1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is tribulation the only thing that worketh patience?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Nicholas25, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

1. When I think of tribulation I think of severe and extreme situations. Does daily living, although not necessarily horrible situations, not produce patience?

2. Is it wrong to pray for patience? I mean it is a fruit of the Spirit. It would not be wrong to ask the Lord to help you be more loving would it, so why not patient? Some say if you pray for patience you Lord will put you through a situation to give you more and to watch what you ask for, but I mean I pray for humility, I just pray that I will be humble without having to be humbled.

3. Have you even seen a Christ-like quality in another believer and prayed for more of that quality in your life because you knew it was something you should posses and it would strengthen your testimony? Some say you are who you are and there is nothing you can do about it, but I think the Lord is working daily to help us become more like him if we desire to be so. I think as long as you stay true to who you are and are only trying to improve who you are, it's ok. It's wrong if you are not being your true self.

2. booklady

booklady New Member

1. We know that tribulation worketh patience but I don't think that means tribulation is the only thing that produces patience.

2. I hate to hear people say, "Never pray for patience!" "Tribulation worketh patience" does not mean that God is going to pour on the tribulation just because we prayed for patience. We live in a sin-cursed world. Tribulation happens. It's going to happen and hopefully we'll let God teach us some patience through it.

3. I've observed others who are kinder and more tender-hearted than myself and asked God to help me be more that way.

Now, I'll try not to lose my patience with those who disagree.:smilewinkgrin:

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

No, but it's right at the top of the list...

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I agree, tribulation is right at the top of the list for learning patience.

What booklady says is also true, that everyone experiences a certain amount of "tribulation". It is what you chose to do with that trouble that increases your patience or not.

Can you wait upon the Lord? Sometimes He doesn't give us the answers we want or in the time we want the answers. One can very quickly grow bitter and resentful if we don't learn this one simple principle.