refers to Christians as aliens in a strange land, or sojourners.

Interesting you mentioned your time in Germany as that is a good example. I suspect you never considered Germany your “home” but was always looking toward the USA as home, though I don’t want to speak for you. I know when I was overseas in the Army, I always considered the USA my home.

Similarly, Christians live as strangers and aliens, making the most of our time upon this world but ultimately knowing our home is in heaven.

I have no problem with the song.

peace to you

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Germany was not my permanent home as my HOR was NY State.
    But for the 3 years I was there - Germany was my (temporary) home.
    I rented a home to live - I got a USAEUR license
    I did my shopping in Germany (at the PX/Commissary)
    My Finance records and 201 were in Germany -
    Plenty to realize that my home (for those 3 years) Germany was my home.

• Like Like x 1
  4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fair enough. Temporary home will do.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  5. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both Peter and Paul, when speaking to us about our exile, refer back to Jeremiah 29 where Israel resides in Babylon as aliens.

Jeremiah 29:4-7
    “Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: Build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat their produce. Take wives and have sons and daughters; take wives for your sons, and give your daughters in marriage, that they may bear sons and daughters; multiply there, and do not decrease. But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare.

I don't see this present earth as my home. In 2 Peter 3 we see that this earth will be burned and God will make a new heaven and earth where I will be a permanent resident.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 15:18-19, ". . . If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. . . ."

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, this Earth is our current shabby home and Heaven is not our home.

Currently Heaven is a temporary lodging where we wait until He brings in the New Heavens and New Earth as per Revelation.

I expect the New Earth will be made out of the current one without oceans. So yes, this Earth is shabby version of our home that even still displays an awe inspiring wonder of God's creation (imagine what the non-sin-tainted one will look like). It may even geographically be similar.

The New Earth will be made when all the kingdoms of man are submitted to Christ, and it is the job of all Christians to take dominion over the world and make disciples of all the nations and thus submit the kingdoms of man to Christ. God's plan is already in motion to do so (See Roe v. Wade overturning).

I for one look forward to the day that God creates the New Earth and makes everything like Southern Appalachia and the South. Heheh, just kidding on this last bit ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...so...filled with hillbillies that will rob you blind and then sell it back to you. Got it. :Ninja:Biggrin

9. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always do the Christian thing and sell stolen items back for 50 cents on the dollar haha :D:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So when the new Earth has no Oceans - the song "Down in the Valley" will have a new meaning! :Biggrin

• Like Like x 1
  11. timf

timf Member

Jas 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

12. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Philippians 3:20-21
    But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While our citizenship is in Heaven, this world is our home until such time as either we pass from this world to Glory, or until His return. Romans 13 tells us that we are to obey civil authorities as good citizens. Jesus tells us we are to "occupy until I return" (Luke 19:13). While I look forward to my Heavenly home, I recognize that Christians have dual citizenship - earthly and Heavenly. While we are here, we are to serve as ambassadors for our King, and to build His Kingdom.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets look at it from this perspective
    I have a friend - who is a natural born American citizen
    and still is an American Citizen.
    He retired from the US Army after 20+ active service.
    (He was also a member of our church)
    He married a German women many years ago (about 1965)
    At the time of his retirement (1980) he decided to stay in Germany.
    And has remained in Germany - since his retirement.

So is his home in the USA or Germany?

• Like Like x 1
  15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Peter 2:11

Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul.

The Bible does not tell us we have dual citizenship. It tells us we are sojourners and exiles.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are automatically citizens of this world, and especially citizens of the country where we were born. We become citizens of the Kingdom of Heaven when we confess Jesus as Lord, effectively swearing allegiance to our Heavenly King. We are sojourners and exiles from the fleshly system, not necessarily from our native land. I am proud to be a Texan and an American, but view my Heavenly citizenship of far greater value. Remember that even Paul appealed to his rights as a Roman citizen in Acts 16:37-38 and Acts 22:22-30. So, while Scripture doesn't explicitly state that we have dual citizenship, it is certainly implicit.

17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  18. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You make a good point, Brother. Many will say that Jesus is Lord but He won't truly be their Lord. I should have said that we become citizens of Heaven when Jesus truly is our Lord. Still, my point was those who follow Christ are citizens of their country on Earth and we are citizens of Heaven.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Lodic
    There are, what are otherwise, secondary issues, that genuine believers have different ideas on. I have been often surprised by what I did not expect to be a disagreement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does "sojourners and exiles" mean in your dictionary?