1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

It is as it was....or was it?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Spirit and Truth, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

On another thread, I made the accusation that this movie was a Marian "shrine". Many want to dispute this fact. Lets take a look at what the Catholic Information Network says about the movie:

http://www.cin.org/Miravalle.html

2. Spirit and Truth

I have been told on this forum that God spoke to man through a bush, through a giant fish, through angels, and even a talking donkey, so He can surely speak to us through a movie made by a man with good intentions, because it is the same thing.

My reply to these statements, are of course, a simple one. A bush, a fish, and even angels, are all creations of God, and there is no scriptural prohibition against those things or beings. There is, however, warnings against idol worship, mysticism, and divination throughout the scriptures, as well as preaching another Gospel and another Jesus. The donkey, was of course, the easiest one because:

A) The donkey spoke His Word, and did not mix in his own words or the words of men.

B) The donkey was one of God's creations, and was not a "mystical" donkey.

C) The donkey was not elevated as co-redeemer or part of any salvation process.

3. sharpSword

sharpSword Guest

I got lost again. :rolleyes: But on one of the threads about the movie... where, I do not recall :confused: ....a few people quoted I believe:
    Luke 9:49 And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.
    50 And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

The point apparently was to validate that the movie is under that Scriptural concept and being used by God for that reason. I pondered that for awhile. :eek: And have to give it a, 'I fully do not agree.'

Why? Because the movie presentation was not about casting out devils nor based on the Word of God. It used devils aka divination via the emmerich , agreda and bridget writings as the mainstay of the script and doctrine, which many call Scriptural or Biblically sound. That appears to put the movie more in the category of Simon the sorcerer and others, wanting to partake and use the Holy Spirit for the power and for $$$$$$$$. Mel Gibson did say the Holy Spirit guided the making of the movie.....

Acts 8:9 But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:
    10 To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God.
    11 And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceries.
    12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
    13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done...

18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
    19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.
    20 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
    21 Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
    22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
    23 For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.

And Acts 16:
    16 And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying:
    17 The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which show unto us the way of salvation.
    18 And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour.
    19 And when her masters saw that the hope of their gains was gone, they caught Paul and Silas, and drew them into the marketplace unto the rulers,

God of course, can and does use anything He wants for His purposes. I do believe that we as Believers are bound by the guidelines and teachings in the Word of God for our Biblical doctrine....not sorcery and divination.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Ephesians 6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
    17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

Titus 2:1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:

4. Spirit and Truth

In a discussion on another thread, many have adamantly stated the Jesus was "fearful" of being crucified. As the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End, is there anything that He would not know? Are we talking about the same Jesus who told the Samaritan women at the well her past and present? Are we talking about the same Jesus who answered Peters question about the money for taxes, and told him that there was a fish waiting for him with a gold coin in it's mouth before Peter even spoke the question? Are we talking about the Jesus who prophesied His beating and crucifixion, and had to rebuke Peter, telling him to get behind Him, because he was being an obstruction to God performing His will? There were no suprises for the Mighty Lion of Judah, and as He clearly stated, if He wanted , He could call down twelve legions of angels. A roman "legion" is about six thousand, which would equal seventy two thousand total. Let's keep in mind that only a few angels were present when Sodom and Gommorah and all it's inhabitants were destroyed. One person stated that He couldn't be fearful, as fear was sin, and scripture is clear that He was without sin. There were some OT and NT scriptures quoted by another with many in agreement to show that people feared, so it was not necessarily a sin. My reply to this was as follows:

In the OT verses that were quoted, there are three words translated as fear. They are yare, rogez, and pachad.

In the NT verses that were quoted, there are three words translated as fear. They are phobos, phobeo, and deilia.

Now, I would ask that you all find a verse about Jesus that uses these words to describe Him and His "state" and then we can call it a day.

I will tell you what you may find though:

Luke 5
    10 And so [was] also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, which were partners with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear [phobeo] not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men.

Luke 8
    50 But when Jesus heard [it], he answered him, saying, Fear [phobeo] not: believe only, and she shall be made whole.

My question is, was Jesus a hippocrite? Would He tell someone not to do something, and then do it himself? When the "apostles" in the movie stated that "Jesus" was fearful, that was a denial of His divinity. When the "Jesus" in the movie said "I AM", and no one fell back as they did according to scripture, it was the same as denying His divinity, and also changing the Word of God through a false re-enactment. By saying that He had fear, when scripture does not validate that, is in effect, doing the same thing.

If you check out the Greek word for agony in Luke 22:44, [agonia] you will see that it does not mean fear or fearful. He was hurting for the condition of the world.

5. Spirit and Truth

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

S & T posts site to me nothing short of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit!

What happens to those who blaspheme the Holy Spirit?? Somebody answer me!

Brother David

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Funny, while you guys have sat here and posted for hours on this link, I wonder how many people that have seen the movie that you could have witnessed to? Its not whether every single inch of a movie is accurate (let's take apart the Ten Commandments while we're at it) its that there is a lot of interest in this Jesus right now. Why don't you USE that opportunity to witness rather than whine about the movies evils. You seem to be the ones obsessing over this movie. Maybe it had an effect on you folks?

8. vaspers

vaspers New Member

blackbird, where've you been...and what do you mean "posts site nothing short of blasphemy"???

Phillip, good brother in Christ, people seem to have their minds made up.

Pro-Passion advocates seem mysteriously brainwashed to me.

Anti-Passion detractors may seem mysteriously super-critical to you.

Hey everybody. We could also debated endlessly on baptism, altar calls, pews and the potatoes who sit on them and refuse to work for the churches they sponge off of, the "trinity" concept, speaking in tongues, the "Luther" film, Charles Finney, Spurgeon, Calvin, etc.....

...and get nowhere.

Do we walk and talk with Jesus Christ of the gospels? do we intercede for the world, not just our loved ones? do we pray for conversion of terrorists? do we love reading the Word? do we witness at every opportunity? do we delight in God and give Him nicknames, like:

My Joy and Rejoicing
    My Best Friend
    My Heart's Desire
    My Lord and Owner
    My Strength and My Righteousness?

Movies come and go. Opinions come and stay, sometimes go. But the Word of Jesus Christ is eternal.

[​IMG] [​IMG] :cool: :cool:

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

My post was in reference to the sites/links posted by S & T

I went there---to each posted link and deduced nothing sort of blasphemy---attributing the work of the Holy Spirit to Mary

10. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

Phillip wrote:
    You seem to be the ones obsessing over this movie. Maybe it had an effect on you folks?

MalkyEL:
    Yes, the movie did have an effect on me. It filled me with revulsion and with fear.

Why fear? Because the Christian Leadership in this country promoted it as the gospel truth, Biblically accurate, and as an evangelistic tool.

This film is full of hatred for THE ONE AND ONLY Jesus Christ Who came to earth to give up Himself as a Pure, Holy, Sinless Sacrifice. Mel turned my Savior into a co-redeemer with His mom, and tarnished the last hours of His life on this earth with the filth of mysticism and demonology. And for this, the Christian Leaders want me to preach to the lost of this "redeemer" who is nothing more than a satanic representative from the pit of hell.

This is my King Who did NOT shake with fear and worship at satan's feet, Who did NOT need His mommy for strength, Who did NOT fall on the way to Calvary, and Who did NOT leave the tomb naked:

Revelation 1
    4 . . . Grace to you, and peace, from the One who is, and who was, and who is coming, and from the seven spirits which are before His throne;
    5 even from Jesus Christ the Faithful Witness, the First-born out of the dead, and the Ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him loving us and washing us from our sins by His blood,
    6 and made us kings and priests to God, even His Father. To Him is the glory and the might forever and ever. Amen.
    7 "Behold, He comes with the clouds," and "every eye will see Him, and the ones who pierced" Him, and all the tribes of the earth "will wail on account of Him." Yes, Amen. Dan. 7:13; Zech. 12:10
    8 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the Ending, says the Lord, the One who is, and who was, and who is coming, the Almighty.
    13 And having turned, I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the seven lampstands One like the Son of Man, having been clothed to the feet, and having been girded with a golden girdle at the breasts.
    14 And the hairs of His head were white as white wool, as snow, and His eyes as a flame of fire;
    15 and His feet like burnished brass having been fired in a furnace; and His voice as a sound of many waters;
    16 and having in His right hand seven stars; and a sharp, two-edged sword proceeding out of His mouth, and His face shining as the sun in its power.
    17 And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet, as dead. And He put His right hand on me, saying to me, DO NOT FEAR. I am the First and the Last,
    18 and the Living One; and I became dead; and, behold, I am living forever and ever. Amen. And I HAVE THE KEYS TO HELL, AND OF DEATH.

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

First, aren't you one of the people who argued that Jesus had no "fear" because it was sin? hmmmmmmm

Second, did you see the movie? If you did how could you possibly interpret that Mel had it in for the Savior. I took it as an excellent showing of what the savior did for me and that is what Mel said he intended before the movie came out.

Third, don't you guys realize that Mel was told he would never get another job in Hollywood if he produced this movie and he took the risk anyway? If he makes money off of it and it becomes popular, I at least admire him for sharing his faith.

Just because he has Catholic icons in it does not take away the basic truth of "Jesus--Savior---beaten'----killed ---- for you and for me-----rose again."

Third, and I ask again (its like talking to a KJVO) answer me what exactly are you going to do if a non-christian asks you about "that Jesus" shown in "that movie". Are you going to tell him that he shouldn't have seen it? That he has it all wrong? If you do, you have probably lost any chance to witness that you had before he asked. Are you actively seeking people who have seen the movie to help them understand what they saw? Are you taking advantage of this opportunity? Or are you telling everybody you know about how evil the movie is?

Just curious? :confused:

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

He DID NOT WORSHIP SATAN. He was praying to God with Satan wandering around tempting him. How do YOU know he did not fall on the way to Calvary.

Were you there?

Did the Bible tell every single step he took?

Didn't I read "somewhere in the gospels" (tongue-in-cheek) that the Romans had someone help him carry the cross because of the heavy load. How do we know he didn't fall there?

How do you know exactly what he was wearing when he left his grave clothes at the head of the tomb, all neatly folded. Were you there, did you see him? How do you know he was not crucified "naked" as most of the Roman prisoners were, as a means of ultimate humility?

Weren't you the one who said he would have been castrated if whipped from the front? If so, doesn't that imply "no clothes"?

Then, finally, I ask you again. What will be your answer to a person who sees the movie and asks you about "that Jesus he saw". Are you going to quickly correct him and tell him he saw a lie? If so, good for you.... :rolleyes:

13. vaspers

vaspers New Member

No, Jesus did not leave the grave naked. God clothed Adam and Eve, so God somehow must have clothed Jesus. A naked Jesus coming out of the tomb would have been indecent, and God is Holy Holy Holy.

Yes I will say it was a huge mistake to see that film, Phillip. You know that I will say that.

Yes, if a person buys into the heresy, distortions, sacrilege in this film, I'll say he has it ALL WRONG.

No, I will not lose any chance to witness. I'll patiently explain what really happened in the gospels...and I'll emphasize what Mel thought was not gory enough to bother with: The Resurrection and the Ascension.

That should outrage us as Christian, that ignorant Mel devoted 2 hours to sadism and only a few seconds to glorious victory over sin and death in Resurrection. This is sickening. Mel is a horrid fool and a con artist.

Yes, we must tell people how biblically inaccurate this film is...just like we tell them about other cults and lies...like Jehovahs Witness, Islam, New Age, Witchcraft, Liberalism, ACLU, gay marriage, etc.

Anything that shows disrespect to Jesus, or mis-represents Him...I attack.

Then I lift His Name and praise God for the eternal Truth of His blessed Word.

Just evangelical.

:cool: [​IMG]

14. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

Did (or do) you feel the same way about THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST? After all, it too was about Jesus. There was a LOT of interest back when that movie was released, too!

What bothers me most about the movie is the build up by the so-called "religious leaders", many of whom I had respect for. I wouldn't be nearly so troubled if not for the misleading (and that's a kind description of how I feel) testimony of those "leaders" who witnessed the early showings.

I have seen the movie, and as far as I'm concerned it's a fictionalized account of Jesus' last 12 hours or so. Other than a few of the flash backs and the general truth that Jesus was crucified, there is a little bibical truth mixed in with a unhealthly dose of fiction.

Can God bring people to Himself after they have seen the movie.... sure. If He could bring people to Himself after 9/11 he could sure do it after this movie. That doesn't mean the movie is accurate.... just like it doesn't mean 9/11 was a good thing.

Bereans, huh? I like that. I may use that term to describe myself. It's sure a good pattern to follow.

15. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Glory Bound: it's obvious isn't it?

God is yelling at us Christians:

DO NOT trust any evangelcal leaders, nor liturgical leaders, nor any ministry, nor anything at all.

Trust in Jesus Christ personally as your only reliable Leader.

Every single other thing will either disappoint, or in worst case, deceive.

That is the loud trumpet call to all.

Follow no one, only Jesus Christ.

Forget Erwin Lutzer, Charles Finney, Spurgeon, Calvin, Hagee, Jakes, Hinn, vaspers, Robertson, Graham, Moody, Wesley, Augustine, Fenelon, Emmerich, Gibson, forget em all...

...cling to the Christ, the one and only.

:cool: [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

Phillip wrote:
    Third, and I ask again (its like talking to a KJVO) answer me what exactly are you going to do if a non-christian asks you about "that Jesus" shown in "that movie". Are you going to tell him that he shouldn't have seen it? That he has it all wrong? If you do, you have probably lost any chance to witness that you had before he asked. Are you actively seeking people who have seen the movie to help them understand what they saw? Are you taking advantage of this opportunity? Or are you telling everybody you know about how evil the movie is?

Just curious?

MalkyEL:
    I responded to your question once before, can't remember which thread, but certainly is worth repeating. [And yes, I saw the movie.]

From my perspective, this is not an opportunity to share the gospel, because the movie is not the gospel message. Jesus spoke these words:

Matt 7
    15 ¶ Beware of false prophets who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
    16 You shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thorns, or figs from thistles?
    17 Even so every good tree brings forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree brings forth evil fruit.
    18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruits, nor can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
    19 Every tree that does not bring forth good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
    20 Therefore by their fruits you shall know them.
    21 ¶ Not everyone who says to Me, Lord! Lord! shall enter the kingdom of Heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in Heaven.
    22 Many will say to Me in that day, Lord! Lord! Did we not prophesy in Your name, and through Your name throw out demons, and through Your name do many wonderful works?
    23 And then I will say to them I never knew you! Depart from Me, those working lawlessness!

In other words, what looks like truth, feels like truth, smells like truth, and tastes like truth may be in fact be a corrupt tree. Deception looks good on the outside [Eve and the "apple"] but is decayed on the inside.

All truth must be held against the Standard of the Word of God. If it does not "pass", then it is junk.

I have had the opportunity to share with others about the movie. Depending on who the person is, is how I respond. Some are mature Christians who can accept the truth. Some are not interested in the truth. I have not met someone yet who is "unsaved" to discuss the movie with. I witness to those that God places in my life according to His will.

If an unbeliever were to ask me about the movie, I will gently, but firmly steer them to the Bible. It is full of beautiful passages which describe what Jesus [The Bible Jesus] suffered, how He was crucified, why He was crucified, and spend more than 12 seconds [like the movie] on His resurrection. The NT is full of life-giving Spirit filled texts that speak of His sacrifice and of the salvation process. [if you would like a list, I can provide you with it - or else, if you have a good concordance, just look up the word "Jesus" - you will have more than you need to share HIS STORY :D ]

I hope that answers your question [​IMG] ;)

17. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Did (or do) you feel the same way about THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST? After all, it too was about Jesus. There was a LOT of interest back when that movie was released, too!

What bothers me most about the movie is the build up by the so-called "religious leaders", many of whom I had respect for. I wouldn't be nearly so troubled if not for the misleading (and that's a kind description of how I feel) testimony of those "leaders" who witnessed the early showings.

I have seen the movie, and as far as I'm concerned it's a fictionalized account of Jesus' last 12 hours or so. Other than a few of the flash backs and the general truth that Jesus was crucified, there is a little bibical truth mixed in with a unhealthly dose of fiction.

Can God bring people to Himself after they have seen the movie.... sure. If He could bring people to Himself after 9/11 he could sure do it after this movie. That doesn't mean the movie is accurate.... just like it doesn't mean 9/11 was a good thing.

Bereans, huh? I like that. I may use that term to describe myself. It's sure a good pattern to follow.
    </font>[/QUOTE]The Last Temptation of Christ was never in the same category, nor did any Baptist religious leaders that I know ever ask anybody to see the movie. No comparison. ... strawman......

If you want to be call yourself a Berean, Obviously you have to join their denomination.

The rest has been hashed enough. In your eyes anybody who thinks of this movie as an opportunity is brain-washed anyway. That's your view.....Let's see how you explain Jesus to non-christians who ask about the movie...negatively or positively....Oh, you WILL say positively, but in reality I bet you take 90% of the time to slash the evil film. When all they asked was, what about "this Jesus".

18. vaspers

vaspers New Member

"this Jesus" of The Passion film?

Answer: a false Jesus, a One Eyed occult influenced Jesus depiction, a Mel Gibson violence lovers Jesus, a bridge dangling parody, a Mary strengthening fraudulent portrayal...

...now lets open the BIBLE, and wash away all the Helllywood nonsense...and see the real Jesus of the gospels.

19. Spirit and Truth

Phillip,

My "feelings" detectors that I have posted here on Reality Island are all howling like crazy. Quick...pull out some scripture to prove your point. You are currently standing here "naked", and you are making the other guests a little nervous.

[​IMG]

Phillip:

If you want to be call yourself a Berean, Obviously you have to join their denomination.

S&T:

psssssst.....Phil.......the Bereans mentioned in the book of Acts.......they weren't Baptists......

20. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

You are right in one extent, but wrong in another. How about the great commission? Jesus intends to use Christians to carry it out and if I'm sitting at home claiming to only be "clinging to Jesus", then I might miss that poor ole' soul who needs Jesus as bad as I do.

You are right to say "cling to the Christ, the one and only. The men you list (at least SOME of them) have led many to the Lord. You don't cling to them you cling to the Lord. A person watching the movie does not cling to Mel Gibson, he or she asks "what about this Christ who was horribly beaten, died and was ressurected." Tell me about him? Then you spend your time bashing the movie for its evils. That's the way I see this. Tell me if I am wrong.

For the other poster who said it would have been indecent for Jesus to have left the tomb naked. Who saw him? Yes, probably God clothed him, but where do you get that Biblically? He was "simply gone" when the women arrived at the tomb, not hanging around without clothes. :rolleyes: