1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Isaac Watts & Charles Wesley

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Pete, Feb 1, 2003.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    That must have been a challenge, Pete, to pare Chrles Wesley down to 7 or 8 hymns.

2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think some on here should not point the finger... because brethren the finger points both ways!... That being said they were great men of God and given the ability to write such God honoring songs... Agreed they did pen songs that are not considered sound doctrine and so have so many other writers that say it is what we can do for Christ not what he has done for us. The only reason we are able to do anything for Christ is because of what he has done for us. It goes to show me one thing as great as any of these men were they were not perfect... Neither is anyone else in the scriptures but the Godhead!... We all have feet of clay no matter what we claim!... Lest we forget the dust we came from!... He who is without sin cast the first stone!... Brother Glen :eek:

3. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

I have come across this, not in researching Wesley, but in studying Whitefield. Off the top of my head I would suggest Dallimore, as well as some of the "older" authors (closer to the 18th Cent.).

4. Pete

Pete New Member

Not really rsr, Charles only wrote around 6,000 hymns...Doing the same sort of project on Fanny Crosby was a bit trickier, she wrote around 8,000 [​IMG]

(Please, don't say "NAME THEM!" :D )

A dozen or so "AMEN"s to your post Brother Glen [​IMG]

Thanks Rev G [​IMG]

Pete

[ February 17, 2003, 05:04 AM: Message edited by: Titus2_1 ]

5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    rsr... Interesting point on Charles Wesley and Fannie Crosby... Yes... Jesus Lover Of My Soul is a favorite of mine to... But behold the handiwork of God... Charles Wesley wrote 6,000 songs with two good eyes... Fanny Crosby wrote 8,000 songs... Blind since the age of six!... She started writing gospel songs in her early forties... She wrote three a week... Under 200 pen names... and lived to the age of 95!... Btw some of her original works are still being discovered today... Brother Glen [​IMG]