1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

It's John Calvin's Birthday -- July 10

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The great Reformer was born this day in Noyen , France -- 1509 . He would be 498 years old today ! But since departing for Glory "he being dead yet liveth and speaketh" as they say .

A number of folks here who hold to the doctrine of grace have said they are not that familiar with his works . I believe them . Their beliefs stem from Bible study , not the study of Calvin's Institutes and Commentaries .

As is my habit as the snippet-king I will give some select tidbits to show Calvin's actual beliefs ( as opposed to some error-filled opinions about the man ) .

First up will be some snips from : The Doctrine Of Election . His text was 2 Timothy 1:9,10 .

However , let us hold fast that which is here taught us: God having chosen us before the world had its course , we must attribute the cause of our salvation to His free goodness ; we must confess that He did not take us to be His children , for any deserts of our own ; for we had nothing to recommend ourselves into His favor . Therefore , we must put the cause and fountain of our salvation in Him only , and ground ourselves upon it : otherwise , whatsoever and howsoever we build , it will come to nought .

... if they attribute faith to man's free will , they blaspheme wickedly against God , and commit sacrilege . We must come to that which the scripture showeth ; to wit , when God giveth us faith , we must know that we are not capable of receiving the gospel , only as he hath framed us by the Holy Ghost .

... Why is faith given to one and not to another ? St. Luke showeth us : saying , "As many as were ordained to eternal life believed" ( Acts 13:48 ) . There were a great number of hearers , and yet but few of them received the promise of salvation . And what few were they ? Those that were appointed to salvation . Again , St. Paul speaketh so largely upon this subject , in his epistle to the Ephesians , that it cannot be but the enemies of God's predestination are stupid and ignorant , and that the devil hath plucked out their eyes ; and that they have become void of all reason , if they cannot see a thing so plain and evident .

... God hath fore-ordained that He would save us ; seeing we were lost and cast away in Adam . There are certain dolts , who , to blind the eyes of the simple and such as are like themselves , say , the grace of salvation was given us because God ordained that His Son should redeem mankind , and therefore this is common to all .

2. AAA

AAA New Member

It is so amazing how great of an influence a men can have on modern day debates of religion...And still most people reject the doctrine of GRACE...

A mere man can't turn the tide of sin and rejection in a man's heart, but GOD can with HIS HOLY SPIRIT conviction...

#2 AAA, Jul 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Techinically...isn't he still 498 years old today? ;)

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

He doesn't look a day over 495.

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Thanks for bringing the awareness to BB.:thumbs:

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Snips From His Commentary On Eph. 2:8,9

This applies to none but believers . As the descendants of Adam , they were wicked and depraved ; but by the grace of Christ , they are spiritually renewed , and become new men . Everything in us , therefore , that is good , is the supernatural gift of God . The context explains his meaning. We are his work , because we have been created , not in Adam , but in Christ Jesus , -- not to every kind of life , but to good works .
    What remains now for free-will , if all the good works which proceed from us are acknowledged to have been the gifts of the Spirit of God ? Let godly readers weigh carefully the apostle's words . He does not say that we are assisted by God . He does not say that the will is prepared ,and is then left to run by its own strength . He does not say that the power of choosing aright is bestowed upon us , and that we are afterwards left to make our own choice . Such is the idle talk in which those persons who do their utmost to undervalue the grace of God are accustomed to indulge . But the apostle affirms that we are God's work , and that everything good in us is his creation ; by which he means that the whole man is formed by his hand to be good . It is not the mere power of choosing aright , or some indescribable kind of preparation , or even assistance , but the right will itself , which is his workmanship ; otherwise Paul's argument would have no force .

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I forgot to get him anything. But he'll just have to forgive me; after all, it was predestined.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give God the glory for the gift of John Calvin to His Church .

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

You would think that I would have known that I share my birth date with John Calvin of all people!

That's right - J.D. hit the big 5-0 today. I've got my letter from AARP so am I officialy old now?

Thanks Rippon for the post - Some day I'm going to get the Institutes and actually study the writings of the guy I have so often been alleged to follow.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    HAPPY B-D . JD ! ( Mine is coming up on the 19th ) .

You didn't know you shared a birthday with the Genevan ? Even if you haven't read any of his works that does seem odd .

Nevertheless , reading his commentaries and sermons ( special treat ) will fast acquaint you with how valuable a servant of the LORD he was . The Institutes Of The Christian Religion is in a class by itself . Get Calvin's letters as well .

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Happy B-D too! Rippon, have you read Steve Lawson's The Expository Genius of John Calvin. I find it to be an excellent little book. Check it out if you haven't at wtsbooks.com :http://www.wtsbooks.com/product-exe...e_Expository_Genius_of_John_Calvin_Hardcover_

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I paged through it at the bookstore . I want it badly . Also , Robert Reymond has written a book on Calvin along the same lines I think .

13. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, I really didn't know. But from now on I'm going to call it "John Calvin Day" and use it to share some of his writings with my family, i.e. must listen to JD reading a few lines of the Institutes before anyone can have cake. Ha!

But back on the subject, as I continue in my studies I'm realizing how much I need to get more familiar with the great historical documents like the Institutes and the major confessions.

14. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

To celebrate John Calvin's birthday I handed out fifty-eight death sentences and exiled seventy-six people. I even baptized my infant son.

I even burned a Servetus effigy instead of the 400+ candles on the cake.

15. skypair

skypair Active Member

Pardon but...

Isn't the SAINT John Calvin??

skypair

16. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Rippon, mine is the 19th as well!
    I am starting to feel old. I will be 27 lol

17. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I know you don't like the guy, but do you have to resort to such hateful tactics to prove your point?

18. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

Nothing hateful at all, Dale-c.

Reporting historical facts does not equal hate.

19. npetreley

npetreley New Member

!! I'm 39. I've been 39 for about 15 years now.

20. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

Now that is funny. Never heard it put that way.