1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Issue about Soulwinning at night time.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by chickenlady, Oct 28, 2005.

1. jarhed

jarhed New Member

I'm going to ask my pastor about having a day soulwinning group for the women, if not... I'm no longer attending their scheduled visitation. Thanks for the advice everybody. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Just to let you know what we do...we also have a small church in the North. Though it is growing and folks are being saved, our Pastor has begun, in the last two years to switch our soulwinning time in the short sun months to Saturday A.M. Sometimes I am partnered with my wife, and sometimes not, but I gaurantee you she is not going around in the dark cold calling. NO WAY. God gave us a brain. But, in defense of your Pastor, he is a man...and sometimes we are a little slow on these things not being ladies and all...just make the suggestion with respect. You will probably be surprised at the result. I have no idea why our Pastor began this exactly, but it was probably for about the same reason. God Bless you soulwinning efforts!!!!!!!

2. chickenlady

chickenlady New Member

I was thinking that also...that being Christians we are being put at risk but God gave us brains. Can't jump off a cliff and just expect us not to fall! I really don't think my pastor gets it because he sends his own two young daughters out for soulwinning too at night. Thanks for all the encouragement! I'll find out tonight what he thinks about it.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

chickenlady,

you said something interesting in one of your earlier posts....

your pastor replied that at night is when people are doing the sinning? Do you mean that he is thinking of soulwinning as a way to distract or stop people from the night's activities?

there very well could just be a philosophical difference between how you guys see soul winning.

if this is true, it might be useful to keep that in mind tonight when you speak with him. But, especially because you are willing to suggest the idea of having a second group comprised of ladies going out during the day, perhaps that issue is already addressed.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Door-to-door is NOT for everyone.

I can identify though, many years ago my pastor and I were chased out of an apartment house by an inebriated butcher-knife wielding man (who eventually was saved and became a deacon in Church [​IMG] minus the bottle and the cleaver of course).

Good advice from Scarlett, take it.

HankD

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

door-to-door is also not the only way to have organized soul winning.

we go out to a busy street and pass out tracts to folks who walk by. Personally I wish we did more door-to-door, but our church tends to go with the street method more often. It really has been very effective in getting out the gospel, though.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I want to interject one thing: door to door personal evangelism isn't soul winning. It's door to door personal evangelism. It's one of numberous different ways a person can evangelize. I actually got into a rather heated arguement with someone who insisted that if I wasn't streetpreaching or doorknocking, I wasn't evangelizing.

As for soulwinning, only the oly Spirit wins souls. We just do the prep work [​IMG]

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Bill Hybels and Mark Mittelberg wrote a book called Becoming a Contagious Christian. In that book they show 7 different ways people shared their faith in scripture.

So often those doing most of the talking ought to do more listening and those who do most of the listening should be doing more talking.

8. chickenlady

chickenlady New Member

your pastor replied that at night is when people are doing the sinning? Do you mean that he is thinking of soulwinning as a way to distract or stop people from the night's activities?

My pastor wasn't referring to soulwinning at all. He said that in a sermon about discernment and it was about purity. People are more likely to sin at nighttime, because men love darkness because their deeds are evil.

since the word soulwinning isn't in the bible, I see soulwinning is anytime you hand God's word (the gospel) to another person. Like you said, it's not us who do the saving but God's word. Soulwinning is having a burden for souls that we would have to picture in our minds would be going to hell if we don't try to reach them with God's word.

Not everybody has to reach people the same way, but then again sometimes going on the street and knocking on doors says "look what I'm doing" for the church, and I don't need to prove that. God works through us in different ways.

9. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I see chickenlady,

thanks for clarifying! [​IMG]

I use the term soul winning because Im familiar with it. It doesnt mean that Im implying that I somehow do the saving of the person. [​IMG] Just thought Id clarify that myself, for anyone who might have thought that.

10. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

New Jersey gets a bad rap but in reality except for about a 40 mile radius circle around New York and Philadelphia it's probably no more dangerous than most places. I wouldn't recommend for two young women to go out at night door to door but in my part of central New Jersey (Red Bank) I'd have no problem with going out with a woman or a man to evangelize.

11. chickenlady

chickenlady New Member

Bapmom, You live in Red Bank? I live in Howell. LOL! Small world. Where's your church at? We go into Lakewood, not the best area, nope.

I talked to my pastor and mentioned the idea of a day soulwinning thing for ladies because I felt it wasn't good for the ladies to be out at night. And he said, you're right, that's true...and he said I could see if we didn't do door to door and going to a direct prospect, but alot of us just do the door to door thing and really need to do that in the day time instead.

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Oh how wonderful, chickenlady! Please let us know how things progress in the future. [​IMG]

Oh and no, that was Straight And Narrow that lives in Red Bank. Sorry, Im in Milwaukee. [​IMG]

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The phrase is based upon Proverbs 11:30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.

HankD

14. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

First Baptist Church of Red Bank. I love this church.