1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I've Given Up Dispensationalism...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TCGreek, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Good to hear! One more person who has been saved from an endless parade of illustrations, flow charts, and arrows, that would confuse a NASA engineer...

2. pilgrim2009

pilgrim2009 New Member

Myself have moved to a postmillennial return of Christ.

Amen to your comment HD.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

"Study to show thyself approved unto God..."

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Curious...when does the church inherit the land?

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

If your Biblical system cannot be understood without a 1000 page book, and a 1500 poster boards with illustrations, it is most likely wrong. God says He has revealed Himself to the simple, not to the rocket scientists.

6. pilgrim2009

pilgrim2009 New Member

#86 pilgrim2009, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Havensdad: "...that would confuse a NASA engineer." :laugh:

Well, I had trouble reconciling a lot of what I found in Dispensationalism with what the text of Scripture was naturally yielding.

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Could be in the NEW EARTH [Revelation 21 and 22; Isaiah 65:17; Isaiah 66:22]

Isaiah 66:22 taken in context is particularly interesting:

Isaiah 66:15-24
    15. For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.
    16. For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.
    17. They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine’s flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD.
    18. For I know their works and their thoughts: it shall come, that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come, and see my glory.
    19. And I will set a sign among them, and I will send those that escape of them unto the nations, to Tarshish, Pul, and Lud, that draw the bow, to Tubal, and Javan, to the isles afar off, that have not heard my fame, neither have seen my glory; and they shall declare my glory among the Gentiles.
    20. And they shall bring all your brethren for an offering unto the LORD out of all nations upon horses, and in chariots, and in litters, and upon mules, and upon swift beasts, to my holy mountain Jerusalem, saith the LORD, as the children of Israel bring an offering in a clean vessel into the house of the LORD.
    21. And I will also take of them for priests and for Levites, saith the LORD.
    22. For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
    23. And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.
    24. And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

Verses 15 & 16 appear prophetic of Revelation 19.

9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Thank you sir.

10. OldRegular

You are very welcome!

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Have you met anyone who understands the charts, etc. especially considering the fact that dispensationalism has made at least two major changes in the last 35 years? I have not met anyone who does and that includes students and pastors.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly...and a plain reading of 1 and 2 Thessalonians supports my view quite nicely. I will counter that it takes eschatalogical gymnastics to squeeze the church into the meaning of Israel.

13. OldRegular

No one is trying to squeeze the Church into the meaning of National or carnal Israel. The Church is the continuation of Spiritual Israel, the believing remnant of the Old Testament. Paul clearly shows this in Romans 11 in the parable of the olive trees [assuming one is willing to believe Scripture].

By the way there is nothing in Thessalonians 1 or 2 that indicates a pre-trib rapture. That is just something that is read into them by dispensationalists.

14. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I have never found the charts particularly helpful or confusing. They were ways that people used to try to help others understand. Some of them were good, and others were bad. I guess there are some who just don't get it.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why do you continually equate your understanding of Scripture as Scripture itself...and any disagreement with your and your view "not believing Scripture"? Getting quite "old", regular...

The parable in Romans 11 refutes your view, not supports it. If a cherry branch is grafted into an orange tree, it still remains a cherry branch...but it is given life by the tree. Your view has the cherry branch becoming an orange branch upon grafting. Silly.

#95 webdog, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  16. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

Good question, as I read on I'm wondering the same thing. Talk about pontification!!

Darren

17. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

According to your opinion. :sleeping_2:

Darren

18. OldRegular

Probably because I have been talking to dispensationalists so much I have picked up their bad habits.

At least I have not picked up the habit of questioning the veracity of God if He does not agree with my interpretation.

19. OldRegular

Then prove it!

20. Darrenss1

Darrenss1 New Member

Yes and its very obvious to see when coming down to interpreting Rom 11 and the 144,000 sealed of Israel. Has God cast off Israel? Certainly NOT!!

Darren