1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Its official, there are more Mexicans in Texas than Texans

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by TexasSky, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

It has nothing to do with economics.

It has everything to do with illegals pumping out kids left and right once they get here and then expecting the government to pick up the tab.

Btw, Johnv, Whites are the majority in the U.S. and the plurality in Texas, so a majority-rules system still works in my argument's favor.

If the modern-day immigrants would conform like earlier immigrants did, then there would be no need to have this discussion and we could all live together hunky-dory.

Why did you feel the need to learn English when you came here? or did you know the language before coming? Either way, the reason you learned it was because it is the majority language spoken here and life is much easier since you have conformed.

I don't ask people to give up their heritage when they come here, but they should, at the very least, learn how to communicate with 99.999% of American citizens.

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

If those kids are pumped out here, they are Texans, future tax-payers, shoveling their dollars into my social security fund. What's the big deal being white or not white?

What makes you think earlier immigrants "conformed" any more than present day ones?

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Yes, in massive numbers

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Actually, illegal immigration has not been the issue in this conversation. The issue of illegal immigration is a serious issue, one that Texans as well as we Califnronains are having to combat.

The issue here is not one of illegal immigration. The issue seems to be whether or not a certain segment of the populus should assimilate to the rest of the populus. The problem there is that we have not cleary defined what it means to assimilate in this example, nor have we defined what they should assimilate to.

So, the rest of the US should tell Texas what to do? So much for the Southern insistance of States' rights.

But let's assume you're right. Well, as soon as the majority can get their own to speak English, then they can tell others what language to speak. But in this day kids in school don't even have adequate language skills, it seems a bit hypocritical.

Define "assimilate". Because the last time I went to Hawaii, it looks to me as though the US assimilated themselves to the local cluture, not the other way around. As I said: You say "Aloha" and "Mahalo" and everyone thinks it's cool. You say "Hola" and "Gracias" and everyone is up in arms.

In fact, the issue of "primary language" wasn't even the issue here either. The issue of the OP was pretty much "white texan" vs everyone else.

I had some basic understanding of English when I came. I learned the rest. I also learned I also know some Spanish, because I live in Southern California. Why did I learn English? Because that's the language that the people that I deal with speak. That's the same reason I've been learning Spanish. Because that's the language that's spoken around me. My mother had a difficult time with English, and her mother spoke none at all.

But, like I said, the issue of the OP was't even about language. So I guess now we're assuming that a non-white in Texas automatically doesn't speak English?
    The Founding Fathers didn't seem to agree. They distributed copies of the Declaration of Independence in English, German, and Dutch.

Like I said, I'm all in favor of a national language. But until then, who decides what the common language is? It is the consumer.

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I don't agree with an official language or language protection. The French and the Quebecois continually try to grant protection to the French language, when it really needs none. Language is a fluid and evolving thing.

6. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with you, Terry.
    Faithgirl46

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know... all of the subtle racism by people I normally agree with on politics is sickening.

I know some Texans of spanish descent who resent being called Mexican and will correct you for saying it. They consider themselves Texans first, Americans second, and Mexicans never.

But for what its worth, I like the Mexicans and respect them for the most part. Unlike many native born "'mericans", they are willing to work hard without immediate gratification.

For instance, a couple of young guys I knew of in Atlanta came up and worked temp jobs for $6-$8 an hour. The saved every penny they could and put up with living conditions that our welfare class turn their noses up at. These guys were teenagers and put 8-10 years of blood, sweat, and tears into their dream... then went back to Mexico and bought a ranch.

A teenage Peruvian girl that worked for me was here for one reason- her mother needed a stomach surgery she couldn't afford.

Those type stories are the rule for these people that I have known.

While I am sure some of your horror stories are true, I am likewise certain that mine are probably more prevalent than yours.

One more question for honest reflection: If the situation were reversed and we were the Mexicans, would we be trying to cross the border? Would we let an imaginary line on a map prevent us from keeping our families from starving?

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Scott,

Maybe you need to rethink your politics! [​IMG]

"I am your father. Join me, and I will complete your training. Old ObiWan never told you about the power of the Dark Side!"

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a load of racist garbage.

My grandfather, born and raised in Durango, Durango, and father came here in 1924.

My grandfather had a Ph.D. in European History.

My dad had a Ph.D. in Graphic Arts.

My siblings hold:

Eldest brother, DDS.
    Second eldest brother, Ph.D. Graphic Arts.
    Third eldest brother, Ph.D. Electrical Engineering.
    Forth eldest brother, Ph.D. Political Science.
    Eldest sister, MBA.
    Second eldest sister, M.A., Graphic Arts.
    Then there is "anti-education" me. Th.D.

As far as "blending in" goes you couldn't tell any of us from your lily white next door neighbor.

10. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

What a load of racist garbage.

My grandfather, born and raised in Durango, Durango, and father came here in 1924.

My grandfather had a Ph.D. in European History.

My dad had a Ph.D. in Graphic Arts.

My siblings hold:

Eldest brother, DDS.
    Second eldest brother, Ph.D. Graphic Arts.
    Third eldest brother, Ph.D. Electrical Engineering.
    Forth eldest brother, Ph.D. Political Science.
    Eldest sister, MBA.
    Second eldest sister, M.A., Graphic Arts.
    Then there is "anti-education" me. Th.D.

As far as "blending in" goes you couldn't tell any of us from your lily white next door neighbor.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Another typical [snip] post. :rolleyes:

[ August 14, 2005, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: C4K ]

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Always glad to expose [snipped]it is.

[ August 14, 2005, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: C4K ]

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

This thread is on page three. It will be closed no earlier than 1830 EDT unless the personal attacks continue, in which case it will be closed with no notice.

Roger
    C4K

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Always glad to expose [snipped]it is. </font>[/QUOTE]So it is against BB rules to expose racism and bigotry? That is very interesting. I didn't know the BB was pro-racism and bigotry. When did this radical change take place?

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)