1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Isaiah 8:14-20 - Messanic prophecy

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Dr. Walter, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Isaiah 8:14 And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
    15 And many among them shall stumble, and fall, and be broken, and be snared, and be taken.
    16 ΒΆ Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples.
    17 And I will wait upon the LORD, that hideth his face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for him.
    18 Behold, I and the children whom the LORD hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion.
    19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?
    20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

This is a clear Messanic prophecy and of the apostles of Christ:

Heb. 2:3-4,13 and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;
    4 God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?
    And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.

Isaiah 8:18 Behold, I and the children whom the LORD hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion.

1 Pet. 2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed. (Peter is referring to "the word" in Isaiah 8:16,20)

Isaiah 8:14 And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
    15 And many among them shall stumble, and fall, and be broken, and be snared, and be taken.

The personal pronoun "I" in Isaiah 8:18 is the Messiah in Hebrews 2:13 and "my disciples" in Isaiah 8:16 ultimately refer to those in Hebrews 2:3-4,13 just as Isaiah 8:18 predicts.

There is a Messanic application of Isaiah 8:16 and 20 as verse 20 refers back to "the law and to the testimony" in verse 16 as "this word."

In the Messanic application "the testimony" is inclusive of Isaiah 8:14-15 concerning Jesus Christ. In the Messanic application of Isaiah 8:16,18 it is the Apostles who are directly the ones who "bind up" and "seal" the law and the testimony just as Hebrews 2:3-4,13 directly applies it to them.

In the Messanic application this is the prediction that the apostolic writings "confirmed" by "signs and wonders" (Heb. 2:3-4) were the "testimony" of Jesus Christ (Rev. 1:3) and thus it would be among them that "the law and the testimony" would be bound up and sealed (Rev. 1:3; 22:18-19).