1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Issues Raised in the "Another Republican Lost" Thread

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Bible-boy, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Then don't be surprise when those who might listen to you and actually could help you harden their own positions and look at you as an extremist. Moderating offensive language doesn't mean compromising your deeply held convictions. Believe it or not, I get the fact that you are dealing with passionately held beliefs and positions. That is fine, you are entitled to hold them. But such language does nothing but make reaching any middle ground as a stepping stone impossible. Remember that each trip is a series of small steps. Just my 2 cents for your consideration or not.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe that most people are that shallow that another's language further drives their ideological view.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not just about passion. I find any reference to unborn children as anything other than children to be just as hardening, offensive, and extreme.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The "strong language" can be viewed as self righteous judgment. Who of us is without sin? No one wants to minimize the act of abortion but some of feel it can be done without passing judgment...

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

We are not talking about stealing a piece of candy here. This is the death of a child. Your assertion of self righteous judgment doesn't make sense. It is not just about right and wrong. But it is about saving the lives of millions of unborn children. The self righteous judgment ploy is absurd.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

There are better ways to condemn the sin and not pass judgment on the sinner.

When we call someone a murderer was have passed judgment. The reality is no matter how bad you feel abortion is, the sinner is not worthless to God and God will forgive them if they repent.

Edit... Since I am always accused of no scripture...

1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
    9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Once again another thread has been drawn off topic into the abortion issue.

One could contend that is the only issue some folks are willing to debate in depth.

I am amongst the most vehement opponents of abortion here. I think a child is a child at the moment of conception and that taking his/her life from that point on is murder.

But that doesn't mean that thus issue is my only tool in debate. The final solution so almost any debate in the last few months seems to be - 'Well, regardless, you Obama supporters are just a bunch of baby killer lovers.' How can reasoned debate be expected to take place after that kind of statement? We all know the answer, 'Well, you GOP supporters all support the innocent murder of women and children in Iraq.'

Abortion is the greatest tragedy ever to befall America. It is not the exclusive domain of any party or politician, and yet it seems to be the final answer to every discussion.

Is it possible to have a political discussion amongst believers without always returning to the 'nuclear bomb' issue of abortion?

#47 NaasPreacher (C4K), Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2008
  8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I do not know anyone who sees them as worthless. Even given that it is not necessary to diminish the impact of the sin by characterizing it in a way that diminishes the reality. In fact the reality should be made clear so we can understand the reason for the wrath of God, the precious gift we can receive, and the necessity of the shedding of blood. Diminishing sin has the same effect on the gospel.

9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the "middle ground" on the issue of abortion?

peace to you:praying: