1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured It Will Cost You Everything

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Feb 11, 2012.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Scripture does teach it:

Luke 14:33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

Have you obeyed Christ?

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
    26If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

27And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

28For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?

29Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him,

30Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish.

31Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand?

32Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace.

33So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

#42 Iconoclast, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2012
  3. JoReba

JoReba New Member

Forsaking for Christ all we have is not a "cost."

The meaning of a "cost" involved action is that an exchange takes place between two parties. Christ does not want any of the things we have. We have nothing to give Him. He already is omnipotent and and in ownership of all things in Heaven and on Earth.

Speak and post the Words of Christ, rather than Churchy sounding aphorisms which mean nothing, such as "cost."

Have you forsaken everything, even your own ideas? Do you hate your father, mother, wife, sisters, brothers, and children? Name ten of Christ's Commands which you obey. I doubt you can.

4. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Some people on the BB think that I am the worst, most antagonistic individual on here.

Well, i think i can officially pass that title on to you.:thumbs:

John

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

No John, you're still in first place! :laugh:

6. seekingthetruth

And you are the only buddy I have on here!!!!:thumbs:

John

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ohhhhh Heck! :laugh: You guys are just toooooo FUNNY! :laugh:

8. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Reminds me of a guy who told me he had a trophy wife. I met her one day. I gather her trophy was for last place. :laugh:

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Beauty I guess is in the eye of the beholder;)

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, it's not necessary to hide one's profile.
    One could always lie to hide the truth about themselves.

HankD

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll repeat myself.

I don't think FAL (although I can't know for sure) meant that our salvation depends on anything we can give in exchange for it.

It is not cost but motivation.

If we have indeed been born from above then the Spirit of God dwells within us and we are capable of agape love of which only the children of God are capable.

1 Corinthians 13 (NKJV)
    1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
    2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
    3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.
    4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;
    5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;
    6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;
    7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
    8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.​

This kind of love does not "count the cost" to itself but is (or should be) willing to do whatever the loved one requests not because it is required but because we love Him who first loved us.

HankD

12. seekingthetruth

Well, I am not a trophy of any kind:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

John

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Christ forsook the glories of heaven, came down and lived among men, and eventually gave his life. It cost him his life to pay the penalty for our sins. The cost of the atonement was the blood of Christ.
    If you will be His disciple it will cost your life.

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
    --The cost is your body--a living sacrifice.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
    --The cost is not being conformed to this world...it is the perfect will of God.

Luke 6:22-23 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake. Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.
    --The cost is great suffering.

Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
    --The cost is: 1. To deny yourself--saying no to your own desires.
    2. To take up your cross. Jesus died on a cross, as did two thieves on either side of him. The cross was the common mode of execution. You must be willing to die to self each day. Paul said "I die daily." He said: "I am crucified with Christ." He put to death his fleshly desires and wants each day. In their place he put Christ.
    3. He followed Christ and only Christ.

Luke 9:62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

Luke 14:27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

Luke 14:28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?
    --It is necessary to count the cost of becoming a disciple.

Luke 14:33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

There is a cost; it is your life. It is a willingness to forsake all that you have to follow Christ; to forsake the world and all that the world has to offer; to give up everything to follow him.
    True. Christ sacrificed his life; what have you sacrificed for him?
    He sacrificed himself; now he wants you, a living sacrifice. He doesn't want your things. Give them up. He wants you and you alone. As he said to the rich young ruler.

Mark 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
    --Are you willing to do that?
    I have posted the words of Christ. Is that what you call "churchy"?
    Yes, I sold all that I had, gave away the rest, left this nation and went as a missionary to a third world nation where we didn't understand the culture or the language. We left behind relatives including mother and father. We put Christ first. We forsook all that we had to bring the gospel to others who had never heard it before.

We lived in a nation where electricity was intermittent, the water unsafe to drink, and the sewage ran openly. It is something you can't imagine but only experience. This is the command of Christ. Forsake all that you have and follow him. It will cost you everything. Are you willing to obey him? He sacrificed his life for you; what are you willing to do for Him?