1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

It's Calipari!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Tom Butler, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Late Tuesday afternoon, John Calipari became the basketball coach at the University of Kentucky. Calipari was quoted as saying that it was easy to go to Kentucky but hard to leave the University of Memphis.

And word is that he'll become the highest-paid college basketball coach in the United States. Details to come.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Oops. Officially nothing out of UK, but it's apparently a done deal at this writing.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Interesting that it took Cal this long. I'm hearing from some UK boosters that they are not happy already. Took too long...not committed...where's his heart...not a Big Blue guy...that kind of thing.

Will definitiely add fuel to the UT/UK fire. Cal and Pearl can't stand each other. Cal now has no choice to play in Knoxville :)

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Seemingly.

Ed

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I'm glad to see all the UK folks now have a round ball coach, again.

My question is can Cal get the players in at UK that he was able to get in at Memphis. I have heard that UK was harder to get into than a lot of other schools. But Sutton got a few in who didn't have the best grades around.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

FTR, UK was effectively without a head coach, this past week, for a grand total of ~100 hrs., or slightly over four 24 hr. days, for some perspective here.

As to the academic requirements at UK, I'm not sure but would suspect that all the 8 public state universities in KY have pretty much the same, if not identical standards, for admission. I cannot possibly know how that might compare to the public institutions of other U.S. states, Commonwealths, territories and the District of Columbia, but I would suspect that the laws and/or criteria of every one of them varies some from one another. Private institutions can and do set their own standards, which likely do vary greatly, from example to example, however.

Incidentally, I believe this entire UK scenario, with the parting of ways and monetary severance with Coach Billy Gillespie, and the subsequent hiring of Coach John Calipari, with what will be paid for the fulfillment of monetary issues at Memphis, that the UK Athletics board has taken responsibility for, is likely to run in the neighborhood of $8-10 Million, this year.

>

>

>

Nice neighborhood! :thumbsup:

Ed

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

UK has to play by SEC standards for admission. That said, there are variances. There were many in the 90s who couldn't get in at UT, Vandy, etc., who wound up at UK.

Where UK is going to have a recruiting problem is all these letters UK's Pres said they'd honor. That means you don't have room for the Memphis recruits who say they might follow Cal (so essentially, UK has bought a coach and about three players potentially). Going to be a lot of dust boiling in Lexington for a while.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Would it help if they were told that Adolph Rupp isn't walking through that door? It wouldn't? Nevermind then. It doesn't matter, because they'll all be singing a different tune the first time Calipari takes them to the Final Four. This isn't like Billy Gillespie who'd never done it before taking the UK job. This is a guy who's one of only a few coaches to take teams from 2 different schools to the Final Four. Kentucky hit the proverbial home run by hiring Calipari.

If you hate Kentucky like I do, in a few years we'll be wistfully looking back on the Gillespie days and saying, "Remember when Kentucky lost to Gardner-Webb? Yeah. Good times."

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Rick Pitino, who took them to a national title and three FF in five years was universally disdained. Tubby was hated from the get-go and couldn't win enough.

This is a fan base that has some issues. Serious ones. Every fan base has its loonies though. But this one has more than its share. Just check the reporter who ran down (literally) BG on his way out.