1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is your church THIS yet?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gina B, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Tim mentioned it, what about Catholic?

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, it's totally me that was overreacting. I'm sorry but I'm not going to sit there and let someone slam my type of church while calling it all sorts of things that make it sound like its some sort of corporate money grab that places Jesus last. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it if I made baseless assumptions about your church and I doubt you would remain silent about it if I did. Regardless, I didn't call Gina B. any names and I most definitely never resorted to speaking to her or you the way you just did to me. I simply refuted her points. Opinions. People have them.

My comment about talking to my pastor was surely not anything I would ever seriously consider (and apparently it's a good thing I'm not). It was an attempt to get you to think twice about what you were saying by personalizing the discussion. Mission failed I guess.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually thanks for all your commentary. While I was always slightly amused by your style of church now I'm firmly convinced ...so yea thanks

What a boy scout you are:laugh:

5. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever. One of us is defending a church and the other is trying to slam a church. I'm pretty happy with what side I'm on.

Oh and yeah, you clearly came out the bigger person here. Nothing but class. :rolleyes:

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really...is that what you call it:laugh:

7. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Not sure how you took my responses to Gina B. but it looks like you took them poorly judging from your responses. I can't really help you there. The only person that has been unreasonable and unusually militant is you. Pretty sure my conversation with Gina was pretty open. I guess you have run out of baseless accusations so you decided to start saying nasty things. Kind of sad really.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually I see something that is sad but it ain't me....in a coupla years when you mature, then come back and we will discuss things....the only thing you have shown me is that you are hypersensitive and defensive.....ah about your style of church. Really who cares. So lets bring a pastor into this whole thing....right. But when I call you on it you shrink from it like the kid you are (mentally) ......your a joke buddy and you know it. And that's what's sad.....instead of telling me about all the wonderful things your church has done, how many have been saved, how you have touched the flesh, fed the poor and destitute, comforted the grieving, sat at the bedsides of the rising in hospice etc......this is what you got?!? Please don't waste my time

See you have no stinking clue. Yes I did have a tough week thank you very much. I lost two souls to cancer this week...one died in my arms....but they were loved and I was there for them and I praised God that their suffering is over while comforting the berieved. Son that's church. Have you ever consoled someone who in the heat of their grief curses God? There is work to be done here friend .... to get them to understand Gods plan and that God loves them. I tell you this, I'm not seeing church here....not yours and not the other types either, but Gods here and I am blessed to work the trenches with him......and that's my church. (Praise God)

#48 Earth Wind and Fire, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
  9. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So more insults and more baseless assumptions about what my church does or doesn't do in which you still have zero information on. You then want to assume I haven't dealt with personal loss and tragedy. Another assumption. I come from a military community where tragedy is no stranger. I have zero interests in trying to have an arms race on sorrow. Then you want to degrade my maturity and speak to me like I don't know what a church really is. So to come full circle, you have still yet to make any tangible point about contemporary churches other than to try to slam them because your mind can't comprehend something that differs from what you are used to. In fact that whole rant didn't have anything to do with the topic whatsoever.

I am sorry for the losses in your church community. Always tough when you are such a close knit community. Kind of explains some of the emotional posting I suppose. Try to understand I'm not trying to pick a fight but it isn't being thin skinned when people try to tear down churches that actually are doctrinally sound that do the Lords work and win souls for Christ. We are on the same side.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not the only military on this board brother.

If you want to go toe to toe tell me about your pastor. Does he draw a salary from the church? Does he work a secular job to pay his way? What's your church budget? What % of your time is in active ministry?If your church dissapeard tommorow, would it make a difference in the community? Gotta AA meeting going...how bout help for drug addiction? Tell me....do not deflect.....show me something? And I don't wanna hear about your music......I want to know what you do to earn the right and privilage of being called a Christian church so start talking.

11. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What in the...? At what point did I ever come close to saying I was the only one in the military? This is becoming tedious. You are straying farther and farther from the topic with each post.

My church aligns with your typical SBC church in which it is a member. That should answer most of the questions in your mini inquisition. Does my churches existence now have to be authorized by you? That's pretty presumptuous. Are you now trying to find things to have a problem with since your initial participation was so flimsy? The only thing I don't know about is AA meetings which isn't exactly the lynchpin of the church. I'm trying to go back and find the exact point you decided to fly off the handle here.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh OK.....then send over your pastor. Wasn't that your initial suggestion?

13. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh we are going back to this again. Please lecture me on my maturity again.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh:
    Like I said...what a boy scout you are.....go get your merit badge

15. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would have sent up a red flag in my mind quicker than anything.

17. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The guy in that video gives me nightmares. His smile doesn't reach his eyes man. *shudders*

18. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I thought the same thing. Really creepy...

19. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we get too invested in the form of the worship service, rather than the substance of the worship services.

There's nothing wrong with the form of the worship service that is being parodied, unless it is not authentic. (And I think that's the real point of the video.) There's nothing wrong with using modern media, instruments, and styles to set a tone for worship, as long as they do not detract from worship. I visited a church that had a format like this back in 2013 and I thought it was better than most of the "traditional" churches I have visited - there was obviously a lot more time and care invested in preparation than in most churches - but it wasn't really for me.

True worship happens in the heart and life of the individual worshipper, and then in the community of worshippers who set themselves aside and indulge in God's holy presence. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen often in most churches - no matter the format. Styles of music, instruments, lighting, use of solid pulpits, amplification, pipe organ, the suit or a tacky Hawaiian shirt on the preacher - none of that truly affects whether or not one's heart is bent toward worship.

20. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I posted that. When I clicked on the link just now I immediately exited it because I didn't want that "song" becoming an earworm for the rest of the day.