1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Its NHL playoff time!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Apr 7, 2008.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I never said that it is not luck. The Wings have gotten some good bounces there way. But clearly, man for man roster-wise, the talent belongs to the Wings.

That was clear last night. Detroit has out-skated and out played Nashville for most of the periods of this series. The one factor that has kept them in it is the outstanding goaltending from Ellis. Kudos to him. Not many goaltenders can face over 50 shots a game and only let two go by him.

I think Babcock´s decision to go with Osgood instead of Hasek was wise. He has had a better year and seems to be a little more nimble than the aging great.

By the way, as I said, I did not believe there was a change in momentum. The Wings did not do anything different last night other than the change in net. They do not let a couple of playoff losses get to their heads but respond with good solid hockey.

2. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the way you guys talk, you would think that the DEAD wings are the only team!

GO AVS!!! PLAY ON !!!!

One team down.....2 to go.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I do not think there is any question, nor is there anyone on here in their right mind, that would question the fact that Detroit has a better roster. NSH let some of their marquee names get away prior to getting the "Is the team staying in NSH" question setttled with the ownership. However, you cannot question how competitive these two teams are, how competitive they are in the reg season (this year and years past) and how competitive it is this series. The fact that DET outskated NSH the other night TOTALLY, yet NSH took the Wings to OT, shows the heart and determination of the Preds. This is no 1 vs 8 NBA matchup. Your intimation that this was going to be a walkover has long since flown out the window, as I said it would. I agree with you that Osgood is the man between the pipes for the Wings. Hasek's 41 year old play is not the play of 5 years ago. Ellis has been amazing at times. No question that the momentum is back on the side of Detroit. Should NSH win today, it's anyone's series. Terry Crisp said it best: Game 7s are beasts of their own making. But first, game 6 today. Unfortunately, I'll miss the last period. Hopefully, I'll hear good news tonight and we'll either discuss a great upcoming game 7 or you'll hear me congratulate the Wings on surviving a tough challenge.

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I only got to see the first period (thanks to channelsurfing.net) The Preds played tough. And Ellis is a top notch goaltender- possibly a future HOFer.

I have to say that I believe that Detroit/Nashville is a new school hockey rivalry. Its clear that they play each other tough. Thanks for a well fought series NSH. You have a good young team and are just a player or two away from being great. You played better than I expected (hey the Preds barely squeaked into the post-season, I had good reason to doubt their toughness).

GO WINGS!!!!

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Stars finished off the defending Stanley Cup champions tonight for their first playoff series win since 2003.

GO STARS!!!!

6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I am glad for Dallas, and for the AVs as well. I like the old school teams winning in the playoffs. It brings back some good memories.

I believe the Wings play Colorado in the western conf. semis. To bad the Avs are not the team they used to be back in the rivalry days (I am not say they are not good, they just are not the same as in the days of Roy and Lemeiux).

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Hats off to Det. Good break on the bouncer, but a hard fought win that was another close yet decisive performance. NSH couldn't get anything on net that couldn't hit a pipe. You're right about the rivalry. This has been brewing for a few seasons now. the previous two seasons saw NSH hit the 100 pt mark, only to lose to the Sharks. I think we get some guys now that the ownership is stable, and we move back to where we clawed our way up. Soon, a DET/NSH series will decide who plays the East representative for Lord Stanley's Cup.

Just one more thing: several months ago, it looked like our franchise was going to be stolen away from us. Despite good attendance numbers, the media and the hockey old guard ridiculed NSH. The old owner had long signaled he wanted out but wanted the team to stay local. Enter Jim Ballsille, who promised to keep the team in NSH. He broke that promise after signing his letter of intent to buy, promising to take the Preds to an arena in Hamilton ONT that if sold out ever night would cause the Preds avg attendance to DROP. The fans were outraged and took action. Petitions, Save the Predators drives, websites, public displays, the works. Long story short, a local ownership group steps up and it appears that the Predators will be the NASHVILLE PREDATORS for the future. Scoreboard? Fans 1, Big money raiders, 0.

So thank you Nashville Predators. You fought your way into the playoffs like champions. You played the #1 seed to an inch of their lives in gritty, hard hitting action. And above all else, you did so as the NASHVILLE Predators. We couldn't be more proud of you.

8. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NHL commentators say it was more luck than skill that won the final game for the Wings. Sometimes luck is there, sometimes its not.

The Avs are just now peaking.....watch out! Some of the other teams in the playoffs peaked a lot of weeks back.

Debbie Mc

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

The NHL commentator are are ridiculously have and anti Detroit bias, they always have. Its always what the other team did wrong not what the Wings did right. They only allowed 20 shots on net the entire game while making of 20 themselves. Thats not luck, that is is talent. Granted Lidstrom´s shot was a good bounce but non the less the Wings out played Nashville even though they played well.

The Avs may be peaking, but they they played the Wild. Not to take anything away from them but the Wild are not nearly the offensive threat Detroit is. And We did own you guys during the regular season (yes I know this is the playoffs and things are different) .

Besides if Calgary wins we play them instead, and you will have to play Dallas who are playing great right now.

10. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Give me a break, that is so not true. Only Detroit fans think this.

You mean like you was doing with NSH in the past series?

It is good to see that Detroit fans never change. It is always the same song and dance.

11. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

:laugh:

I love the irony.

12. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

How about them STARS - and oh by the way - go Calgary, they win and the Stars get home ice advantage vs Colorado. Not that home ice means anything anymore. This year in the playoffs it is whoever scores first wins. The percentage is off the charts.

Marty Turco is GREAT!!!!

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And don't forget about those three rookies on the blue line. :thumbs:

GO STARS!!!!

14. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, like anything from Texas is good......example? Cowboys....how Mr Romo Qback bombed out in the playoffs.

GO AVS!!!

15. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My husband says to tell you that they haven't been the same since Hatcher. There!!! :thumbs:

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well the Sharks won last night, so that means its Detroit and Colorado in round 2!! Time to renew the rivalry! Personally I think the wings match up much better against the Avs than they do against the Flames so this is a good thing.

17. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A MUCH better team in Denver than the last time they met, I guarantee that.

GO AVS!! PLAY ON!!!

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Great game last night. The AVs played the wings well but could not tie the game thanks to amazing Wing defense and stellar goaltending by Osgood. The goalie switch for Colorado was a good move. The way Theodore was playing the Wings would have ended up with at least 2 more goals before the night was over.

This game was great hockey. Lots of puck control which is very different from when these teams used to meet in the playoffs. I thought that Colorado would be a little stiffer defensively but Nashville actually gave Detroit a harder time than the AVs did last night.

Looking forward to tomorrow. GO WINGS!!!!

19. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Other than for one period in game 1 I don´t see a much better team. Granted the Avs have some key injuries but none the less, I think they are finding out that Detroit is on a whole different level than Minnesota.

Great to see DMac and McKormick drop the gloves last night- just like the old days when these were the the two best teams in the whole league and the rivalry was one of the most intense in all professional sports at that time.

Anyone that doubts the Wings goaltending better think again. Ozzy has been stellar between the pipes.

Go Wings!

20. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    all of Avs fans are mad at Coach Q - Jose is SICK, start Budaj!!!

We haven't given up yet.

Debbie Mc