1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"It is Finished!"

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Primitive Baptist, Jul 2, 2002.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Larry said:
    Obviously it is not, read the verse again... Then again read the whole chapter!... I've NEVER heard these two elections mentioned in any Primitive Baptist Church... Corporate/Personal election does not exist in the scriptures!... Must be a works doctrine that you other brethren believe!... Brother Glen :eek:

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adam did not have a corrupt nature when he was created. He could choose to serve God without any taint of sin. You and I do not have that option.

One redeemed by Christ's blood,

Ken
    Were it not for grace...

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Because something is not mentioned in a primitive baptist church (a minuscule slice of baptists, much less orthodox Christianity), that makes it non-existent???? Come now Glen ... This has nothign to do with works. However, I assume you know that and were kidding with your statement (if you were not, shame on you).

The corporate/personal election distinction is a common division in theology. See Moo (NICNT) and Schreiner (BECNT) for good discussion of this passage. Corporate election is used by some to refer to "election in Christ" or the elect as a body rather than individuals. That is not how it is used here. Here it refers to the fact that God chose (elected) Israel as a people above all the other nations of the earth. That is not personal election since not all Israel was saved. However, the point of the verse, is that Israel as a nation has not been cast off because of the promise God made to the fathers. Because of God's choice, they are loved because of the fathers.

How can you say this is personal election to salvation when clearly these people actively rejected Christ?? This is not someone who never heard. This is someone who actively rejected.

I seriously did not know there was anyone versed in these issues who did not accept this distinction. You learn something new everyday.

4. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    With Adam the nature to sin was passed. therefore we have this sin nature. with God, He imputed the original sin to everyone. and that imputation of the original sin by God Himself has been God's foremost reason to condemn everybody. it is even the reason why we sin. that is, man sin because he is spiritually dead, and not the other way around. why? because God caused it by imputing the original sin to man, and thus, spiritual death and condemnation. in fact the law was given to prove that we are condemend. Primitive Baptist, did you consider this fact? For indeed Calvin did, that is why he was able to conclude "double predestination." you talk about man in their natural condition, but who caused man to be in that natural state, being with an original sin?

i do not agree with double predestination, nor with electionists. but rather i see God's wonderful design in imputing the orginal sin to everyone so that upon condemning everybody, Christ can already die for everybody. thus, the issue of the original sin, sin nature, and personally committed sins of everyone is already over come salvation. what matters now is faith in Christ. in the end, God caused man to be condemned by imputing the original sin on him, but God solved it Himself by Christ's death on the cross, including all those sins which man caused for himself (God having imposed laws for man to see his condemnation by persnollay sinning). Now that is grace! Also, that is sovereignty, God having His way!

what is left to be accomplished to everyone is God's justification, which will come at faith.

[ July 03, 2002, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Aki ]

5. Primitive Baptist

Primitive Baptist New Member

I don't think this is a board to slander churches, so I don't appreciate that very much.

Every time the word "save" occurs in the Bible, it doesn't necessarily have reference to eternal salvation.

"And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call." (Joel 2:32)

"And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Acts 2:21)

save = deliver

Paul wrote in his second epistle to the Corinthians, "Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us;" (2 Cor. 1:10) God hath saved us, doth save us, and will save us. He saved us eternally at the cross (Jn. 17:2), is saving us now in time (Acts 2:21), and will save us from our corruptible bodies at the resurrection (Rom. 8:21).

I also believe God works His sovereign will in response to prayers, but I don't believe God determined all acts before the foundation of the world as you do. I'm confused because it seems contradicting to believe God works His sovereign will in response to prayers when He's already determined whether or not you will pray. How have I removed the responsibility of man?

He gave us the word of reconciliation, not the work of it. Christ has already did the reconciling. Now, we must reconcile with what He done in our own minds.

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." (Jn. 3:18)

"Condemned" is in the perfect tense. "The perfect tense in Greek corresponds to the perfect tense in English, and describes an action which is viewed as having been completed in the past, once and for all, not needing to be repeated." (Strong's) Those who have heard the Gospel and willingly reject it, manifest their reprobation and the fact they are condemned already. Their unbelief was evidence of that fact, not the cause of it. There's no conditional faith in John 3:18.

Where does the Bible teach that God imputed Adam's sin to mankind?

[ July 03, 2002, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Primitive Baptist ]

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I assume you are referring to me although you didn't address it. I have not seen anyone slander any church. If I see it, I will edit it.

You have no argument here from me. But that is not the point. clearly sometimes it does have reference to eternal salvation, just as Rom 5:1 says that we have been justified by faith, so Rom 10: says that we are saved by faith.

[/qb]Because the verse you quoted clearly tied the harvest the going forth of laborers. Yet you say the harvest will come in without the laborers going. In fact, in your scheme, there is no need of laborers going because the elect are already saved. That is totally contrary to everything Scriptural example and teaching about the gospel.

I didn't say he gave us the work of reconciliation. I agree that he did the reconciling. Yet if you read 2 Cor 5:18-21, it is totally at odds with your position. Paul had a call from God to beg others to be reconciled, to share the ministry of reconciliation with others, and that call was inscripturated for us. Therefore, we are to preach the message of reconciliation as ambassadors of God and beg people to be reconciled. Nowhere in Scripture do you see any called to recognize their reconciliation that has already taken place. That simply is not there.

That is not what the verse says. It says they are condemned because they have not believed. Again, the issue becomes one of authority. Do we accept what the text of Scripture says or do we assert our own systems as authority over it. Your position makes a lot of sense in a lot of areas. Were it not for the text of inspired Scripture, you could make a believer of me very clearly. The problem is the text of Scripture. It simply does not reconcile with your position.

Rom 5, 1 Cor 15.

7. Primitive Baptist

Preachers don't make the harvest, they bring it in. Jesus said, "Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest." (Jn. 4:35) The harvest is reaping that which has been sown. Gathering men into the kingdom of God is our responsibilty, not preparing them for such. Read the parable of the sower (Mt. 13:3-9). The seed (Gospel) won't accomplish anything unless God has first prepared the soil (heart). When preachers think it's their duty to save souls, it won't be long until they think it's their duty to secure them. The elect were saved from the covenant standpoint 2,000 years ago. They are made a vital partaker of what Christ done in time when they are born of the Spirit.

John Gill's Exposition of the Bible

John 3:18

He that believeth on him is not condemned… Whether Jew or Gentile, because a believer is openly in Christ; and there is no condemnation to those that are in him: and though the sentence of death passed upon all in Adam, and judgment came upon all men to condemnation in him; yet this sentence being executed on Christ, the surety of his people, who has been condemned to death, and has suffered it in their stead, his death is a security to them from all condemnation: and they are delivered by him from the curse and condemnation of the law: and having in conversion openly passed from death to life, they shall never enter into condemnation; and this is the happy case of every one that believes in Christ:

but he that believeth not is condemned already.The Persic version renders it, "from the beginning"; he remains under the sentence of condemnation passed in Adam upon him; the law accuses him, and pronounces him guilty before God; he is under the curse of it, and it is a ministration of condemnation and death to him; nor has he any thing to secure him from its charge, curse, and condemnation: this must be understood of one that is a final unbeliever, or that lives, and dies, in a state of impenitence, and unbelief:

because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God;
    whom God has sent to be the Saviour of lost sinners, and to deliver them from wrath to come; and there is no other name but his, whereby men can be saved; so that such that do not believe in him, must be damned.

[ July 04, 2002, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Primitive Baptist ]

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I don't disagree with that at all. I firmly affirm it ... ( [​IMG] ). However, you and I are saying different things I think. I am saying that the reaping is necessary ... that the laborers do go out into the harvest and the harvest is the saving of souls. Men do not save nor secure. They reap where someone else has sown. But until such time as the God given faith is exercised, a person cannot be said to be justified or born again.

9. Primitive Baptist

The message of what Jesus Christ did for someone doesn't make it a fact. In regeneration, God takes out the stony heart and puts a heart of flesh within. It is then, and only then, the elect believe and can respond in Gospel obedience. There's a "Gospel salvation." The Gospel calls the elect to faith and obedience, not as conditions, but as evidence of God's saving grace in their lives.

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

The message is the fact. I agree about regeneration but that is not the issue. The issue is, Is faith a necessary part of justification and salvation. According to Scripture, it is. That faith is the gift of God and apart from God man is incapable of exercising that faith. On the elect can believe and it is only after the sovereign work of God on the heart. But that sovereign work of God will not happen apart from the word of God being communicated.

11. Primitive Baptist

John Gill's Exposition of the Bible

Romans 5:1

Therefore being justified by faith…
    Not that faith is at the first of our justification; for that is a sentence which passed in the mind of God from all eternity, and which passed on Christ, and on all the elect considered in him, when he rose from the dead; see (Romans 4:25) ; nor is it the chief, or has it the chief place in justification; it is not the efficient cause of it, it is God that justifies, and not faith; it is not the moving cause of it, that is the free grace of God; it is not the matter of it, that is the righteousness of Christ: we are not justified by faith, either as God's work in us, for, as such, it is a part of sanctification; nor as our work or act, as exercised by us, for then we should be justified by works, by something of our own, and have whereof to glory; but we are justified by faith objectively and relatively, as that relates to the object Christ, and his righteousness; or as it is a means of our knowledge, and perception of our justification by Christ's righteousness, and of our enjoying the comfort of it; and so we come to

have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
    The apostle having set the doctrine of justification in a clear light, and fully proved that it is not by the works of men, but by the righteousness of God; and having mentioned the several causes of it, proceeds to consider its effects, among which, peace with God stands in the first place; and is so called, to distinguish it from peace with men, which persons, though justified by faith in Christ's righteousness, may not have; but are sure, having a sense of this, to find peace with God, even with him against whom they have sinned, whose law they have transgressed, and whose justice they have affronted; reconciliation for sin being made, and a justifying righteousness brought in, and this imputed and applied to them, they have that "peace of God", that tranquillity and serenity of mind, the same with "peace with God" here, "which passes all understanding", (Philippians 4:7) ; and is better experienced than expressed: and this is all through our Lord Jesus Christ; it springs from his atoning sacrifice, and precious blood, by which he has made peace; and is communicated through the imputation of his righteousness, and the application of his blood; and is only felt and enjoyed in a way of believing, by looking to him as the Lord our righteousness.

***BAPTISTS HAVE ALWAYS BELIEVED IN REGENERATION WITHOUT MEANS.***

12. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

You remember the woman with the 'issue of blood.' God responded by saying, 'My faith hath made you whole.' (I don't think so) What Jesus did say was 'Thy faith hath made you whole.'
    It is our human response to God's call to salvation, called faith, that makes us a 'new creation in Christ Jesus.' God does not infuse us with faith coming from Him; we reach out in faith/trust toward He who is able to heal the sinners darkened life.

13. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Primitive Baptist said:
    ... That among other reasons was the cause of the split of 1832!... and the scripture "It Is Finished"... became not what was said!

Pastor Larry there is something you should know about Primitive Baptist and I speak as having been one for 35 years. I don't know about the other Primitive Baptist brethren on the BB but I only speak from my experience. These seminary words you brethren bring up like hermanutics, corporate/personal election... instead of elect and non-elect have never been heard in my church. Primitive Baptist are simple folk and these what we call seminary words would not impress our people. If our preachers are seminary trained it's because they have crossed over from the other side and have to prove themselves among our brethren before they can preach. Those who come up among us are self taught and liberated to exercise to see if they have the gift. If after liberated when the church feels the brother is qualified then he is ordained. Sorry to go off topic but I wanted to clear things up!... When I say I've never heard of that even though you are serious in your statement I'm not kidding... You have no idea how primitive... Primitive Baptist really are!... by primitive we mean original!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

[ July 05, 2002, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: tyndale1946 ]

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I remember correctly, infusion is a Roman Catholic term for their false doctrine of infusion of righteousness. The Bible teaches imputation of Christ's righteousness.

And...a dead sinner can't reach out toward anyone without being given spiritual life(the new birth) first.

One redeemed by Christ's blood,

Ken
    Were it not grace...

15. Primitive Baptist

The faith of the woman with the "issue of blood" did not merit or bring about the cure, but the object of her faith, Jesus Christ. Through faith the woman received the blessings of salvation and the comfort of it. "But of him are ye in Christ Jesus..." (I Cor. 1:30) These words direct all glory to God, not man. "So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy." (Rom. 9:16) Salvation is according to the free and sovereign grace of God. "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (Rom. 10:17) The Gospel has been preached, the "altar calls" have been given, the tracts have been printed...Why do not all have faith? "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him..." (Jn. 6:44)

"Infidelity spreads as Arminianism spreads."
    -Elder Benjamin Lampton

[ July 05, 2002, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: Primitive Baptist ]

16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I am not arguing anything differently. What I am saying is what the Bible says -- that regeneration is accompanied by an objective realization of the message of the gospel, faith and repentance that leads to life. There is no regeneration that takes place absent the proclamation of the message.

Glen, As for big words and the like, they are not the issures. HOwever, those in authority to teach need to be familiar with these things. It is fine to be "down home" and all that but these are common words and ideas in theological writing that are very important in preparing to preach and teach. Ignorance of them is not a virtue. I am not suggesting that one need to know the words, but they need to be familiar with teh ideas. Oftentimes, the Bible is unclearly taught, or taught without a theological basis of systematic theology and the end result is false teaching from sincere people who believe they are right. That is a danger in churches because teachers have a great responsibility (James 3:1). It is something to be very careful of.

17. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Larry [​IMG] ... Brother Glen

18. Primitive Baptist

What would be your thoughts concerning Cornelius' or the eunuch's behavior prior to hearing the Gospel? The natural man doesn't seek God. Isn't that what you teach? (Acts 8:34; 10:30, 31)

19. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Ken,

I too, believe in the imputation of Christ into our lives at the moment of our conversion to Him.

20. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Primitive Baptist,

You are right. I don't know any real Christian who would want to try to say that her own faith in herself brought about her cure. Her ability to believe that Jesus could make her whole is what brought about the cure. I am sure she took know credit for her steps toward Christ.