1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

It's About Time... to Go After Employers for Hiring Illegals

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Aug 8, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/08/w...int&adxnnlx=1186585805-ZCDHOqe9f0d7EmQoTg82yA

August 8, 2007

U.S. Readies Tough Rules on Employers of Immigrants
    By JULIA PRESTON

In a new effort to crack down on illegal immigrants, federal authorities are expected to announce tough rules this week that would require employers to fire workers who use false Social Security numbers.

Officials said the rules would be backed up by stepped-up raids on workplaces across the country that employ illegal immigrants.
    After first proposing the rules last year, Department of Homeland Security officials said they held off finishing them to await the outcome of the debate in Congress over a sweeping immigration bill. That measure, which was supported by President Bush, died in the Senate in June.

Now Bush administration officials are signaling that they intend to clamp down on employers of illegal immigrants even without a new immigration law. The approach is expected to play well with conservatives who have long demanded a tougher stance on illegal immigration, but could also spur a renewed legislative effort to provide legal status for the estimated six million or so unauthorized immigrants in the work force.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought this would be a hot topic.

Guess not. (shrug)

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

This is all smoke and mirrors.

I have a friend who is a contractor. The law requires him to accept ID, even if he's positive it's a fake.

At that point, he has to file a form.

Several months later, someone investigates. By this time, said employee is long gone.

If they want to crack down, it will take more than this pittance.

But, I do agree they need to crack down, and really put the hammer down!

4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If no one could be hired without a valid SS#, the illegal immigration issue would be well on its way to being solved. Govt. needs a verification process. In todays world, it seems computers should make that an easy job.

#4 hillclimber1, Aug 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2007
  5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The usual list of suspects are already screaming bloody murder.

Even though this move may be relatively ineffective, they want it to be totally ineffective.

6. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

I don't think this lunacy will end. It will probably increase. I'm reminded of an old appropriate song: Slip Slidin' Away.......Simon and Garfunkel I think

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am running for a local public office in this years November election.
    My offical position is that I will not expect employers to abide by the law until the govt does its job, by denying benefits to illegals

8. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

You should abide by the law, but if you don't like it, work to change it.

9. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

How binding is an illegal law?

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Immigration Crackdown Worries Employers

Aug 10, 6:24 PM (ET)
    By JULIANA BARBASSA

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Farmers and other employers who rely heavily on immigrant labor said Friday that they could be driven out of business by the Bush administration's plans to crack down on workers whose Social Security numbers do not match their names, and businesses that hire them.

Administration officials said the stepped-up enforcement would begin in 30 days.

"Everyone's very anxious," said Paul Schlegel, director of public policy for the American Farm Bureau Federation. "We're heading into the busiest time of the year for agriculture, so you're going to see a lot of worry from farmers and employers about how you deal with this."

The industry group, which represents 75 percent of U.S. farmers, estimates at least half the nation's 1 million farm workers do not have valid Social Security numbers. Losing them would devastate the industry, particularly fruit and vegetable growers, which rely heavily on manual labor, farmers said.

Other businesses that count on large numbers of illegal workers include construction, janitorial and landscaping companies, and hotels and restaurants.

11. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Businesses run illegally are going to have to pay the piper.

12. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

But first the people who are charged with enforcing the law will need funding. Is there any set aside for this purpose? I think not. So, therefore it's just more empty words from a globalist regime backed into a corner by the people who are being affected by it's policies of open borders, amnesty and "free trade". Just like the border fence deal, they can say they're going to build one but if there's no money to get-r-done it won't get done.

#12 poncho, Aug 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2007
  13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're probably right, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they do what they say and it works.:praying:

At least, saying it out loud that you're going to address the problem is better than what we've been getting.

14. redbelt

redbelt New Member

It's been said that America could not afford to send all the 12 million plus illegal immigrants back home. My thought is that America shouldn't pay for it anyway. I would require those who have hired the illegals to have to pay for them and any family that lives with them back to their home of orgin.

I'm not sure if I have heard of this approach presented, but I like it.

15. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Probably unrealistic. Just cut off the money supply and they will go home on their own.