1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

It's not the Bible till we say its the Bible....

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by CatholicConvert, Sep 22, 2003.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You have the perfect right to hold to the view of covenantalism. I will stand up for your right. That's the nature of soul liberty. You have the right to be wrong [​IMG]

I believe that Paul was using that statement "Israel of God" metaphorically. There will always be the nation of Israel, just as there is today, so will there be in the future. If we are the children of Israel, then what tribe are we from?

Most of God's covenants are unconditional. God's grace over-rules. "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." There is no condition. Believing cannot be cnsidered a condition. This is an unconditional promise; just as many of his covenants are unconditional.

The Sabbath Day could and was broken. A man gathered sticks on the Sabbath. That was work. He was taken outside the camp and stoned. He had broken the Sabbath. But the Sabbath still remained the sign of the covenant for the Jews. Just because it was broken did not annul the fact that the Sabbath remained a sign of the covenant--a perpetual covenant throughout the generations of Israel forever--the literal nation of Israel.

No, I don't believe that is true. Israel never claimed for themselves all the land that was promised to Abraham and his descendants. If you study it out in Genesis you will find that it was a massive piece of land that reached its peak under the rule of Solomon. Even then it was not as large as God had promised to Abraham, probably due to what it says throughout the first chapter of the book of Judges. "They fialed to drive out the Canaanites (and other inhabitants of the land).

I disagree. Not all of God's covenant are conditional. Actually very few are. Our God is a very merciful God.

Israel does not mean people of God. At best it means "prince of God," describing Jacob. However, as Christian means follower of Christ, it would be more accurate to say that Israelite means follower of Israel or Jacob, for so was his name. Are you a follower of Jacob or of Christ? Make up your mind. God chose the patriarchal fathers: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, his 12 sons, and eventually Moses to call out a nation for Himself, and to show forth His power and praises among the nations.
    When Christ came, the Jews rejected Him as their Messiah. They still remain a nation; they were not dissolved as a nation. They became spiritually blind in part to the truths of God's Word, but they are still here today, and no one can dispute that.
    We live in a different dispensation, just as Adam and Eve did. And in this dispensation of grace (after the cross) God is calling out another nation for Himself. He is calling a bride, composed of all believers.

But this in no way shows that the church has replaced Israel. It only shows that today God is calling out a people for Himself, not replacing the nation of Israel at all. If that were the truth, then God would be a liar for he has made a covenant with the Jews forever, a perpetual covenant, throughout their generations forever. We are not those Jews.
    DHK

2. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

I believe that was basically the same opinion the Sanhedrin had in opposing Jesus.....Interesting also, that there was no pope at Hippo and Carthage :confused: Maybe, because there was no Pope, No Roman Catholic Church in the 4th century. :eek: Of course all the early councils made decisions based on a consensus not on papal decrees of authority.

3. CatholicConvert

CatholicConvert New Member

There may not have been popes at every council, but from what I read as I studied the Faith, there was first of all a representative of the papacy there, and secondly, the final decisions of the council had to go to the pope for final ratification or rejection. In other words, the Chair of St. Peter was still that office which was promised infallibility in doctrinal matters, therefore, all concicular decisions were run by him.

We know that this is a fact from the witness of history also. Quite simply, in the sixth century, from approximately 515 - 550 AD, EVERY SINGLE EASTERN BISHOP WAS AN ARIAN HERETIC!! and had it not been for St. Athanasius and the pope standing firm against this heresy, YOU sir, as well as the rest of us, would all be Arian heretics today!!!

You should really thank God that the pope was there to stand for the truth!!

4. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

GOD has ALWAYS had a remnant. Peter Lombard
    was of such. John Wyclif was of such.
    Martin Luther was of such.

The LORD has placed the right men in the right
    spot at the right moment in time, to stand
    against the worship of Church and point it
    back to Christ.