1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

is townhall.com or any other poly-blogging site really that important?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by UnchartedSpirit, Jul 17, 2006.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I'm really tired of being persuaded into doing any polirtical involvement. I'm a animator/cartoonist, I do entertainment. Yet every Christian news station is flaring resources on politics and praising only young adults who take some political carreer-financial being the second favorite. The worst part is, I get into some political discussion online or wherever, and I'm always made an imbecile and I lose all the morales I care for, the ones I could make stories on, and I lose my ability to animate or make comics since I can't make a premise to a story that I care about. Yet everyone damns me if I dont use any of the democratic privilages other than free speech.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you want some cheese?

3. UnchartedSpirit

??????no, I'm addicted to olives now more than cheese, but couldn't you have PM'd me the offer?

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was just funnin ya. But I am sorry.

5. UnchartedSpirit

well I am tired, but is there any way to make my question seem more serious?

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I don't quite understand what your question is, so it's hard to answer.

Is townhall.com important? Not to me, but perhaps it is to you.

I believe it is generally good to know what is going on, but the extent of your own involvement is strictly up to you.

Christian news stations have their own agenda which you are free to ignore.

Yeah, it can be a form of bullying - sucking people into arguments, then beating them up (verbally). Some people are good at it because they practice for years and, more importantly, they enjoy it. Some people care more about winning the argument than acknowleging a valid point - avoid these wolves.

Another big part of it is your youth and inexperience - if you're not aware of tricks and traps, it's easy to be confused by them when you don't recognise them for what they are. If you are sincere, you are automatically at a disadvantage in a political argument with sharpies.

One tactic that might work to your advantage would be to start out as "the imbecile" - ask them to explain why you might be wrong. If they refuse to explain their position, they are insincere idiots who probably don't understand what they're talking about.

Sometimes, quite often, it's better not to argue, but just listen and ask pointy questions. The arguements will recur, so you can always use what you've learned later after you've digested it. Or, simply bow out of arguments - your choice. If someone presses you, you can just say, "We won't discuss that right now."

Winning an argument is not important; what is important is understanding the different aspects of it, imho.

Of course, you'll have to figure out for yourself what is important to you.

Not everyone. It sounds like you need to find your audience, people who appreciate what you do rather than harangue you to do something else.

A study came out recently which asked the question - which is more important to success, raw talent or persistence. I don't remember much of it, but the gist of the conclusion was that if you enjoy what you're doing, you'll practice more and become good at it. Talent counts, but interest counts more.

In other words, do what you enjoy and you will be likely to do it well and do well at it. If you dislike what you're doing, chances are high you will not do well. If you are bored doing it, people will be bored reading/looking at it.

I read that the secret to gardenning success is to find out what grows well for you and grow lots of it. That principle can be well applied to life and career.

7. UnchartedSpirit

i'm sorrt I keep forgetting that my radio styation isn't neccessarily heard by the rest of the US-plus its really aimed at suburbs so townhall ads are expected i guess