1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Tolerance a Gift?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Feb 22, 2013.

?
  1. No...

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Yes...

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. It could be [see my comments]...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The Gospel is ever changing to meet the needs of the day and time it reflects...

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. It would appear to be linked to longsuffering....

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  6. It would appear to be linked to "Not wanting your own way!"

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. It is up to the Holy Spirit to lead us as to how to apply this text to tolerance...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Tolerance has watered down the message of the Bible...

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  9. We are to love one another. Not necessarily be tolerant of one another!

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  10. No opinion...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tolerance is not a spiritual gift; it is the distinguishing mark of postmodernism; and sadly; it has permeated the very fiber of Christianity.

Why is it that those who have no biblical convictions or theology to govern and direct their actions are tolerated and the standard or truth of God's word rightly divided and applied is dismissed as extreme opinion or legalism?"

by John Stott

So, what say you? Is it a gift? Is it a bi-product of the gift of love Paul mentions in 1 Corinthinas 13:4-7 "Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."?

It is my opinion that Mr. Stott is correct in his view and interpretation of this issue. Between "political correctness and tolerance," the church has turned the Bible into a mish-mash of wishy-washy half-truths.

If the Bible was meant to be likened to a two-edged sword, then "political correctness and tolerance" have completely dulled the edges of this sword and made it useless in fighting sin, or upholding a standard of living the Bible demands and mandates that the believer manifest when proclaiming to be followers of Him.

We have been told that the Gospel message was not given to necessarily unite, but rather to divide. Jesus told his followers to take up the cross and leave their world behind. Once we join the Lord's army, we begin a life that is opposed to sinning, and it is not up to us to water down that Gospel in order to soothe the feelings of those who hold to certain sins and think they can continue to practice sinning while serving Jesus.

The Gospel is confrontational. It was sent to us in order to rid the old man of his old flesh in order to make all things new. When we read that old things have passed away, that means all things. The tolerant, politically-correct gospel being preached from pulpits today has chosen to be a popular one. One that is selective in what it teaches and selective in how the word is applied.

Jesus never minced His words. He told it as it was, and if that was good enough for Him, it should be more than adequate for us.

Well, that is my opinion...what is yours?

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tolerance is such a loaded word these days, not sure it's baggage doesn't render it less than helpful.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

In this PC society "tolerance" means "condone" and is fast approaching "endorse".

Amos 8: KJB

11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord:

12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it.​

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Well said my friend.

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am so thankful for the tolerant men and women who put up with me, guided me, taught me when I was a kid and teenager.

#5 Crabtownboy, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
  6. Monster

Monster New Member

This was my knee-jerk reaction, almost exactly.

And maybe I've missed the entire point of the OP, but;

Can we paint "tolerance" with such a narrow brush that it can only be viewed as sinfully watered down gospel, wishy-washy liberalism or can there be degrees of application?

I think about the wife/husband that is saved at some point after the nuptials and sees their spouse live like the devil. Doesn't this require tolerance in some form or another?

I think about the wayward child, raised properly by God-fearing parents. Is there room for tolerance?

And today's most current relevant issue; do we tolerate gays and lesbians in our churches? For how long? Under what circumstances? Until they've heard and rejected the gospel or at some other point? <--- I say this from the personal perspective/stance that no unrepentant or practicing gay or lesbian is or can be saved. How much of their "presence" do we tolerate in an attempt to fully expose them to the saving gospel of Jesus Christ?

This list of example could go practically on ad infinitum. And none of it is meant to be argumentative. This is an extremely pressing and important topic for today's Church. We have to love the lost (this may require some form of tolerance) but keep the wolves at bay.

7. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    rd2, to me, every breath is a gift.

As for "tolerance" our Lord expressed His Holy Anger many times.

There is a line in the sand that should not be crossed and a need for those who will take a firm and unmovable stand at the edge of that line.

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

IMO, there is a line in the sand. One that stands firm in the eyes of God. Yet, society, under satan's influence, seems to be re-drawing that line, time and time again.

Tolerate being redefined is one of the examples.

A parent teaching a child how to wash dishes has to be patient and tolerant while the child is learning. If a little dried egg is left on a fork and the rest of the dishes are OK, then nothing needs to be said. Tolerance at work. If a soapy glass slips out of little hands, patience is needed.

At some point, a child is expected to wash the dishes, as instructed. The line in the sand. Tolerance and patience doesn't extend to willful behavior that results in half-washed dishes, broken plates and such. When that happens, tolerance (acceptance) is set aside. If corrective steps (with love) are not taken, in essence, the willful behavior has been approved (endorsed) by a "tolerant" parent.

9. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Catch!

That is some good text. Thanks :thumbsup:

10. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the handwriting is on the wall....

....I'm not one of those you would be thankful for, as I would never have tolerated you as a teena dn young man. I would have loved you to one or both of our deaths, but "tolerate?" No way. :laugh: