1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is use of the "Pill" abortion?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by jdcanady, May 14, 2005.

1. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

Most of the people I speak with believe life begins at conception. My understanding of how the basic contraceptive pill works is that it prevents the fertilized egg from implanting in the mother and it is therefore flushed out.

If you believe abortion is murder and that life begins at conception, and if it is true that oral contraceptives prevent a fertilized egg from implanting in the mother, shouldn't prolife Christian women stop using the pill?

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I wouldn't use the pill because I believe it's an abortifant. My husband had a vasectomy back 28 years ago.

3. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

it is my understanding that not all pills work in that way. Some make the fertilization process difficult.

4. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

TatorTot

Shouldn't Christian women (and their husbands) make sure the birth control pill they use cannot possibly lead to the destruction of a fertilized egg?

5. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Yes, some pills make fertilization difficult. But every pill makes implantation of a fertilized egg difficult by changing the lining of the uterus.

If you must use birth control, why not use barrier methods that don't change the body chemistry that God designed.

Secondly, if you do use barrier methods, maintain the attitude that children are a blessing of God.

My wife and I have eight children. I'm generally against birth control because of the attitude it fosters in parents about having "wanted" or "unwanted" children.

But early in our marriage we did use barrier methods, but we were really positive about having children. We had one miscarriage while I was in seminary. After graduating, we had another miscarriage before becoming pregnant a month later.

Now, age 43 and 44, we are using barrier methods again. I must admit that I don't want any more "blessings." I've let God know that he can bless others, now! [​IMG] But if we did become pregnant, we would never say that our baby was unwanted and we would know that God has blessed us again!

I hope this helps. Some would call us hypocritical; others think we are nuts! But I don't have a problem with barrier methods if, and this is a big if, the parents don't fall into the trap of anger and frustration over getting pregnant or viewing pregnancy as a negative.

[ May 14, 2005, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Paul33 ]

6. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

yes, I believe so. Most people I have talked to dont even think about though.

7. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

That is my point. We are very inconsistent in this area. On the one hand, we have people on another thread saying all abortion is murder and that everyone involved should get the death penalty. On the other hand, we carelessly use contraceptive pills without knowing exactly how they work. It could very well be that the same people making these bold statements about murder have lived in such a way that many of their own unborn babies were destroyed because of their ignorance concerning contraceptive pills.

As with David when Nathan confronted him concerning Uriah and Bathsheba, we are condemning ourselves with our own words.

8. sea_angel

sea_angel New Member

I always thought the pill prevented you from becoming pregnant by not making it possible to have an egg fertilized. I had never thought about it before. Now, the "morning after" pill is DEFINITELY an aborting agent. We don't use the pill but that is an interesting point that you've brought up!

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of the modern birth control "pills" (ones taken daily throughout the cycle) to NOT cause "abortion". They stop conception.

Other methods (implants, shots) etc stop ovulation and prevent pregnancy without aborting a fetus.

IUD's and such actually cause the fertilized embryo from implanting and do cause abortion and should not be used.

The issue of birth control itself is controversial and not just among catholics!

10. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

Dr. Bob

(you said)

"Most of the modern birth control "pills" (ones taken daily throughout the cycle) to NOT cause "abortion". They stop conception."

How do you know that "most" work in this way? Do you have any medical information that confirms that? From what I have read, most use a combination of hormones that can stop ovulation and prevent any fertilized egg (that somehow mangages to ovulate anyway) from being implanted.

My point is that Christians must know exactly how contraception works. If there is even a remote possibility of a fertilized egg being destroyed, we could be guilty of killing our babies, just as much as any abortion doctor or planned parenthood advocate.

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Personally, there is one tried and true method of birth control that does not cause abortion.

You put an aspirin between your knees.

12. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

The aspirin between the knees method might not be attractive to married couples.

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

:D

It works for single people.

14. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

The back-up mechanism of every birth control pill on the market is keeping a fertilized egg from implanting by making the lining of the uterus inhabitable for life! That is purposely changing the body chemistry of the woman which leads to a failure of the fertilized egg from implanting.

Our efforts should be away from the world's point of view concerning children and back to viewing children as a blessing from God. We know the world views children as a curse.

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the info on birth control pills. Ask your Doctor. Some stop ovulation (no egg = no possible conception). While not an advocate of such chemical invasion - I'm big on natural health - it is a valid option for Christians who do not want an aborticide.

16. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

The aspirin between your legs might be considered unbiblical, if a man desires his wife.

I believe Dr. Bob is correct in stating that some pills stop ovulation.

17. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The primary methods of contraception of the pill is to prevent fertilization by preventing ovulation and also the thickening of the cervical mucus to prevent sperm from entering the uterus.

However, the possibility could exist, although it is difficult to say how probable, that ovulation and fertilization could still exist despite these factors.

In those cases, a fertilized egg would not be able to implant on the uterine lining because of the effects on the pill on the lining.

With the popularity of the low dose pill because of reduced side effects, it is difficult to say what method of contraception from the pill is the effective one. I don't believe there is any good research being done to determine this.

Mayo Clinic : Birth Control Pill

18. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

no brain = no soul, so = no problem

19. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

It was not widely known to the general; public (or I was woefully ignorant) until recently that this is how the pill worked. I thought it prevented pregnancy. We used the pill for a few years totally unaware of this fact and now will never know if we caused the death of any children. [​IMG]

20. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Okay, I'm going to open myself up here to be pelted, but what is the problem with preventing implantation? Ova fail to implant most of the time naturally(see link) so what is the problem with us helping nature out a bit and increasing the rate until we are ready for it to happen?

http://www.happyhealthypregnancy.com/info/sjmj/index.aspx?week=2