1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

J. C. Philpot Devotional Books

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by KenH, Oct 19, 2021.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A couple of wonderful books I have added to my devotional reading in 2022. :)

upload_2021-10-19_17-8-8.png

• Like Like x 1
  2. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Among my dozen or so books that I juggle, I enjoy reading the Bitesize biography of William Gadsby (1773-1844). I also meditate on his hymnbook. He, of course, was a close friend of J.C. Philpot (1773-1844). Both were strict And Particular Baptists. Then the Gospel Standard was founded in 1835. They were the primary leaders. Philpot was the better educated one. He was formerly a minister of the Church of England.

I also have Valiant For Truth, which is a bio of J.K. Popham (1847-1937) The bio was written by J.H. Gosden. Iain Murray suggests that A.W. Pink may have heard sermons by Popham for a bit before heading to America .

One of my favorite authors among the GS is B.A. Ramsbottom. He has written many worthy books. And a number of them have had good reviews in The Banner Of Truth magazine.

Most of the Articles of Faith for the Gospel Standard group are solidly scriptural. But six of them are sadly Hyper-Calvinistic.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @RipponRedeaux I also gain much from reading A Spiritual Treasury for the Children of God by William Mason and The Poor Man's Morning and Evening Portions by Robert Hawker.

4. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know about Hawker (1753-1827), but I have not read any of his material to date. Man, a poor man's this, and a poor man's that. He had a niche market! Among the things Spurgeon said of him :
    "There is always such a savor of the Lord Jesus Christ in Dr. Hawker that you can't read him without profit."

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Poor Man's Morning and Evening Portions (monergism.com)

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @RipponRedeaux Another nice resource is The Diary of Ruth Bryan(Gleanings from the Inner Life of Ruth Bryan (bereansoftallassee.com). She has some very interesting postings, such as this:

"Since Mr. S— called upon me, I have been much desiring the jubilee trumpet to be sounded in my soul, that is, I long to be brought into Gospel liberty. I believe some of the Lord’s people are favored with it. But, for myself, I only seem to see it at a distance. Conversing with a minister on that subject which is my daily grief and perplexity, indwelling sin and its activity, he said, “What do you think of sanctification?” Having told him, he asked, “Do you think it has anything to do with the flesh?” I replied, “To subdue and mortify;” but he rejoined, “Do you expect the flesh made holy?” “Not in my judgment,” I answered; “but I really begin to think I am expecting in my experience what my judgment disallows.” “I thought so,” said he, “and that was the reason I asked the question; remember that that which is born of the flesh is flesh, and ever will be!” He then showed that the believer’s perfection is in Christ; that while in the body we shall never be free from sin. But while groaning on account of it, we may be enabled by the Holy Spirit to recognize interest in the covenant, and deliverance through Christ, as Rom. 7:24, 25. This seems just what I want, and, if for the Divine glory, I trust it will be given. During the above conversation, my mind was forcibly struck with the conviction that I had been looking for something from and in my flesh which the Word of God does not warrant me to expect; if so, may the Holy Spirit deliver me from this error. I feel exceedingly confused, and full of ignorance. Oh that He may condescend to teach me, and lead me to look straight out of self, to a glorious Christ!" - from the Diary of Ruth Bryan on June 10, 1838