Isaiah 7:14 revisited

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by rlvaughn, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I still see nothing in Matthew 1:23 that would preclude a double fulfillment.

2. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rob, what would you say about the virgin part, regarding the first fulfillment in the days of Ahaz?

Thanks.

3. Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I'm not being knowledgeable in Hebrew syntax, my understanding would be that a maiden known to the audience conceived (in the old fashioned way, I reckon), and the child served as the sign against Ephraim and Damascus. I see no reason to believe the almah had to be Hezekiah's mother or Isaiah's wife.

4. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think anyone in this thread has mentioned it (not that I agree), but I have heard some keep the meaning of virgin in Isaiah 7:14 by reckoning this woman referenced was a virgin at the time Isaiah prophesied. She would then marry and conceive in the old fashioned way.

5. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been told by a rabbi (And remember, he does not recognize Jesus as Messiah or God) that if an "almah" is/was single, her virginity is a gimme. If it's known a single woman's not a virgin, she can't be an almah.