1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Your Baby Gay? What If You Could Know? What If You Could Do Something About It?

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Martin, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your source for this, Dr. Cassidy? None of the references to q28x I found with a Google search mentioned this gene in connection to homosexuality, though Saethre-Chotzen syndrome is mentioned.

If we can't find information about such an earth-shaking discovery, how can we not ignore or deny it?

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE Born Gay?

In the Garden of Eden, God made man after THEIR( Father & Son) image and likeness. When he saw that it was not good for man to be alone, he put him in a deep sleep, took a rib, and made Adam a help meet. So, God made Adama EVE not Adam and Steve. I believe that we are all made heterosexual, but it's up to the individual if they choose to be "Gay". God does not make someone gay. They CHOOSE to be this way. If your belief is to the contrary, you believe in predestination. I am not pointing at you Amity, I just wanted to use your post to prove this point. Thanks and may God bless!!

3. amity

amity New Member

There is really very little to base your belief on, convicted1. No Bible verses, no science, nothing. And the evidence is piling ever higher that there is a biological predisposition to homosexuality. When God created Adam and Eve, they had no heart disease, no Huntington's chorea, no schizophrenia, all these things which have come about since, as a result of the fall, and which we now know are related to genetics.

Plus note I am not justifying homosexual practice. It is a sin for sure. But just how does that distinguish homosexuals from alcoholics, for example? or from me? or you? We all have sin in our nature and we all are obligated to do things God's way.

And yeah, I am a predestinarian as a matter of fact, but I fail to see what that has to do with this discussion. In fact I was pleased to finally be able to discuss something besides Arminianism/Calvinism for a change.

#43 amity, Mar 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2007
  4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Of course your reply here totally ignores the effects of the fall which, btw, is what we are talking about here. The effects of the fall on the biology of humanity. Certainly when God created Adam and Eve, before the fall, there were no biological problems of any sort. However after the fall we start seeing biological problems. We are talking about whether or not the temptation to homosexuality "might", in some people who struggle with this temptation, have a biological link. This does not change morality (since morality is determined by God and not by fallen biology) nor does it excuse sinful actions (since we are not talking about actions but the underline causes of the temptation).

#44 Martin, Mar 4, 2007
  5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: Born Gay?

The fall happened because the serpent(satan) tempted Eve, and she in turn, tempted Adam. If this is the case, it kinda looks like satan is the cause for the Quote, unquote, Biological problems. The devil puts evil thoughts in the heads of sinners that causes them to do things contrary to nature.

6. amity

amity New Member

Look, convicted1, dear, we are not getting through to you. No one here is saying that committing a homosexual act is not a sin. It is, just a surely as committing an illicit heterosexual act. What we are saying is that the thing that inclines people toward those sorts of activities is evidently biologically based.

What you are saying makes little sense to me, even when I am trying to adopt your viewpoint in order to understand you better. If everyone is "born heterosexual" then why on earth would any "normal" heterosexual want to commit a homosexual act? I would be totally un-temptable in that regard. I would rather set my hair on fire, honestly. So what is it that makes some people prone to such temptation, and others not, if, according to you, everyone is is fundamentally heterosexual? Nearly everyone at least offers some type of psychological explanation. You make it seem like it is just for fun!

#46 amity, Mar 4, 2007
  7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    =="Quote, unquote, Biological problems"? Are you denying that there are biological problems in the human race? I certainly hope not.

==While temptation can come from demons and the devil, it can also come from other people (Matt 18:6-7), and from within ourselves (Jms 1:14). It is this last source which is the focus of Mohler's argument.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm not sure I understand why it matters if one is born gay or chooses it. Is one born a thief or liar? What if a gene is found that predisposes one to steal or lie. It seems pretty obvious that all of creation suffers from the fall of man. Babies are born with physical abnormalities, brain disorders, ect. Disease causes all sorts of physical problems, even depression. Homosexual behavior is a sin just like any other sin. We are commanded to turn away from sin, regardless of what sin it is. In fact, we were all born with a sin nature that we inherited from our father Adam. And someday they may find a gene for every sinful act know to man, but it won't matter because it won't change the fact that sin is sin. Just my 2 pennies.

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Thieves and liars do not have lobbyists trying to make their sin legal.

If homosexuals can prove they were born that way, they will have no reason to change, they will have no reason to accept responsibility for who they are, they will have no reason to repent, and they will have a reason (via lawmakers - this is already happening) to make the world accept homosexuality as nothing more than an 'alternate lifestyle'.

#49 I Am Blessed 24, Mar 4, 2007
  10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I wasn't looking at it from that point of view. I guess that would help their agenda. Oh boy. Well, the liars don't need any lobbyists because it's already acceptable in Washington!:laugh:

11. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I certainly agree that many Christians don’t take the fall seriously enough. As a missionary-pastor I’ve counseled enough people who were shocked at their own wickedness or that of their loved ones.

Sorry, I don’t find “body” mentioned in James 1:14-16. You must be confusing your passages again. All I find there is “lust.”

I agree that there are biological effects from the fall, I’m just not convinced that those effects are ergo, effects on a physical sin-nature. As for biological children of alcoholics becoming alcoholics, until they find a gene for alcoholism I’ll just keep thinking that is nurture, not nature (environment, not heredity).

If “flesh” in this verse means our bodies rather than our sin nature, why does Paul use the Greek sarkos rather than the normal word for “body,” which is soma. Paul uses soma 9 times in Romans to refer to our physical bodies.

No problem. I’ve done the same.

Can you name one of these “many theologians” so that I can study your view for myself? I’m not aware of any major theologians (Baptist ones for sure) who do not believe that born again Christians still have a sin nature.

Well, of course we have to look at the text ourselves. But I’m cautious about views that I find as nothing more than opinions on an Internet forum—no offense! Can you name me one of those good scholars so I can check them out?

A couple of Baptist theologians on my side:

“In passages like Rom. 76:18…flesh signifies, not man’s body, but man’s whole being when destitute of the Spirit of God. The Scriptures distinctly recognize the seat of sin as being in the soul itself, not in its physical organism” (A. H. Strong, Systematic Theology, p. 562).

“By ‘flesh,’ Paul does not mean the physical nature of the human being” (Millard Erickson, Christian Theology, p. 616).

You missed where I said: “at this point in history.” People in Hell right now do not have their bodies, though they will someday.

12. amity

amity New Member

If I understand aright, the biological component of alcoholism has been identified and studied. It does not amount to a single gene, but rather a complex of factors that create a metabolic disturbance, similar to inherited heart disease or maybe diabetes. It is not just one gene.

13. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

absolutely I chose to be hetersexual, it was not predisposed! Every sin is a choice and homosexuality is sin. The difference is that in every case homosexuality is sin but in the case of heterosexuality if the person is married to the partner it is not.

14. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

actually that is false. There is no genes involved here. Alcoholism is sin run wild that has resulted from previous sin of choice. No one has to be an alcoholic if they would only obey. The same with homosexuality.

#54 gerald285, Mar 4, 2007
  15. amity

amity New Member

Okay-dokey. Like I said, I thought MOST of us accepted that.

Some still think the earth is flat.

16. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

Flat! You must have strange friends if they believe that. :laugh:

17. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

For the same reason that anyone commits sin.

18. amity

amity New Member

I can top that. I know of some people who think alcoholism is a matter of choice!

You haven't actually read this thread, have you?

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

........Yep.

20. amity

amity New Member

No, I Am Blessed, I think there has to be something tempting about the prospect of a sin to lure us. As the Bible says, Satan appears as an angel of light.

I think this thread has run its course myself, and am bowing out now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.