1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jacob: A Matter of Loyalty

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Oct 24, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Matter of Loyalty

October 24, 2007

Is loyalty important in politics?

Well, yes. Sure.

But I don’t think of loyalty as dedication to a party or a president. I think, instead, of principle.

In a debate early in October, Republican candidates Tom Tancredo and Ron Paul eagerly declared their disloyalty . . . to the Republican candidates that they thought were sending the country in the wrong direction. Neither Tancredo nor Paul said they would be willing to support the ultimate Republican nominee for president if the candidate chosen did not align with their views.

For Tancredo, that is about illegal immigration and border control. For Ron Paul, it’s about getting out of Iraq; he says America’s presence there has been a disaster. Ron Paul said he wouldn’t support any of his Republican competitors unless, and I quote, “they’re willing to end the war and bring our troops home.”

Sen. John McCain quickly replied, “You don’t want me then, pal.”

Now some may see it as disloyal to the party to run for its presidential nomination without agreeing to support the eventual nominee. And party regulars are certainly free to vote against such candidates. But as for me, whether I agree with a candidate’s ideas or not, I like it when they are loyal — not to their party or some clique of supporters, but to their ideas, their principles.

Loyalty is important — Loyalty to the people one represents and the principles one stands for.

This is Common Sense. I’m Paul Jacob.

- www.samadamsalliance.org/common_sense

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Well said.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless, by their disloyalty, they do damage to their country.

Where does the higher loyalty lie?

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'd agree. But how do you mean?

5. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

General sanchez recently answered that question in his view of the media.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While they may disagree with their own partymember, by not supporting them they run the larger risk of aiding in the election of someone who is diametrically opposed to everything they stand for...except one thing.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

7. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

No one is a perfect candidate. Each of us in choosing whom to support looks at the individual candidates and what they proclaim as their platforms. We balance these declarations with a number of other factors, to determine who to support. No candidate should promise to vote my way but to vote his own conscience. It's up to us to determine who to support. The problem is these days, it's impossible to know who's telling the truth, and who's not. The politicians job now days is to get elected, not serve the needs of the country. And the old adage that if a politicians lips are moving, he's lying, seems to fit.

We should have never allowed politics to become a career.

8. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Term limits would squelch a lot of nonsense.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Most of the time, one will identify with one party over another. However, at times, parties pick inept leaders, so blind loyalty is what harms this country. It also shows a lack of ability to think for themselves for those with blind loyalty. We have been given a sound mind and a discerning spirit by God.

Also, there are some issues I can disagree with a politician over and still vote for him, taking the person totally. There is one exception to that, and for me, that is abortion.