1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ivy League Divinity Schools, What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jamal5000, Nov 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Ivy league schools are like toilet paper, they were good once .

2. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

Lol@Daniel. [​IMG]

You think they've gotten that bad, Daniel? [​IMG]

3. LarryN

LarryN New Member

In a word, the best description of Ivy League divinity schools is "pluralistic". In the worst of the P.C.-driven movement towards "diversity" and "tolerance" these schools will welcome students with virtually any beliefs. This means that if I, as a fundamentalist Christian were to attend, I could expect my classmates to be a mixture of not only (nominal) Christians; but also Buddhists, Shintoists, Orthodox Jews, Muslims, and many others.

The author Ari Goldman (himself an Orthodox Jew) spent a year at Harvard Divinity School writing The Search for God at Harvard. Anyone wishing greater insight into the school won't be dissapointed by this book.
    Essentially Harvard Divinity, along with the others, expouses the belief that all sincere paths lead to the same God.

A few years ago I introduced myself to the passenger seated next to me on a 3-hour flight. When he introduced himself to me as "Harvey Cox", I immediately recognized him from the book dust-jacket photos I'd seen. For those who may not know the name, Harvey Cox is a very well-known faculty member at Harvard Divinity.
    For the remainder of the flight, I had a conversation with this outwardly charming, witty, pleasant man- who also happens to be one of the leading proponants of pluralism!

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jamal, for many of us the battles over Harvard and Yale were fought and resolved so long ago as to be the equivalents of the Mexican-American and Franco-Prussian Wars. In the case of Princeton Theological, make that WWI. It is because of those battles that schools like Moody, Biola, and Dallas, and later Bob Jones College/University were founded. In other words, my fond dislike for the "Ivy League" schools is based not on the experiences of this or my father's generation. It is based on experiences going back almost to the Civil War. (Harvard, IIRC, had problems with Unitarianism/Universalism going back to the early 1800s.)

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of the errors of modernism/liberalism that took sway in the Ivy League divinity schools came from the same source.

German/Continental "higher criticism" of their professors. In order to get the BEST education in the world, these men went to Europe and were weaned on this ungodly philosophy. They brought it back and began inbreeding it to the next generation of pastors and professors.

And then where did the "best" of the pastors and profs go for THEIR graduate work? To the Ivy League schools.

Destroyed entire denominations, ripping them from the Scriptural roots . . and today their poisoned fruit is evident in many denominations and lesser schools.

Infecting the SBC for certain sure . .

6. Chuck S

Chuck S New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am an older man who has been a Christian since I was 23 and at the expense of sounding critical, I will give my experiences. The Ivy League divinity schools like Yale, Harvard, and Duke where I am in Durham, NC, are so far off from Scriptures as to be barely Christian, if at all. Many, if not most of them do not believe in the resurrection, the miracles performed by Jesus and the prophets, and completely discount and ignore any references to Bible prophecy and the return of Christ. They view the Scriptures as fascinating literature and that is as far as they go. Read 2 Timothy 3:5,7. They have a form of godliness but deny the power. I have had 3 pastors over the many years from Ivy Leagues and they will white wash the Scriptures to where you do not recognize them. They will read off 1 or 2 verses for their sermons and then go off on countless irrelevant tangents that have nothing whatsoever to do with the Bible verses and often refer to non-Christian authors about sociology, psychology, and history. Avoid them if you truly believe in the truth of Scriptures. Yours in Christ ~~~ Chuck S

7. Chuck S

Chuck S New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One last comment.
    The graduates from many if not most of the ivy league schools know little to literally nothing about Scriptures. I have quoted verses to them several times and they will have no idea what I was referring to until I show it to them in Scriptures. They know very little about the Bible as hard as that may be to believe. They study pretty much everything BUT Scriptures in these schools. They study commentaries and histories and emphasize sociology and psychology. I am here in Durham, NC where Duke University is, and these graduates and pastors are everywhere and in many of the churches. They have watered down the Bible so much that it is barely recognizable.

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This zombie thread from 2003 is now closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.