1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ISV Compared To God's Word Version

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Continuing In Galatians

4:1
    ISV : he is no better off than a slave, even though he owns everything
    GW : he is no better off than a slave, even though he owns everything

4:2
    ISV : he is placed under the control of guardians and trustees until the time set by the father.
    GW : He is placed under the control of guardians and trustees until the time set by his father.

4:3
    ISV : It was the same way with us. While we were children, we were slaves to the basic principles of this world.
    GW : It was the same way with us. When we were children, we were slaves to the principles of this world.

4:8
    ISV : you were slaves to things that are really not gods at all.
    GW : you were slaves to things which are really not gods at all.

4:9
    ISV : how can you turn back again to those powerless and bankrupt principles? Why do you want to become their slaves all over again?
    GW : how can you turn back again to the powerless and bankrupt principles of this world? Why do you want to become their slaves all over again?

5:1
    ISV : Christ has set us free so that we may enjoy the benefits of freedom.
    GW : Christ has freed us so that we may enjoy the benefits of freedom.

5:3
    ISV : Again, I insist that everyone who allows himself to be circumcised
    GW : Again, I insist that everyone who allows himself to be circumcised

6:17
    ISV : From now on let no one make trouble for me, for I carry the scars on my own body.
    GW : From now on don't make any trouble for me! After all, I carry the scars of Jesus on my body.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is nearly three years old. However,the subject needs to be brought out to the light again. I do know for sure now that the ISV had to be based upon GW translation. There is just no way around it.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a current thread dealing with GWT. I thought I would revive this old one.

In my OP I had said:"I don't know for sure." Well, read on. The subsequent posts revealed that the ISV based their translation on GWT. There is just no way around it.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here we go again. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have The Four Translation New Testament (KJV, NASB, Williams, Beck). A quick glance through it shows that this low standard for plagiarism could be applied to many different versions. Why? They just happen to be translated from the same text!

Furthermore, many of the examples given on this thread are quite different, proving that there is no plagiarism.

I've had my say. I'll not comment any more on this thread. It might encourage Rippon too much. :smilewinkgrin:

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the contrary, the many examples that Franklin and I have given make it rather incontestable that the ISV based a large percentage of their "translation" on GWT.

You must have read in haste.