1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is What the Gideons Did with the Esv and their Bibles a good thing then?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Yeshua1, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As the Gideons switched from the Nkjv to the esv now for their NT books, but with the caviat that they would be able to amend and adapt TR readings right into the Esv itself!
    Gideon changes to the English Standard Version New Testament | English Standard Version | Chapters And Verses Of The Bible
    I now have one of those bibles of theirs, handed out to my son at His college, and it seems to be a good solution to someone preferring the TR basis, but also wanting a more modernized English translation!

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's hardly a full adaptation of TR readings, but only a half-hearted inclusion of whole verse texts that if not included would leave a verse number with no text following. In all other cases, the critical text reading still stands (e.g. Mk 1:2).

The Gideons really should rethink the whole issue and insist upon inclusion of the remaining translatable TR adaptations, or simply go back to the NKJV (which I think to be the better choice).

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. The Gideons got permission to add from the TR for their edition. I by mistake bought a copy of the ESV not knowing this.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They have an issue with licensee fees to nelson publishers from what I understand, and the Esv with TR revisions seems to be doing what they want it to do...

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a full bible from the Gideons with the TR inserts in the esv then?

6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Gideons NT with Psalms and Proverbs is what I had looked at. The TR has to do with the NT. There is a "About this Bible" they explain how they got permission to add readings from the TR. I had not read it prior to my buying my ESV Bible.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the very one that I have, and still think that it was a smart idea to have the Esv used as version, but have the TR inserts when needed to "correct" the text!

8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is correct. I believe that Nelson increased their charge to the Gideons Int, to the point where it became impractical to continue with the NKJV. I am pleased to see that the Gideon ESV translation of 1 Timothy 3:16 has 'God was manifested in the flesh.'

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think of their idea to use the Esv as the base translation, and be allowed to insert in places where the TR and the CT disagreed?
    Seems could solve a lot of issues, if one could have say the Nas, and have those certain areas where the TR/MT seems to have a better rendering be used then?

10. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah!... The Gideon Bible I remember it well... Now what hotel was that again?... Brother Glen:Unsure

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember it well, too, Glen.:)

I have a copy of their New Testament in my truck that I picked up at a "Salvation Army" thrift store somewhere that they were giving away.
    It reminds me of the "old days", when they used the AV.:Cool

12. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The British Gideons have used the 1984 NIV for many years now and have a 'only begotten Son' and one or two other changes, such as the full texts of Matthew 5:44 and 6:13.
    Sad to say, the Gideons in Britain and (I think) Sweden are no longer part of the international body, so my knowledge of what happens in the USA will become increasingly vague. However, I believe that at the present time it is possible to get a AV (KJV) Gideon Bible in the USA.